PDA

View Full Version : Work Loads Around The Country

Curly Quavers
15-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey,

Kal's post about signing her first contract (outside the family) since registering in March got me thinking.

What is the work rate like around the country are you all busy? Do you have many other minders in your area?

I am in rural Scotland and I am full, have been since I registered in June this year. However I am the only minder in my village at the moment and every other minder in a 5(ish) mile radius are near enough full (certainly not full time places going spare)

TheBTeam
15-11-2009, 05:19 PM
We are doing okay at the moment, and there are lots of minders aroung us, some aren't doing so well, but there is probably a reason for that, others like most of my friends are doing okay.

fionamal
15-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Theres about 22 minders in my town and its very quiet just now so we are all looking for business although ive only got 1 fulltime space left to fill.

Twinkles
15-11-2009, 05:29 PM
There are quite a lot of minders locally and we all seem to have as much work as we want/need.

I'm not full through choice in fact this year I've been turning away work as never before.

I'm in Surrey.

Carpet Monkeys
15-11-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm just going thro the process of registering and am quite worried whether I'll get enough work ... as there are 2 other minders in my road and 3 in an adjacent roads! Shall have to see what happens when I'm totally registered.

chels55
15-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Fine at the moment but awful lot of competition in my area 50+ childminders and 12 nurseries

Alibali
15-11-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm OK at the mo, however a lot of my friends have been waiting for months to fill their spaces. We have a lot of childminders, and another 3 newly registered and 2 new nurseries opened within a mile radius of me. So a lot of competition for when I am looking.

daisyboo1980
15-11-2009, 08:54 PM
alot of minders around my area im only reg in sept and im as full as i want to be could maybe get a part timer in the mornings but im happy at the min , ive 7 on my books at the min but 2 are my niece and nephew but my partner's niece is looking to go back to work in the new year and i may be getting her little one in the new year

loocyloo
15-11-2009, 09:17 PM
i'm in north hampshire, i'm as full as i want to be, with 2 almost fulltimers booked in for the new year.

other minders i know seem to be ok, with a steady trickle of children. new minders seem to be finding it a bit harder though.

Gizmo
15-11-2009, 09:29 PM
I am full for pre school but dd takes up a place, not much going on with school places I have noticed doing the school run that there are loads of grandparents picking the kids up. I am in a village with 5 reg cms at the mo I know of another 3 people looking to become cms as they cant find work and they think cm is an easy way to earn some cash

jaja
16-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I need to fill a full time space, got a new part timer in december but apart from that i have two before and after school and a 11m two days a week. so money wise i really need to fill full time space asap....

two other minders in area and both same as me...

haribo
16-11-2009, 12:37 PM
im near liverpool and had no enquiries for a while . one cm friend has just packed in as she had no work at all .

teacake2
16-11-2009, 02:25 PM
I live near Burton on Trent in the heart of the midlands and things are very slow for me and I think some of the others in our village are the same, really struggling at the moment, may have to take on a part-time job to make ends meet.:( :(
Teacake 2

venus89
16-11-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm in Kent and it's quiet at the moment - nobody has had any enquiries for awhile - but equally we are all fairly full. There are probably about 10 of us in our little town.....

Helen Dempster
16-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I've only got one mindee right now, and it's been like that for months :( I've had tons of enquiries, but they've all fallen through (usually cos I can't do the school run where their child/ren are). Hopefully something will come along soon (could do with the money running up to Christmas).

terrydoo73
16-11-2009, 02:50 PM
I live in Northern Ireland - the North Western Corner near L/Derry and things are pretty full here at the moment. I live about 6 miles from my nearest town and have 4 full timers (all preschoolers) with spaces for 2 after school - I never can fill these 2 afterschool spaces as no-one wants to send their child out of the town into the country. There is one little girl in my setting who I know will stay with me when she goes to school next September so one afterschool space will be kept for her. Her little brother will start the year after and as they live on my road it will more likely mean they will be with me for a few years yet. I do have spaces on Friday and Monday for another part timer but I am not looking to fill it. The twins I have on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday could be gone tomorrow depending on mums situation work and personal wise so I just do not know. Before these children came along I found it desperate to get just 1 more full timer. I am definately going to be looking to change my children next year if at all possible - I would prefer 3 preschoolers just up to 1 each day then I would have the afterschoolers from 2 pm as it would be easier for my daughter to get homeworks done earlier each evening - my mindees sometimes do not leave to 6/6.30 from 8 am each day! I think that is the disadvantage of being neighbours children!

Pudding Girl
16-11-2009, 04:43 PM
aha, wondered where you'd gone CQ, we've both namechanged then! ;)

Well up here with the few CMs I know it's mostly little scrapy vacancies left, most are as busy as they want to be, but then that's just a handful, not sure about what the situation is like for the rest of the area as taken a huge step back "socially"

Curly Quavers
16-11-2009, 05:22 PM
aha, wondered where you'd gone CQ, we've both namechanged then! ;)

Well up here with the few CMs I know it's mostly little scrapy vacancies left, most are as busy as they want to be, but then that's just a handful, not sure about what the situation is like for the rest of the area as taken a huge step back "socially"

lol hiya x yes my username was far to obvious!

debbie
16-11-2009, 05:50 PM
i'm not doing too badly have 11 mindees on my books 10 are part timers/afterschoolers have 1 baby 1 1/2 days a week. do need a full timer though would be so much easier. there are quite a few minders around and live 5 mins from a childrens centre. however i do help at another nursery 2 days a week which feels in some gaps as bank staff, may not be regular but its a foot in the door if any jobs come up and i decide childminding s not for me.:)

wellybelly
16-11-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm in Derbyshire and I am full full full! I've been full since March this year.

I have actually had 11 enquiries this last week, its mental.

Ripeberry
16-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Within 2 miles of me (rural), there are three pre-schools, two after school clubs and 18 other minders who are not all full. Just not enough kids around at the moment :(
The after school club at my daughter's school has been struggling, so as Monday is my day off, my two girls are going there once a week. At least I get a nice long day to myself....and the EYFS/accounts paperwork :D
At the moment I'm full as I want to be, until my inspection, then I'll start advertising again.

Zoomie
16-11-2009, 09:13 PM
I am about as full as I want to be, but had a enquiry today (first one since Aug) and I strangley said I may have a vacancy ......

I don't think the CIS (or parents know how site) is helping much ....

Playmate
16-11-2009, 09:26 PM
We live on the edge of a 2mile LA estate and compete with 49 other CM's.We are full (apart from the one we received notice on today!) most of our children come from across the county boarders.

yummymummy
17-11-2009, 08:48 AM
I live in a London suburb and can say that for at least 5 years things haven't been great locally for childminders. We have so many day nurseries and virtually every school has breakfast, afterschool and holiday clubs as well as childrens centres. It is impossible to compete pricewise with these so I have given up and just don't do afterschool anymore. Saying that I am as full as I want to be but then I only work 3 days a week. They are though all repeat business coming back to me after maternity leave. Haven't had an enquiry through FIS for ages. It used to be that if you lived in certain areas the childminders there were busier as a rule but noticed recently one who I used to talk to at a group was advertising two spaces on netmums, she used to try to make me feel as if there was something wrong with me as she used to positively crow about how she had no problems filling her vacancies. It would seem that it is as bad everywhere locally to here now. It's funny because the general concensus on here seems to be the closer you live to London the better the work situation but this isn't always the case!

estrelas
17-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Where i am there's 4 childminders in our road, maybe 10 houses between us, and we are all full. Lucky really I registered in March and was full within the month

Straws
17-11-2009, 06:39 PM
There are several childminders in my village, we all seem to be doing ok although we dont get many for before and after school care due to the school having a before and after school club, which only charges £13 for a full day 8am-6pm in the school hols

Straws xx

patevans
17-11-2009, 07:04 PM
There's 4 childminders that I have regular contact with, 2 in my street and 2 in the next street and we are all full, I do have some afterschool vacancies available but I am quite happy not to fill them :D