PDA

View Full Version : do you use a theme

Karaza
14-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Just wondered whether anybody knows ofsted's opinion on using a theme I always used to use a theme for my planning and adapt it to individual child's needs but my network co-ordinator is adament you can not do that under eyfs as all planning must be child focused on each child's latest interests I now find I struggle for ideas and also planning takes hours now not just the 10 minutes per child it used to take I have 13 on my book and can take 26 hours to plan I don't see how this can be possibly better for me or children

sophiestars
15-11-2009, 12:08 AM
I use themes as it helps me focus on activities more. I will also incorporate the children's interests but mine are all quite small so it can be difficult sometimes.
My network co-ordinator recently said at some training i went on that themes are fine if that's what works for you. Not all childminders do it but it has certainly helped me, and my 'parents' like it, too.
When I had my inspection the inspector didn't say anythhing either way. I think the worry with ofsted is that they don't want you to be saying for example 'right children we are doing this today' and making them do it whether they like it or not. As long as you can show that you incorporate the children's interests that's fine, even if you don't do anything you had planned that day because the children went off on a different tangent. On your planning you can put that you planned to do certain things that day but the children wanted to do something different that interested them.

Twinkles
15-11-2009, 01:06 AM
I have monthly themes. Then adapt that theme to fit each childs needs /interests.

Surely you have to up to a point otherwise how would you expand a child's kuw ?
I've yet to have a child say to me ' I'd really like to find out more about Diwali' or ' Isn't it Thanksgiving soon let's look at that '.

Pipsqueak
15-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Yep I have overarching themes. Adapted to a childs individual needs where necessary.
I also have an individual plan for each child of things to perhaps develop over the next month or so.

sarah707
15-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Yep I have overarching themes. Adapted to a childs individual needs where necessary.
I also have an individual plan for each child of things to perhaps develop over the next month or so.

I do exactly the same as Pips.

It is very important that you plan a mixture / balance of adult led and child initiated activities.

It says so in the Eyfs :D

Karaza
15-11-2009, 07:06 PM
thank you thought my co-ordinator might be being bit ott telling me I have to do separate activities for up to 13 children has been nightmare will go back to my old way which worked well for me before and ofsted liked too