PDA

View Full Version : Sick Child advice please

twiggy
10-11-2009, 01:52 PM
The child I mind was not himself yesterday and I informed his mum. This morning when he was dropped off I asked if he was o.k and was told he was fine. He has spent all morning with me in tears and has a temperature and I think he has a sore throat. I text mum at 11am this morning and she sent me a text to say she would phone me. I'm still waiting. I have text her to say I will give him Calpol to try to lower his temperature and he is now asleep. Am I being unreasonable to expect mum to show some concern and take him home? I have had to cancel going out to toddler group this afternoon and he will have to walk to school later.

Minstrel
10-11-2009, 08:03 PM
I would have taken the next step to call the emergency contacts. No returning calls is not on.

Although i'm not sure i would have given medication without explicit consent. Maybe used other methods of lowering his temp whilst waiting for collection.

sarah707
10-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Minstrel is right you are not allowed to give medication without parents written consent... but like you say, the baby fell asleep anyway so that wasn't an issue in the end.

I would have rung the emergency contacts as well if I felt the child needed to go home.

I have got really strict over the years - I do not take care of sick children or I end up sick.

Hth :D

twiggy
10-11-2009, 08:42 PM
The parent eventually turned up at 3pm and was taking the child to the doctors. She did not even apologise to me that I had cancelled my plans or that I had to arrange for a friend to collect my child from school to avoid taking hers out. With regards the calpol I had got written permission and I text her first for permission to give a dose and got an o.k back.