PDA

View Full Version : dummy accidents....

HomefromHome
09-11-2009, 05:19 PM
i would like your opinions on dummies as my 10 month old mindee had an accident with one today...

normally she has it in the buggy/car/sleep only but as she is teething and was tired (due to poor sleep due to teeth!!) i let her have it (as have done before) as she likes to gum it to death!!! i have teethers but i think she gets more comfort from her dummy.
well she has now figured out how to 'pop' out of a bumbo and she landed face first on the floor. she didnt cry and i was oopsie daisy like and picked her up. to my horror she looked like a vampire with 2 trails of blood coming out of her mouth! she had a graze on her chin too. after mopping her up and giving her a cold teether to gum on for a few minutes, i could see she has a cut on her top gum. this was obviously caused by the dummy.
i remember about a year and a half ago a cm had a mindee who went flying (2yrold) wi a dummy and where the plastic bit of the dummy broke it sliced her lip open.
now i feel i might make a dummy policy.... i have said to mum (who was fine) that i really dont want lo to have dummy in the house now other than buggy/car/sleep and she agreed saying she'll do it at home too (she also told me she had got out of her bumbo at home :rolleyes: ).

what do any of you think/do????????

David Sheppard
09-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi,

Anything that draws blood can make the incident seem 10 times worse. If a child falls on their face they are likely to put their tooth into their lip or bite their tongue whether or not they are sucking a comforter at the time. I can't see any reason to have a specific dummy policy. As long as you have written up the accident, and you have already said the parent was okay about it, that should be the end of the matter.

Everyone, us included, has accidents - toddlers just more likely to have quite a few in a relatively short space of time.

You did everything you could - and should - have done. So well done and don't fret. :clapping:

Regards

David

youarewhatyoueat
09-11-2009, 05:38 PM
What age are bumbo's for I thought they were only for babies that couldn't sit up unsupported?
Accidents happen, I would just write it up and not use the bumbo for this child but using a dummy is fairly normal isn't it, I can't really comment as I only have ever had one child using a dummy and only to get to sleep.

HomefromHome
09-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi,

Anything that draws blood can make the incident seem 10 times worse. If a child falls on their face they are likely to put their tooth into their lip or bite their tongue whether or not they are sucking a comforter at the time. I can't see any reason to have a specific dummy policy. As long as you have written up the accident, and you have already said the parent was okay about it, that should be the end of the matter.

Everyone, us included, has accidents - toddlers just more likely to have quite a few in a relatively short space of time.

You did everything you could - and should - have done. So well done and don't fret. :clapping:

Regards

David

oh bless you thank you!
i always worry when it's someone elses child - i do hate dummies a the best of times and i know worse is to come when she starts walking! i dont know why i'm worrying really as she is the fifth baby through my house, all had accidents etc - your right bout the blood! omg there was blood!!!!
all written up and mum was fine, gave advice bout lips might swell a little, may need calpol later etc - she hasnt any teeth at the mo thankfully, but will probablu invest in some softer teethers!

HomefromHome
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM
What age are bumbo's for I thought they were only for babies that couldn't sit up unsupported?
Accidents happen, I would just write it up and not use the bumbo for this child but using a dummy is fairly normal isn't it, I can't really comment as I only have ever had one child using a dummy and only to get to sleep.

bumbos can be up to 18 months according to my box - it's just they can get themselves out of them - my dd did from 8 months! lo is 10 months and yes i will be putting it away now.

also my dd who is now 4 still fits in it!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :laughing:

sweets
09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
i think i would do a bumbo policy rather than a dummy one. personally i dont like them and have heard a few stories of children falling out of them, and one story of a boy who got caught short and thought it was a potty and used it!:eek: lol.

for a child that is just learning to sit i would surround them with cushions rather than using a bumbo

Alibali
09-11-2009, 06:55 PM
My niece (now 21) fell out of bed when she was 18 months and had her dummy in -you know the original type cherry ones with holes around the plastic. Anyway my sis went in picked her up, cuddled her and put her back to bed in the dark. When she woke up in the morning it turned out her lip had burst and was sticking through the hole, she now has a round scar on her lip.

I've never liked dummys since. My mindees only get them at snooze time. They arrive at my house and take them out their mouths and give them to me happily.

Blackhorse
09-11-2009, 07:04 PM
I hate dummies...but that's just me.
My dd never had one and never wanted one either.
One of my mindees has one but he hardly has it in his mouth when with me.
He gets it when he is in the cot for sleeping and thats it.

what bothered me with his was that it was strapped to his jumper and it constantly got in his way when crawling and I dont think it is hygenic either to be quite honest.

I dont think you need a dummy policy..these accidents just happen and I guess it would have been similar without one too. Just falling on the face you can easily bump the limp so hard it bleeds...

If she has learned to pop out of the bumbo I think it is time to stop using it...even if the manufacturer says up to 18 months..these are just guidlines...each child is different and if LO has outgrown/outsmarted it I woulndt use it anymore

sarah707
09-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Hope the little one is ok!

I think you need to use what has happened to re-write / update your risk assessments.

You can turn it into a positive if you show you have reassessed the Bumbo and the dummy use.

Hth :D

HomefromHome
09-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Hope the little one is ok!

I think you need to use what has happened to re-write / update your risk assessments.

You can turn it into a positive if you show you have reassessed the Bumbo and the dummy use.

Hth :D

SARAH THANKU!!! sef here i come - well in a couple of days and r/a reviews

i only used the bumbo when preparing lunch tbh - it is cushions/thick blankets when playing together, etc - or she is in the high chair with things to play with whilst lunch making is in operation!! (lo's help prepare their lunch here)

The Juggler
09-11-2009, 07:57 PM
i think i would do a bumbo policy rather than a dummy one. personally i dont like them and have heard a few stories of children falling out of them, and one story of a boy who got caught short and thought it was a potty and used it!:eek: lol.

:laughing: :laughing: that happened to me to with my 2 year old mindee at the children's centre - I only turned my back for a minute!

I agree I'm not sure about bumbo's for older children but also hate children walking around with dummy's for exactly this reason in case they fall. We wouldn't let them walk around with anything else in their mouth but dummys' can cause just as much damage.

Maguiresmonkeys
09-11-2009, 08:46 PM
:laughing: :laughing: that happened to me to with my 2 year old mindee at the children's centre - I only turned my back for a minute!

I agree I'm not sure about bumbo's for older children but also hate children walking around with dummy's for exactly this reason in case they fall. We wouldn't let them walk around with anything else in their mouth but dummys' can cause just as much damage.

When I worked in a school for children with SEN we visited B and Q and one of the children 'used' one of the display toilets!! :laughing:

Pudding Girl
09-11-2009, 08:58 PM
I had a mindee who fell forward onto his face with dummy in mouth and grazed his nose and cut under his eye, just a little one but VERY close to his eye and it drew blood.