PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not do written planning?

claireodon
09-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi, just wondering whether everyone does written planning or if there is anyone who doesn't? I tried to do written plans right at the start but we never stuck to anything and it took ages to do the paperwork. I plan through continuous provision, I have a folder of activity ideas and religious festival dates and I do have plans for the week (to ensure I have sufficient resources) - I just don't write it down. I do a learning journal with next steps and to me it is more logical just to follow that and you will see in the ongoing obs that I am implementing the next steps. However, I am new to all this and don't know what Ofsted will make of my logic ;) Just interested to hear what feedback other people have had from Ofsted re planning.

sweets
09-11-2009, 09:17 PM
i dont really do written planning. according to my ofsted inspector and my DW it is not necc.

the only written plans i do are next steps (short term planning) and ive also got a list of birthdays and festivals(long term planning). every 8 weeks or so i do a summary of learning for each child in their learning journeys to see where they are in the EYFS and the 6 areas and do next steps for that 2 (medium term planning).

Chatterbox Childcare
09-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Different views on this. My ofsted inspector wanted to see some written planning where as my next door neighbour has a weekly plan which she laminated and then rubbed it out at the end of the month.

I do a rough plan but do not link it or go into detail until the obs is done as there are different outcomes for different ages.

Zoomie
09-11-2009, 10:20 PM
When my DW came and saw me a few months back, she asked if I did planning and I said no .... and then she asked me why I had certain toys out. Well they were out because J likes dolls and I likes animals and my DW showed me that I was actually doing planning - just not in a written form.

Every week I say I am going to try and do some kind of written planning, but I've missed it again this week. :blush:

My main mindees are under 3, so their learning is all play based, following thier own leads.

Mollymop
10-11-2009, 07:24 AM
The only planning I do is individual planning termly for each child. I look at all next steps and what the child is interested in and should be doing/learning and I plan the term for each child individually. My inspector seemed happy with this and didn't ask me to do anything else regarding planning.

I tried to plan for each week for all the children as well as individual planning but I dropped it, because we never stuck to what I had planned, so it was a waste of my time each week.

tammerisk
10-11-2009, 07:36 AM
i plan!!!!
but i keep it all in my head
long term plan of birthdays festivals and so on
mid term all the groups i go to and the things they do
short term plan is providing activies that stimulate the chidlren and what they like
individual plan is getting to know my children to be able to put out what they like and do the activities they like

sarah707
10-11-2009, 07:48 AM
i have a long term plan which is in files with lots of information attached to it month by month.

It follows the seasons, weather, festivals, local and national events, birthdays etc.

I have a short term plan for each child and then a weekly plan for the group.

I have 7 or more children after school some days and without a plan it would be chaos! :laughing:

rachelle
10-11-2009, 10:18 AM
I do written plans - they take 10 mins during x factor! :blush:

It's one sheet of A4 with notes (what x liked last week) aims - anything we're working on together - eg holding own cup etc then a section for each day and some activity ideas - most are ways of varying free play or groups we go to and then a links bit for eyfs and a space at the bottom for any obs etc or noteworthy things. It helps me think the week through and fill the time on days when mindees and I are a bit lost :)

Tink
10-11-2009, 10:51 AM
My mindees are under 3 so i observe and follow their next steps and have a topic web for small ideas they are into and use it for activity ideas.
I think thats right anyway:)

Carol M
14-11-2009, 07:29 PM
I work alongside two other minders, we get together in the evening to write plans for the next term. We choose a main topic and find activities that suit all ages we currently mind. We get together one morning a week and have a planned session where observations and evaluations are done then its up to each of us how we extend the topic at home. Been doing this since before EYFS started and have found it to be useful, fun and motivating.
After our planning sessions we drink copious amounts of wine and have a take-away! Even more fun!
Carol:laughing:

watgem
14-11-2009, 08:33 PM
I like that idea! I do mine as continuous provision and activities in response to childrens intersts, also any events that might be coming up. My EYSO wasn't happy because I don't have detailed longterm planning based around development matters, I tried her system but couldn't get it to work for my setting-Ofsted are in the area so I will have to see what they think I suppose.