PDA

View Full Version : What toys to keep??

lissy
10-11-2009, 12:07 PM
I am trying to have a clear out at the moment and as i have a seperate playroom for childminding i thought i would get rid of stuff my kids wouldnt play with anymore and just keep the basics for the mindees. That would give them lots more room to play. But question is what to keep???

What toys do you have for your mindees that arent your own childrens??

Also where do you keep art/craft stuff, paper etc as i seem to have it all over the place at the moment. Need to get organised

AnnieM
10-11-2009, 12:21 PM
As my son is 20 now I no longer have any toys that aren't just for the mindees. I think anything as long as it is safe and in good condition is suitable for minding as not all children have the same tastes. As for art and craft materials I have paper and crayons out everyday and playdough is within easy reach for little ones if they want it, (at least it would be if I had any little ones :rolleyes: ) collage materials, paint and glue etc. are on a shelf that only myself or older mindees can reach.

youarewhatyoueat
10-11-2009, 12:27 PM
I've kept everything!!! my youngest is 4 but the mindees are all under 2 so i've got loads of things i've collected over the years and i'm not very good at parting with anything hence I bought a huge shed.

Tink
10-11-2009, 12:59 PM
My little girl is 16 months i've wrote a list for Christmas presents and am going to try to buy things to keep just for her but it is very hard as i always consider the other children.
I have a craft cupboard with paper, pens, paint etc which the children can access i have quite a large kitchen so we spend most of our time in there.

I would suggest you don't throw anything out as you never know when it might come in handy.

I could do with buying next door haha

cabby
10-11-2009, 01:06 PM
my own children are 17 and 15 now, so all toys i have are just for mindees!!

i have a shed at the bottom of the garden that i keep all toys, art and craft stuff in, it all stays in there, then each morning i bring a few different boxes in, i also have a photo album with pics of all the toys in it so the lo's can look through it and ask for anything else they want in,

i dont think ive got rid of anything since i started this job, anything that isnt age related to the lo's i have gets put in the loft until i need it again:laughing: :laughing:

Maguiresmonkeys
10-11-2009, 01:23 PM
I have got my DH to build me some more storage in playroom to put toys in and we have a shed full of toys! I like being able to rotate toys so they dont get bored. I have also made resource folder with photos for them to choose from.

I hate throwing things out, Im a bit of a horder (sp) :blush:

singingcactus
10-11-2009, 01:35 PM
I keep loads of toys too. I like to change mine out, not cos the mindees get bored, but because some of my toys I have had for the whole 15 years I have been minding and the 2 years before that I was nannying and I would get bored if I didn't have enough to change out regularly.
Can you imagine looking at the same shape sorter, and rattles for 17 years, day in day out.... :crying: :crying:

singingcactus
10-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Should have said
shape sorters, rattles, some dolls, some cars and vehicles, plenty of blocks, stacking cups, electronic toys, books, dressing up, role play, games, jigsaws, small world, action figures/playsets, musical toys, as well as a bunch of random toys I guess would be the bare basics you would need to keep kids interested. At least 2-3 of each type of toy.
I'd recommend looking to see if you could find a storage system that works with the space you have though and keep as many resources as you can. Cos whatever you do away with WILL be the first thing you regret not having lol.

The Juggler
10-11-2009, 01:56 PM
so much I couldn't begin to tell you!! I use those floor standing drawer units for my arts and crafts (and more in a big cupboard). But for paper, scissors, glue that the children can access easily that stuff is where they can reach.

TheBTeam
10-11-2009, 02:29 PM
If you have space I would keep as much as you can, I had a clear out of what I thought I wouldn't use when my kids grew out of it, and i really regret it, i got rid of so much i should have kept! Think hard!

deb24
10-11-2009, 02:55 PM
I always sell toys I don't use anymore like baby toys as they are getting bigger. With the money I get from that buy new stuff. You can get some good deals on ebay or car boot.

PixiePetal
10-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Should have said
shape sorters, rattles, some dolls, some cars and vehicles, plenty of blocks, stacking cups, electronic toys, books, dressing up, role play, games, jigsaws, small world, action figures/playsets, musical toys, as well as a bunch of random toys I guess would be the bare basics you would need to keep kids interested. At least 2-3 of each type of toy.
I'd recommend looking to see if you could find a storage system that works with the space you have though and keep as many resources as you can. Cos whatever you do away with WILL be the first thing you regret not having lol.

I agree, - have got rid of things I have bored with and regretted it! I was a nanny for 12 years and have been minding 15 years too. I get bored of the same stuff and like to swap it about and buy new/second hand bits. Just got a Tikes playhouse from a friend and looking forward to giving that a clean so we all have something different to look at and play with :thumbsup:

donnagwynne
10-11-2009, 05:03 PM
I have recently been auditing my resources, and working on continuous provision.

I found these lists to be quite helpful when deciding what I should have indoors and for outdoor learning,

http://www.birthtofive.org.uk/pdf/Suggested%20Provision%20for%20Indoor%20Environment .pdf

http://www.birthtofive.org.uk/pdf/Birth%20to%20Five%20Service%20-%20Outdoor%20Provision%20Suggestions.PDF

Unfortunately, although I was also hoping to be able to get rid of some stuff I ended up just getting more.

But it is not always about what you have, it's what you do with it that counts.

Madminder
10-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I agree with what everyone else is saying really, every time I get rid of something I end up wishing I hadn't so now stuff that is not appropriate for the ages I have goes into the cellar for when I will next need it.

I have loads of the Ikea Trofast storage units in my playroom and find they work very well. I can swap the boxes from top to bottom so they don't get tired of the same toys and always keep things for the older children at the top where the little ones can't reach.

janminder
11-11-2009, 01:08 AM
My children grown up so all mindees toys. I use the large plastic boxes with lids for brio, duplo, play food, craft stuff, small world, puzzles etc and open ones for books. Paper, pencils, crayons and Puzzle books out all the time. Have some of the boxes out in corner of sitting room and some in large cupboard under the stairs and rotate. Older children will ask for what they want if its not out. Also in cupboard under stairs are play tents, tunnels, prams, easel, high chairs its like a tardis don't know what I would do without it.

babs
11-11-2009, 08:58 AM
my son is 17 and although i got rid of all his big stuff ie coupe car and bikes to local hospital ( really wish i hadnt now) i went into the loft at weekend and found a load of boys toys i forgot were up there. ie toy garage, peg jigsaws, lego, board games, and power rangers ( he was mad on power rangers ) tons of cars.. so ive saved myself alot of money all in good cond. i only have 2 little girls at moment so alot of stuff is girls and was lookin at gettin some boys stuff ,i did pick up a garage from charity shop few weeks ago.think i need a spare shed now...

Louise_Oaktree
11-11-2009, 05:23 PM
I've kept everything!!! my youngest is 4 but the mindees are all under 2 so i've got loads of things i've collected over the years and i'm not very good at parting with anything hence I bought a huge shed.

I really want and need a shed :idea: what a good idea :D but can you actually be bothered in this weather to go out every morning and pull stuff out?

I was wondering about whether to set up a role play area in a shed, I have a "train table" which is currently unused so I could set some small world up on there and change it every week or so, then I would like a play kitchen in there. I had thought it might help with outdoor play...and the shed would be more of a play house I guess than a shed :o