PDA

View Full Version : Is This Reasonable?

helenlc
14-11-2009, 08:33 AM
My 10 month old baby is leaving at Xmas as parents have moved. They are still bringing the older sister to the school down the road so are planning to bring the baby to me until Xmas when they change the sisters school to one near them.

That's fine.

But yesterday a lady called me wanting to come and see me about having her 4 month old baby 3 days a week - starting on the 24th of this month!!:eek: So she is coming Monday to see me.

Obviously I cant do both babies. But neither can I afford to turn away this new lady for the sake of my 10 mth old only coming for another few weeks.

I have enquired with a friend who is a childminder near the baby;s new house as to whether she has any vacancies. Initially I was asking for vacancies from Xmas but have now asked her if she could have him from the week after next if this new lady signs.

Obviously there will be no notice period on either side. I would only charge the original mum for the weeks I have worked (she pays at the end of the month). Mum wouldnt have to miss any work as the other cm will be able to start immediately.

What I want to know is this - is it reasonable for me to say to the orginal mum (who is leaving at Xmas) that I have someone else needing me and that I cannot afford to turn them down when they are leaving in a few weeks anyway. And that I have found another childminder who is able to start immediately?

Thanks

Hebs
14-11-2009, 08:34 AM
no it's not and they should be happy your trying to help them :thumbsup:

haribo
14-11-2009, 08:42 AM
id say its very reasonable :thumbsup:

Pudding Girl
14-11-2009, 09:53 AM
I'd say it was reasonable, have done this myself, just be aware that they might want to hold you to the contract and there wouldn't be much you could do though, if they wanted to be funny about it.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Your parents sound like very nice people so I would ask them and explain why.

You could still have mindee for the other two days and the three days with the new minder could be the settling in period before going full time.

Are you full and cannot have 2 under 1 or do you have a space? Ask Ofsted for a 3 week variation for the 3 days as I really think you will get it.

helenlc
14-11-2009, 10:24 AM

You could still have mindee for the other two days and the three days with the new minder could be the settling in period before going full time.

Are you full and cannot have 2 under 1 or do you have a space? Ask Ofsted for a 3 week variation for the 3 days as I really think you will get it.

I am full so if I had both babies I would have 4 under 5, 2 of them being under 1. Not sure if I would get a variation for this as taking a new one on?

Twinkles
14-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm sure mum will understand. I think you've done all you can to help and they will see that.

The Juggler
14-11-2009, 12:04 PM

I would go for the variation route also. I think you are being very reasonable. Some minders might give a months notice immediately to first family.

Alibali
14-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Sounds very reasonable and parents sound like reasonable people too, hope it works out well. Perhaps if the parents do make you stick to contract new mum could ask family to help or something for the 2 weeks?(assuming you give notice now)

singingcactus
14-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I did something like this last week. I found a new childminder and mum started with her the next day. The mum I am talking about was a quite unreasonable woman BUT even she went for it straight away. So if your mum is a nice mum then I can't see that she will have too many problems assuming she visits the childminder and is happy with her.
Good luck.

TheBTeam
14-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Sounds okay to me, as said as long as she likes the new minder.

carol cameron
14-11-2009, 06:10 PM
I have been told that Ofsted wont give a variation to enable you to begin caring for a new child so you may be as well going with the new childminder situation.You are being perfectly reasonable under the circumstances. Good luck.:)

helenlc
14-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Thank you.

I dont think Ofsted wil give it to allow me to start a new child.

Hopefully Mum will like the other childminder and be happy to start with her.

Will wait and see what happens Monday with the new mum - I am assuming she is going to want to sign contracts ASAP if she wants care to start the following week.

Will keep you posted.