PDA

View Full Version : naughty step

terrydoo73
09-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Do you have one in your setting?

Mum of my mindees came today and asked her little girl "Does J not have a naughty step for you?"

Personally I don't have one - I always use my couch as a time out to calm this particular child down - no amount of telling her off, explaining etc works as she is a rather attention seeking child and tempts her brother no end leaving him crying or in a tantrum.

Would love to have your opinions ...

miffy
09-11-2009, 06:06 PM
No, I don't have a naughty step.

If I needed to do "time out" then it would be sitting on a small chair in the kitchen with nothing to do. Thankfully, don't have to do that very often

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
09-11-2009, 06:07 PM
A lot of parents use the naughty step and I only use it when I am asked to.

I let tantrums take place where ever they child may be, often walking away to a different room

All children respond differently and so we have different methods.

If you use the couch as a time out place do the mindees settle there for tv/story time or are they still itching to get up again?

Curly Quavers
09-11-2009, 06:08 PM
I have only ever had to use my bottom step for a biter and that has long passed and LO not been on it in Months. I do think the punishment (I know we don't like that word) should match the crime, So children only find themself on my step when they have been physically violent to somebody else.

I hope that makes some sense.

Pudding Girl
09-11-2009, 06:22 PM
No i don't have a naughty step, was told CC don't like it at my pre reg insp.

I just time out any offenders next to me where ever I am, they have to sit next to me for x minutes.

Curly Quavers
09-11-2009, 06:26 PM

I just time out any offenders next to me where ever I am, they have to sit next to me for x minutes.

I think I did hear that as well, but this is one thing I feel strongly about. (only when it comes to violence though)

madasahatter
09-11-2009, 06:30 PM
No I don't have a naughty step either. Our stairs go up the middle of the house and they are 'protected' by a door. I would either have to leave the door open and risk younger children going upstairs or close the door and not be able to see the child......either way a definate no go for me. I use a chair/sofa which ever is the handiest at the time.
Had to use time out for the first time in months today, when an argument between my 3 yr old mindees resulted in a bite (very unusual, but duly recorded and reported to parents)

Playmate
09-11-2009, 06:32 PM
We use our bottom stair for time out, but it is not referred to as the naughty step. Most of our children would see sitting next to us for time out as a reward :laughing:

Curly Quavers
09-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Most of our children would see sitting next to us for time out as a reward :laughing:

That would be the same here and confuse everybody!

Alibali
09-11-2009, 06:45 PM

This is what I do, but we have 'thinking time' and it's not on my knee, usually on the floor.

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
09-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Before i was childminding i used the bottom step for time out for my eldest daughter.

The parents of one of the children i mind uses the time out spot. So i now do the same for him and both of mine. This works for the minded child because he has the consistency of home and at mine and it works for my two to!

I like the time out spot as you can have it anywhere, wether its the shops, park, etc.

daisyboo1980
09-11-2009, 07:09 PM
i have a red circle of carpet from ikea that i use for time out / thinking time

The Juggler
09-11-2009, 07:10 PM
no we have thinking time in flexible places. however, if a parent wanted me to use it for continuity I think I would have to persuade them to change their step to a thinking step/calm down area.

Merry-Minder
09-11-2009, 07:16 PM
I havent had to use one as my mindees are too young, but I used to and still do for my children, and its always worked really well, however, we dont call it a naughty step.

Noodles
09-11-2009, 07:25 PM
I have a time out step on the bottom stair but thankfully it doesnt get used very often

AnnieM
09-11-2009, 07:43 PM
I have a time out spot, same as someone else, it is a round red mat from ikea.

wendywu
09-11-2009, 07:51 PM
I thought that Ofsted dont like a specific place to be a naughty place. You can give them time out away from the others but not in the same place all the time. It humiliates them. :panic:

helenlc
09-11-2009, 08:19 PM
We use our bottom stair for time out, but it is not referred to as the naughty step. Most of our children would see sitting next to us for time out as a reward :laughing:

Same here!!

candy cat
09-11-2009, 08:33 PM
I was led to believe we were not to use the word 'naughty'......i will use a 'time out' place when my daughter understands.

beckyteddy
09-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I put my own son on our bottom step quite reguarly, his speciality is doing lots of purposefully "naughty" things over a 10 or 15 min period, no one thing is bad enough for a full on teling off, it's more a culmination of lots of little things that needs to be halted because he knows he is being awkard and unkind.

I have never called it the naughty step and I don't use the word naughty when refering to the offending behaviour, I just refer to it as the step and ask him to stop being a bully or to stop being rough etc. otherwise I will have to sit him on the step so that he can't do whatever it is he is doing anymore, if he doesn't stop of his own accord. However all my kids/mindees call it "the naughty step", where do they get it from?

ORKSIE
09-11-2009, 10:41 PM
My bottom step is in the lounge. Mindees are asked to sit on it to think about what they have done.

I have to say..I cannot remember the last time I put a Mindee on The Step, although my Mindees put Mr O on it a few weeks ago for saying a naughty word, and he sat there until they said he could get off! :laughing: :laughing:

Mollymop
10-11-2009, 06:24 AM
No I don't have a naughty step - I use "time out" if the children become disruptive and don't listen to me and really play up. I ask them to sit (no where inparticular) and think about what they have done and then come and find me when they have.

little daisies
10-11-2009, 09:09 AM
i use the bottom step of my stair only for really bad stuff though, my partners even threatened to put some of the parents on it:blush: should of seen thier face:laughing:

Madminder
10-11-2009, 10:58 AM
I was led to believe we were not to use the word 'naughty'......i will use a 'time out' place when my daughter understands.

My understanding is that you can, and should, use the word naughty but it is the behaviour that is naughty, not the child.

I use time out and it is flexible according to where we are at the time, ie bench in the park, corner of the room, anywhere that they will be by themself and away from anything interesting.

I do like the idea of the naughty spot though, think I might get the older kids to design one and make it from materials that can be folded and go in my bag for use everywhere, though I would call it the time out spot.

Madminder
10-11-2009, 11:02 AM
i use the bottom step of my stair only for really bad stuff though, my partners even threatened to put some of the parents on it should of seen thier face

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Hebs
10-11-2009, 11:05 AM
i have a red cushion pad from Ikea

I call it the "reflection seat" where they go to think about thier behaviour and how it affects others, :thumbsup:

kids still call it the naughty spot :rolleyes: :laughing:

nokidshere
10-11-2009, 11:22 AM
If mine need time out they sit on the bottom step - always. Whats humiliating about it? The person who gets to use it most is the 14 year old I "mind" LOL

Goatgirl
10-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi guys,
this is a really interesting thread - my most recent mindees (siblings) came to me from a much loved former childminder who used 'thinking time' as a way to control behaviour. I prefer lots of praise in general and distraction, 'the look' or 'the voice' etc which does work pretty much all the time. However problems with behaviour for me seem to be (1)at home time: touch wood, largely solved by a sticker chart next to the door :-D and (2)with squabbling over resources. I find in this situation they just get themselves into such a state they're too upset to listen and understand me.

Having read all your different methods I think I'll make a pair of 'chill out' spots which can be taken/used anywhere.

Thankyou all for sharing: I think I feel a fabric design project coming on! :D

bws,
Wendy

mabel
10-11-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't have a naughty step or place

you must remember only the behaviour is naughty not the child so never refer
to a child being naughty only her/his behaviour is naughty

hope this helps

Maguiresmonkeys
10-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Me too. We dont use the word 'naughty' at all.