PDA

View Full Version : First Aid question

nokidshere
15-11-2009, 12:12 AM
I did my first aid update this week - very exciting - NOT!

Anyway...

Question: A child comes to the door after playing outside with a large deep cut to his wrist. It looks like an arterial bleed because the blood is spouting high up into the air very fast. He is very pale, lips are going blue and he is obviously in shock. What do you do first?

haribo
15-11-2009, 08:09 AM
errm apply pressure ?? eleveate the arm and if the bleeding continues find the pulse in the armpit and apply pressure to slow the bleeding . its early ive just got up :laughing: :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
15-11-2009, 09:29 AM
get someone to call 999 and elevate, apply pressure, if possible tornaquay (sorry spelling is wrong) and write down if you can, even on the forehead, what time you put it on

Pipsqueak
15-11-2009, 09:33 AM
get someone to call 999 and elevate, apply pressure, if possible tornaquay (sorry spelling is wrong) and write down if you can, even on the forehead, what time you put it on
spot on Debbie!:thumbsup: (guess who else has just refreshed first aid)

David Sheppard
15-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I did my first aid update this week - very exciting - NOT!

Anyway...

Question: A child comes to the door after playing outside with a large deep cut to his wrist. It looks like an arterial bleed because the blood is spouting high up into the air very fast. He is very pale, lips are going blue and he is obviously in shock. What do you do first?

No doubting the validity of the replies:thumbsup:

Sorry, just had a 'Monty Python' moment reading this - couldn't help visualising frantic typing of question to forum as panic set in 'What do you do first?'. ::eek: : Answer 'Ask the forum...'

Blue Boy
15-11-2009, 11:56 AM
First rate answers. Be careful we are turning into nurses and if you have seen the news this week the government want all nurses to have a degree level by 2012. Does this sound familar just substitue the word government for ofsted.

Love

Mick xx

nikim
15-11-2009, 05:46 PM
put gloves on to protect against cross contamination :rolleyes:
i did mine 2 weeks ago and all she kept harping on about was the danger of contracting an illness from a casualty :rolleyes:

nokidshere
15-11-2009, 05:56 PM
put gloves on to protect against cross contamination :rolleyes:
i did mine 2 weeks ago and all she kept harping on about was the danger of contracting an illness from a casualty :rolleyes:

I was really happy to see that no-one (until now LOL) said "go and put gloves on" Our tutor also kept harping on about gloves and drove me mad. (did we have the same tutor? l am also in Wilts :laughing: )

My son slashed his wrist when he was 5 years old on a piece of glass :( if my friend (who turned up on the doorstep at the same time he did) hadn't wrapped her bare, and probably dirty, hand over the cut immediately he would have died - he had already lost tons of blood coming from next door to me.

*** the first aid box - we picked up the first thing we found - a teatowel - wrapped it round and called 999.

I understand that we need to know "best practice" but it concerned me that she was adamant about going to get the gloves and first aid box first.

TheBTeam
15-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Same with my sons leg injury, not one person bothered about gloves! We used a triangular bandage to hold up the hole, they can be used for almost anything!!

nikim
15-11-2009, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=nokidshere;573858]I was really happy to see that no-one (until now LOL) said "go and put gloves on" Our tutor also kept harping on about gloves and drove me mad. (did we have the same tutor? l am also in Wilts :laughing: )

lol i did mine with a4 training where abouts in wilts are you

Chatterbox Childcare
15-11-2009, 10:30 PM
spot on Debbie!:thumbsup: (guess who else has just refreshed first aid)

Mine was 18 months ago! :laughing:

Pipsqueak
15-11-2009, 10:39 PM
ditto - when James cut his head open a teatowel sufficed and when Rob was small and he cut his face - the trusty teatowel done the job again!