PDA

View Full Version : Child Anxiety Advice

Helen Dempster
11-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Hello. I've just spent ages and ages googling this subject, and suddenly thought "Doh - ask the forum peeps! Someone's bound to know something about it", so here I am...

My nephew has just been diagnosed with Child Anxiety (he's 7yo). His mum had parents eve tonight and is v. worried as it appears he's going backwards in his school work rather than progressing. Is this a symptom, or is this just laziness? Apparently it's things he was doing well before, and now just doesn't have any interest. He says the work's hard, but his mum says it's easy. Do any of my cyber friends out there have any experience of this, are able to offer any advice (however small)? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Helen xx

PS: He's also a very fussy eater, is v.v.v. pale and skinny.

sarah707
11-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Poor little man, he must be very anxious.

Have the psych services not given parents a list of symptoms and ideas for supporting him? I think they need to follow it up.

Also he should be getting help with school - he might need a mentor in there. A CAF could help and the Senco should be involved.

It's like depression - if you are depressed everything slips doesn't it... eating, sleeping, home life, family relationships and yes, schooling.

There is a genetic link, especially if one or both parents are prone to depression.

Otherwise it tends to be a combination of psychological and environmental factors - anything from children who are new to the country, children who have seen atrocities, children who are incredibly timid and let everything worry them.

He needs huge amounts of gentle, caring support not pushing to improve his school work - there's time for that later. He's only 7 - in some countries he wouldn't even have started school!!

hth xx

Helen Dempster
11-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Poor little man, he must be very anxious.

Have the psych services not given parents a list of symptoms and ideas for supporting him? I think they need to follow it up.

Also he should be getting help with school - he might need a mentor in there. A CAF could help and the Senco should be involved.

It's like depression - if you are depressed everything slips doesn't it... eating, sleeping, home life, family relationships and yes, schooling.

There is a genetic link, especially if one or both parents are prone to depression.

Otherwise it tends to be a combination of psychological and environmental factors - anything from children who are new to the country, children who have seen atrocities, children who are incredibly timid and let everything worry them.

He needs huge amounts of gentle, caring support not pushing to improve his school work - there's time for that later. He's only 7 - in some countries he wouldn't even have started school!!

hth xx

Thanks Sarah. He's literally only just been diagnosed (yesterday). They were worried he had autism, which is why they took him. It doesn't sound like the school are doing anything for him (yet) but I think they've got a meeting with the teacher/s next week to discuss. I think he's just v. timid and a worrier. I'm sure he'll be fine once he's given the right support etc.

Thanks again :magnificent: (as always)
xx