PDA

View Full Version : When do you stop them?

Banana
03-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Ok so... following on from what I just said in the lounge about the kids playing. Just made me think of a question...

How long do you leave the kids to play at one activity? This morning we did some music and movement and after that had a snack and sit down. So then they made the doctor/vets surgery and have been treating all the animals/dolls etc... the place is a bombsite but they are really throwing themselves into it and are happy and content. But they started about 11.30 and are still going.... they have been pretending to drive the ambulance to pick people up too, i've never seen them so engrossed for so long.

Just wanted to find out your views really. Should I be saying

'thats enough lets do something else now to add variety

or is it ok to leave them as long as they are happy? where, if anywhere, do you stop the play for something else?

xx

sarah707
03-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I would never stop a happily engrossed child from playing unless we had to go out for a school pick up or it was past a meal time... then I would give them 10 minutes warning and ask them all to pitch in with the tidying up...

I would use the time to sit and beaver away at observations or doing my paperwork - after all, it says in eyfs it's important for children to see adults using ict!

Though now I have the conservatory I will happily leave things out for later which I couldn't do when exhusband wanted the place neat and tidy. :D

angeldelight
03-03-2008, 02:58 PM
They are happy ? Having fun ? Learning through play ?

Leave them sounds like fun to me

You can plan something another day or link what they are doing to EYFS

Angel xx

ma7ie
03-03-2008, 03:00 PM
I agree with Sarah. Enjoy it while you can. :D

Banana
03-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Oh well thats ok then... i was a bit worried I might get a different answer, like stop being a lazy bum and get and change the activity :D

I have been doing a couple of obs this afternoon - im mostly sitting here laughing though, they are really entertaining me.

Isabelle has just told 'j' off for giving the 'wrong type of imaginary food' to one of the patients????? Go figure :laughing:
xx

ajs
03-03-2008, 03:17 PM
was he meant to be having mango or papaya no banana or apple
now come on j surely you can be more imaginative with your fruit

deeb66
03-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Leave them to it!

If the kids are happily playing then I let them dictate.

However if one in the group has had enough then I generally roll out the next activity/game etc for them and let the other children decide on which of the two they want to play with.

Banana
03-03-2008, 03:26 PM
was he meant to be having mango or papaya no banana or apple
now come on j surely you can be more imaginative with your fruit

lol :D

x

emler
03-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Are they still going strong Lana????

Emler x

sarah32
03-03-2008, 03:45 PM
my two love playing with dolls and can do this most of the day, they love it so much I let them carry on.

ruby
03-03-2008, 05:18 PM
i agree with everyone else if they are enjoying themselves let them be.

Cathy

Banana
03-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Well muggins here has not long finished tidying up the 'surgery'.

They had a really nice time, and I had a relatively peaceful afternoon

xx

angeldelight
03-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Hey Lana you need to make that part of the game being tidy

Not sure it should be left for you

How is the baby now is it still crying all the time ?

xx

Banana
03-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Not got her til wed again.

She's still crying. Im going to have to peresvere though. I have looked at the sums and just cant afford to give her up. There is some hope though - 2 of current mindees mums are possibly increasing hours at (will be about an extra 24 in total) so if they do that I can afford to do it.

Enquiries been dead

x