PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear when you are working??

lissy
11-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I am starting to feel like a right scruff bag, i seem to wear tracksuit bottoms most days with a hoody and my big warm coat and scrape my hair back into a ponytail. Getting ready at 6.30 in the morning in the dark doesnt inspire me to do anything much else.

But i have noticed that some of the other childminders that drop off at the same school as me always look perfect and smart and im wondering if i really should make more of an effort?

Chatterbox Childcare
11-11-2009, 06:38 PM
I am usually in jeans, t shirt and jacket/coat, boots and gloves

I think it is all about the image you wish to portray to potential mindees and families.

wendywu
11-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I wear everything, jeans, trousers, long skirts with boots, short skirts with thick black tights and long boots, even dresses in the summer. I always have make up and perfume on. But at my age i need all the help i can get :laughing:

little chickee
11-11-2009, 06:42 PM
i do try to make an effort to look half decent - usually jeans but smartish tops. i do have some t-shirts and hoodies embroidered with my logo that i got from amaranth embroidery that i wear - i've only 2 of each so cant wear them everyday.

even though i am working from home i do think its important to create a good image and look professional.

ORKSIE
11-11-2009, 06:44 PM
This, the dads love it:laughing: :laughing:

wendywu
11-11-2009, 06:46 PM
If you looked like that you could put your money up :laughing:

Twinkles
11-11-2009, 06:49 PM
I wear jeans and long sleeved t-shirts. I also wear ankle boots with high heels ( when I'm not wearing my walking boots :D ).
When we're out walking it will be a raincoat of some sort usually.

I always wear perfume ( almost never manage the make up though )and I usually put on a nice long cardi or smartish jacket with a scarf to do the school run.

ORKSIE
11-11-2009, 06:51 PM
If you looked like that you could put your money up :laughing:

:ROFL1: :ROFL1:

sarah707
11-11-2009, 06:53 PM
I wear jeans, a t shirt (usually with pulled neck depending on baby) and my comfy fleece...

Debbie you are right, it is about the image you want to portray... mine is comfortable and homey... and they can like it or lump it! :laughing:

nannymcflea
11-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Jeans/trousers and t or sweatshirt with a teddy and registered childminder logo.I cannot get down on the floor and paint/play in a skirt or a dress.

Pudding Girl
11-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Depends who I have.

If I have a certain baby he is very splothery and cuddly and snotty and makes a huge mess eating so I tend to wear leggings and boots and a long top, easily washed!

If I have the older ones I make a bit more of an effort (and if a fit dad is picking up haha!!)

Trick I find is to have a smart coat so when you are out and about you look nice and crisp and tidy (on the outside at least!!)

mumx3
11-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Jeans and t-shirt and walking shoes most of the time,

In summer I wear linen trousers as they are cool and comfy with birkenstocks and always end up with a stripey tan on my feet!

Comfortable but not sloppy.

I wont leave the house without mascara on and always wash my hair in the shower every morning or I end up with a greasy mess if I leave it more than 24 hours.

Straws
11-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Jeans and top, I sometimes think I should make more of an effort cant remember last time I had my hair done I just dont have time.

Straws xxx

Winnie
11-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Today i'm wearing jeans, a lovely caramel wool top with a sweet cream cardi, turquoise earrings and a turquoise and stone coloured bracelet- i kid you not :) I think its important to look 'presentable' (as me dear mum used to say). I do have to push my bracelet up my arm and roll my sleeves up to change nappies & wash my hands :thumbsup: but in all the years i've been minding I have never ruined any piece of clothing with paint, glue and any other unmentionables :laughing:

Alibali
11-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Jeans, t-shirt, cardy and flat shoes:)

suez
11-11-2009, 07:30 PM
i wear jeans and boots everyday and i got a few embroidered polo t shirts i wear them when im working i found my own clothes got marked so if i wear my work top i also feel alot more proffesional

julie w
11-11-2009, 07:32 PM
I have been feeling a bit 'mumsy' myself, but after talking to some mums, apparantly thats what they would prefer me to look like. Another childminder I know goes to the school in high heeled boots, trendy jacket, leggings and full make up. I think she looks good, but people make comments about her not looking like a childminder. I couldn't run after children in high heels, but I would like to look a bit more 'with it'. I have a raincoat that my kids call my Hayley coat (from Corrie). Hmm maybe a new coat off santa I think. I'm waffling now. I think as long as we look the part that's fine.

Willowdancer
11-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Jeans, tshirt, cardi and trainers pretty much every day. I go through phases of trying to look smart or more girly but I can never keep up the image and slip back into my old ways. I don't do make-up, only on special occasions (v.rare) and I only brush my hair as its in a short graduated bob so not much you can do with it anyway. :rolleyes:

PS...when DH gets registered I'm getting us both polo shirts with my/our logo on.

PixiePetal
11-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I have been feeling a bit 'mumsy' myself, but after talking to some mums, apparantly thats what they would prefer me to look like. Another childminder I know goes to the school in high heeled boots, trendy jacket, leggings and full make up. I think she looks good, but people make comments about her not looking like a childminder. I couldn't run after children in high heels, but I would like to look a bit more 'with it'. I have a raincoat that my kids call my Hayley coat (from Corrie). Hmm maybe a new coat off santa I think. I'm waffling now. I think as long as we look the part that's fine.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Hayley coat :D

little miss chatterbox
11-11-2009, 08:00 PM
I usually wear jeans and a nice top, leggings and a tunic top, skirt and leggings or thick tights.

although I think I might need to get a few tops that aren't quite so low cut - although I'm not falling out of them I'm not sure they portray the right image!

jelly15
11-11-2009, 08:24 PM
I wear jeans, a t shirt (usually with pulled neck depending on baby) and my comfy fleece...

Debbie you are right, it is about the image you want to portray... mine is comfortable and homey... and they can like it or lump it! :laughing:

Absolutly right, me too.

daisyboo1980
11-11-2009, 08:35 PM
i normally wear my jeans , timberlands or trainers with a cardi or a thin jumper i try to look smart but comfy
i slap on some tinted moisterizer and mascra

terrydoo73
11-11-2009, 08:52 PM
I bought some navy fleeces with my logo and name of business and wear these with jeans and boots most days. I think it is correct to look professional - I always see local private nurseries with their logo so why shouldn't we promote our business! I am desperately looking for someone to do me a similar thing for the back window of my car at present - so if anyone out there could recommend something let me know!

zillervalley
11-11-2009, 09:05 PM
I think that you must try and look smart, and professioal, at the same time comfortable and with clothes that wash easily and most of all take very little ironing

ziller

georgie456
11-11-2009, 09:08 PM
I wear my polo shirts that I got from Primark especially for workwear (mainly because I was so fed up with my own clothes getting destroyed. I'm in the process of getting my logo put on them all at the moment.

Hebs
11-11-2009, 09:10 PM
I am desperately looking for someone to do me a similar thing for the back window of my car at present - so if anyone out there could recommend something let me know!

EBAY!!!!!!!

got mine from there, something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-VAN-WINDOW-ADVERTISING-STICKER-BUSINESS-SERVICE_W0QQitemZ230387706951QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item35a42d6c4 7

rachelle
11-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Jeans, top and long jumper - teamed with purple DMs when out but they are my only shoes - I'm working on it! They are comfy and I don't drive but they're on my list of things to smarten up on!

I have a smart coat, buggy and changing bag / handbag!

My problem is shoes - we don't wear shoes in the house - babies crawling etc etc but I feel sloppy answering the door to parents in just my socks!

TheBTeam
11-11-2009, 09:34 PM
I usually wear black or blue jeans or trousers (in summer anything 3/4 length in any colour), with long tshirt/jersey tops (usually from Sainsburys cos i pick them up when i run out for top up shopping!) and in Summer sandals and winter boots with everything!

Dont feel comfortable in skirts, get too hot in jumpers and don't really like long sleeves, so usually have short or 3/4 length sleeves!

I like to be tidy but practical, usually get a chance to whizz hair with a dryer and stick a bit of gunk on it these days, but make up isn't something i can be bothered with, only have one small mirror in the house!!!:eek: :laughing:

Got a new full length Drizabone wax coat for the bad weather so may not get wet, but heaven only know what i will look like in it!!!

ajs
11-11-2009, 09:39 PM
I wear jeans and long sleeved t-shirts. I also wear ankle boots with high heels ( when I'm not wearing my walking boots :D ).
When we're out walking it will be a raincoat of some sort usually.

I always wear perfume ( almost never manage the make up though )and I usually put on a nice long cardi or smartish jacket with a scarf to do the school run.

me too

mainly jeans and shirts or t shirts
i never leave the house without a spray of perfume

amanda1309
11-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Jeans, T-shirts and trainers or Clarks active air flat shoes. I look the same every day even when i'm not working. Never wear make up, but hair is always blow dried and straightened.
I like to feel comfy and warm.
If i wore something different my dd would ask where i was going to need posh clothes on.

lindylou
11-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Hi like some of the other mindres say it depends what image you want to portray, i always like to look professional and smart
So tend to dress nice but also still like to be able to paint and glue and get messy with the children so protect good clothes
Linx

The Juggler
11-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I want to be professional but look like I actually get down and dirty with the kids. You'll never catch me in heels, I am jeans or combats, trainers boots or flip-flops and hair washed and scraped back. Make-up - what's that!!! Oh, alright it comes out now and again for a night out..

When I have a day off and wear a smart coat, everyone asks where I'm going and don't I look smart. i dont think I look scruffy just ready to get mucky if need be.

I have the best loud waterproof kagool from Milletts - all the kids can spot me a mile off - wish I'd bought the matching wellies. You can do more up to date without being mumsy - jeans and trendy sneakers are the biz!

sophiestars
11-11-2009, 10:18 PM
I try to look nice I think it makes me feel better and more presentable. I go out with the little ones somewhere every morning (toddler groups etc) so I don't want to look scruffy.
I usually wear jeans as they have pockets and I always keep my mobile in my pocket so I can get it straight away if I get a call or message. I can't go out of the house without make up and try to remember to put perfume on but often forget!
I also like to do my hair nicely in the mornings and wash it every day. It is long and curly and I can't wear it down if i haven't washed it! Very occasionally i will skip the hairwash and put it in a ponytail but I prefer it down and don't find that a problem even with the bubbas.
When I am doing messy activities I wear an apron so I don't get it on my clothes.
I think in our job comfort is the key and so I always wear flats, infact i probably wouldn't be able to walk in heels now anyway!!
I also don't agree with wearing false nails while working with children, that's just my personal view. As a parent i would be thinking 'how can she change nappies/ do car seat straps/ or do any activity without worrying about her nails?!'

ORKSIE
11-11-2009, 10:31 PM
I actually wear , Jeans , T shirt and fleece if it cold. Anything that dont matter if it gets paint , glue, sick...etc:jump for joy:

Heaven Scent
11-11-2009, 10:46 PM
I tend to wear smart trousers in a dark colour and sometimes Iwear a smart jacket - I never ever wear jeans or at least I haven't since I put on weight. I also wear high heeled shoes because I'm short and dumpy. I do wear skirts too - I do try to be smart casual. I always have my perfume but don't do much make-up - now and again I pop some on if I have time before mindees arrive.

ORKSIE
11-11-2009, 10:49 PM
I do wear perfume...No make up apart from Lippy.
My mindees say "Sharon you cant go out without your Lippy":laughing: :laughing: So true:thumbsup:

wendywu
11-11-2009, 11:56 PM

What on earth is a childminder supposed to look like then, that makes it sound like we should be frumpy.:mad:
Years ago i went to look at a cattery for my cats. The woman was ok in her manner but what put me off was she had a front tooth missing and some stains on her clothes. I thought if you are slapdash and cannot take care of yourself how can you look after my cats. So i think impressions are important.:)

miss mopple
12-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Its never occured to me to worry about how I look. Im a scruff in jeans and t shirts most days and as I start at 7am and DH is usually still in bed I dont put make up on much.

The important thing IMO when I am out is how people see me interact with the kids not how I look.I dont believe they think about that much. I dress in a way thats practical for the job and doesnt hinder me getting involved in messy stuff/ puddle jumping etc.

angiemog
12-11-2009, 07:42 AM
I wear jeans or trousers, with a top. After getting a few clothes stained with baby food, paint........ I keep a few tops for work. I also wear trainers. I like to be comfortable. And actually how I dress is me. I don't care what people think when I'm out and about. I am full, never had a parent visit that said no so I must be doing something right. I think as long as you're clean smell nice does it really matter what you wear? I understand the comments about looking professional..... but I think it just comes down to being clean. After reading comments about polo shirts I want some of them, not to advertise (at the mo anyway) but it does separate work clothes from my going out with hubby wardrobe even if i is to do the food shop!

HELEN10
12-11-2009, 11:07 AM
I have just decided to have some work clothes because i am sick of week clothes spilling over to weekend clothes, if you see what i mean, so I have recently bought couple pair of cheap black trousers that look the same all the time, bending, kneeling etc and wear cardi and t shirt altho looking for something else to go on top that is more easy to wear and i wear this every day (not the same ones!) Always have mascara etc on. Always flatish footwear, walking to do and wellies and waterproofs when raining.

I know couple of cm's that dress up like i would to go for a night out but i have seen them on a night out and they don't look any different!! I don't want my weekend clothes to look like my work clothes never mind my night out clothes!!

mandy moo
12-11-2009, 01:07 PM
me too

mainly jeans and shirts or t shirts
i never leave the house without a spray of perfume

Mustb e a mandy/amanda thing (re amanda1309)
eyeliner and perfume
trainers
and my big fleece, Im comfortable.

flora
12-11-2009, 01:12 PM
I look comfy and practical.

If I can find one I brush my hair, generally for the school run I bung a baseball cap on.

I have fleeces and t shirts with my logo on, they wash brilliantly and so no ironing.

Doing the bus stop run, I don't see anyone. We are the only kids at the stop.

I do make more of an effort if I collect from school and going to the play place.

As long as I look clean and tidy and presentable, that will do me :thumbsup:

Don't wear make up or perfume, except very high days and holidays :blush:

TheBTeam
12-11-2009, 01:18 PM
This has got me thinking! I would like to separate what i wear during the week, but don't like the fit of normal tshirts or polo shirts, so have been wearing what i wear to stand by a football pitch or go to town etc during the week, i very rarely go on posh nights out so have the odd bits for that, but the rest of the time there is no difference, and I am not sure how to fix this.

I wear longer jersey type tops in all sorts of colours with jeans all day everyday in this kind of weather, and the only thing that changes in the summer are the trousers go 3/4 length and the tops have shorter arms!

I need to find a range of stuff that I can buy for the week that isn't a tshirt or polo shirt, so i can buy enough to wear for the week and might advertise on it, or do i just leave myself as i am?:idea: :panic: :blush:

The Juggler
12-11-2009, 04:14 PM
This has got me thinking! I would like to separate what i wear during the week, but don't like the fit of normal tshirts or polo shirts, so have been wearing what i wear to stand by a football pitch or go to town etc during the week, i very rarely go on posh nights out so have the odd bits for that, but the rest of the time there is no difference, and I am not sure how to fix this.

I wear longer jersey type tops in all sorts of colours with jeans all day everyday in this kind of weather, and the only thing that changes in the summer are the trousers go 3/4 length and the tops have shorter arms!

I need to find a range of stuff that I can buy for the week that isn't a tshirt or polo shirt, so i can buy enough to wear for the week and might advertise on it, or do i just leave myself as i am?:idea: :panic: :blush:

mmm careful bteam! someone might think you are in need of a makeover if you think out loud like that. Before you know it, you'll have trinny and susanna at your door:eek: :eek:

RedDragon
12-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Years ago i went to look at a cattery for my cats. The woman was ok in her manner but what put me off was she had a front tooth missing and some stains on her clothes.

No central eating! :D

I wear jeans, tshirt.............................

and these boots

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/dylanbaabaachi/th_ROCKBOOTS.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v43/dylanbaabaachi/?action=view&current=ROCKBOOTS.jpg)

buildingblocks
12-11-2009, 05:20 PM
no doubt many people have said this but the best thing I did was to buy my polo shirts with my logo on from Carol on here (I can never spell her name right Amaranth/ Aramanth - one of these) with my fleece with my logo. Hubby also wears his when He goes to groups etc or on school run for me.

I am planning when I have some spare cash to have some sweat shirts and a waterproof jacket from here as well. Service and quality are both excellent

little daisies
12-11-2009, 05:27 PM
i wear jeans and ive had some t-shirts printed with my setting name on it to advertise myself. i wouldn`t wear anything too decent because i only get covered in snot, food and boggies etc and after crawling around the floor all day i want something comfy:)

Playmate
12-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Just ordered today :clapping: lovely embroidered polo shirts and hoodies for hubby and I. We have been thinking about it for ages as we used to have some but they were all black and navy, not fitted and I felt like a dreary sack of potatoes :laughing: My new polo shirts are bright green, pink and puple and my hoodie is also bright green (guess what colour I like :blush: ). I tend to wear jeans or track bottoms depending what we are doing. Try to put face on in the morning, but I don't always get there! :D

TheBTeam
12-11-2009, 06:31 PM
mmm careful bteam! someone might think you are in need of a makeover if you think out loud like that. Before you know it, you'll have trinny and susanna at your door:eek: :eek:

MM or worse Gok Wan!!!!! Can just imagine the state i would end up in after a makeover! They may even suggest i get a mirror!!!

Curly Quavers
12-11-2009, 07:11 PM
I am always always in jeans with a plain top in the house plus my Amaranth Embroidery hoodies when out with either my trainers or CAT boots.

I want to look practical, comfortable and like I am ready for fun with the kids

I have washed straightened hair everyday and make up on (not dolled up) but enough to let people see I have made a bit of an effort. (need to cover the spots) this makes me feel better too.

The Juggler
13-11-2009, 07:47 AM
MM or worse Gok Wan!!!!! Can just imagine the state i would end up in after a makeover! They may even suggest i get a mirror!!!

oh, God forbid - I don't use my mirror at 7am!!! Actually I'd quite like the new clothes etc but wouldn't want to get naked on TV:eek:

Tinglesnark
13-11-2009, 09:31 AM
hmm well i havent actually started working yet but i wont be changing the way i dress when i do. ill bet those parents like us to look like frumps...they wouldnt want the husband picking up the kids to find someone that actually looks good now would they? hahah
i wear jeans and vest tops or fitted t-shirts with my bright pink converse or bronze birkenstocks and i have a rather funky bench jacket that i wear depending on the weather...i have to wear my make-up...i love the stuff and always have time to put it on haha! i may think about getting a logo'd set of tops but im afraid to say that i wont be wearing a housecoat and mop cap just yet :laughing: :D:laughing:
good luck to all of you after a makeover! best place to start is a new set of makeup and a good hair cut!