PDA

View Full Version : Advice please.

katickles
03-03-2008, 02:55 PM
OK - As some of you may know I have my first mindee starting tomorrow. 3yr old. My concern is that mindee is still in nappies & has not been potty trained at all yet. I am wanting to crack on with this asap but will need to speak to parents about this first.

I'm hoping you can give me some advice as to how to talk to parents about this. I don't want them thinking i'm a know it all who's bossing them around & telling them how to parent there child.:panic:

angeldelight
03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Well I would wait and see what the child is like first

You really need to let the child settle and get used to your setting and to get used to you and the other children

He may be unsettled being away from mom - you know none of this yet

So potty training would be on the bottom of my list at the moment to be honest

Wait a few weeks and after observing him see what you think then

Good luck tomorrow let us know how it goes

Angel xx

ma7ie
03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
This is a tricky one. Personally I would leave it a few weeks before you say anything. It might be hard enough for the child being left, without having to think about potty training, and the child might not be ready yet anyway. :D

deeb66
03-03-2008, 03:04 PM
I agree with Angel

It would be best to leave it a while until the child is well and truely settled and comfortable.

To do it beforehand could end up causing no end of problems.

Spangles
03-03-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm sure that the parents haven't potty trained the child for a reason, they probably know that s/he isn't ready yet.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes apparent to you that they are definitely ready and distressed about wearing a nappy and then I'd just mention what I see to the parents and see what they think.

It's the parents job to initialise potty training and decide when the time is right. Not being argumentative but I wouldn't want a childminder telling me when to potty train my son or trying to take it over.

It's our jobs to work with the parents not the other way round.

Sorry, not being offensive at all it's just your message comes across as if you've taken it upon yourself to decide this child must be potty trained basically because of the age.

Apparently some boys for instance aren't ready for a long time after 3 years old some even get to 4 without being ready for training.

Sorry if I sound awful, I'm really not trying to be and I don't want to upset you!

katickles
03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for that - advice noted. I totaly understand that he'll need to settle in & get used to me & my home.

I didn't want to sound like i was being horrible Lorri - Like i'd said i didn't want the parents to think i was bossing them about or telling them how to parent there child, i'd never do that.

thanks for all your advice though :)

Spangles
03-03-2008, 03:37 PM
I didn't think you sounded like you were being horrible at all, please don't think that!

You are obviously just keen to get the child progressed in this area that's all!

You don't and didn't sound horrible!

x