PDA

View Full Version : Every Child a Talker (ECAT)

Pipsqueak
10-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Is there anyone else out there who is involved with this - especially in Lead Practitioner status.

Would like to chat with you if poss please

Blaze
10-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Here if needed - though there is likely someone better than me on the forum.

Carpet Monkeys
11-11-2009, 08:40 AM
I wish my son was - he just won't talk to his teacher at school, although at home he's a chatterbox!

lesley
11-11-2009, 01:19 PM
I am starting training for it in the New Year. What did you want to know?

Lesley

Helen Dempster
11-11-2009, 07:34 PM
I've never heard of this :blush: Is it a similar thing to Chatter Matters?

I have a 3 yo mindee who doesn't speak at all when a third party is there, but when it's just him, myself and my lo, he doesn't stop! People don't believe me when I tell them that!! :)

haribo
12-11-2009, 03:01 PM
I wish my son was - he just won't talk to his teacher at school, although at home he's a chatterbox!

when my daughter was coming to the end of reception her teacher said to me does jenny talk at home i smiled and said yes never stops she is a right chatterbox isnt she ! teacher well no she never opens her mouth to me :angry: i found it hard to believe but even worse that teacher had never brought it up previously.she literally never shuts up even now and shes 18 :laughing:

Bananabrain
12-11-2009, 04:55 PM
I tried to get hold of the accompanying literature because I have a mindee 2 and a half who has virtually no proper speech.
Was told in no uncertain terms that I couldn't have it because it is only a pilot and not in my area.
What I took that to mean is that because I am just a childminder,and can't provide the government with any data to tick their boxes; they're not interested in me.
I was under the impression that my job was to ensure I do everything I can to promote my mindees development.
Apparently not!
Get very cross with this job sometimes. Can you tell?:laughing:

David Sheppard
12-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Have you tried this DCSF link?

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/153355

You can download a PDF file covering the Every Child a Talker: Guidance for Early Language Lead Practitioners.

Regards

David

Pipsqueak
12-11-2009, 06:30 PM
I tried to get hold of the accompanying literature because I have a mindee 2 and a half who has virtually no proper speech.
Was told in no uncertain terms that I couldn't have it because it is only a pilot and not in my area.
What I took that to mean is that because I am just a childminder,and can't provide the government with any data to tick their boxes; they're not interested in me.
I was under the impression that my job was to ensure I do everything I can to promote my mindees development.
Apparently not!
Get very cross with this job sometimes. Can you tell?:laughing:

you can get hold of the literature most certainly - David gives the relevant link. There is not a lot in the literature that will give you initial direct and immediate help in regards to speech and language - you need to have an underlying understanding of S&L development. For lots of info check the ICan website, Chatter Matters links etc. ECAT lit will get you thinking about how you support SLC but ideally you need the relevant support to help get it off the ground. A great place to start for advice and info is your local speech and language department - you can ring them anytime.

ECAT IS a pilot scheme at the moment and childminders are very much involved - I am just experiencing a few problems with the implementation and other professionals:(

fricks
16-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Are there any childminders acting in the lead practioners role.....any tips about rolling out ECaT to cms would be very, very welcome......how did you start?

Pipsqueak
16-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi Fricks, yes I am an ELP (I think that abbreviated title is hilarious).

We completed the audits about our setting and our own knowledge, we then sat down together and evaluated our findings, seeing if there were any gaps or changes that we noticed, we even talked about what was good practice.
Between us as a group we decided on what we wanted - ie sign language training, letters and sounds, access to speech therapist, story phones etc.

We then compiled this info and fed it back to the lady in charge - who then starts actioning our requests.

thats really as far as we have got, we have got the story phones and a digital camera to share between settings.

we will meet again February and evaluate progress etc

in the mean time me and another ELP are preparing a presentation to give to other childminders in our respective areas.

The Juggler
16-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Hi Fricks, yes I am an ELP (I think that abbreviated title is hilarious).

We completed the audits about our setting and our own knowledge, we then sat down together and evaluated our findings, seeing if there were any gaps or changes that we noticed, we even talked about what was good practice.
Between us as a group we decided on what we wanted - ie sign language training, letters and sounds, access to speech therapist, story phones etc.

We then compiled this info and fed it back to the lady in charge - who then starts actioning our requests.

thats really as far as we have got, we have got the story phones and a digital camera to share between settings.

we will meet again February and evaluate progress etc

in the mean time me and another ELP are preparing a presentation to give to other childminders in our respective areas.

I'd love to see that Pip when it's done. We have no such programmes in our area to be involved in even if we wanted! Would love to show them what they could be getting us involved in. I'm on the committee of the local children's centre as a childminder and parent and will be serioulsy kicking off about the lack of action for childminders at the next meeting! our DO is running the programme but is truly pants.

As well as every child a talker have you seen the DCSF Inclusion Development Programme booklet?

Monkey1
16-01-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm on training next month

Gherkin
16-01-2010, 04:48 PM
5 of us accredited childminders volunteered for this just before christmas in our area. Have not been able to get hold of the ECAT file at the moment but the Early Years team are trying to get them for us and we are all putting up with photocopied bits of the file for now.

We are still getting our heads round it so am really interested in what other childminders involved in it think and how you are all getting on with it.

elaineg
16-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Ive been asked if I want to take part but waiting for my network coordinator to get back to me with the info.

Elaine X

Pipsqueak
16-01-2010, 05:57 PM
you can get the ECaT stuff on the DSCF website:thumbsup:

fricks
16-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Oh WOW....first time I've used this forum and really impressed with response...it's great to find like minded folk out there.....willing to support, that's so good 'cause it's contagious....many thanks for your replies.....I'll keep reading...thankyou everyone!

fricks
19-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Just put me straight please....if the audit is for individual settings to find their strengths and weaknesses...are individual cms doing their own audit?....are they all lead practitioners....where did you all get your audits forms from? I'm confused as you may well guess!What is the role of the lead practitioner in this?