PDA

View Full Version : Early Years Quality and Capital Grant

Buzz Lightyear
09-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Afternoon all, happy Monday!

I've received a letter this morning to say I am eligable for the above which is to be spent on ICT. We're not told how much per setting or given any clue on what we can spend it on so I was hoping you guys could help me out. After speaking with a fellow childminder, she spent hers on a laptop, printer, camera, etc. etc. etc but I dont need any of that as I already have it all so I'd like to spend my grant on the children.

I can only think of a few things though, some include:

* childproof camera (the ones which are droppable)
* A v-tech vsmile console or something similar
* CD player

but then I get stuck. A friend has told me to put as many things down as possible but I cant think of anymore. I have to have written my ICT Audit and have sent it in by Friday this week or I'll miss out. For advice, we've been told to speak to our coordinators but can I get hold of her????

DH in Ireland so will be late home tonight so once littliest is in bed, I will be sitting down to do it. So any help, ideas very much welcome!

FussyElmo
09-11-2009, 02:28 PM
What about a camcorder, memory sticks, digital photoframes, dicaphone a lower case keyboard :)

Buzz Lightyear
09-11-2009, 02:31 PM
This is just it, I already have these as my hubby is a bit of a technology freak so we have majority of things which I know others have spent their funding on.

Pipsqueak
09-11-2009, 02:46 PM
This site is excellent at helpin gyou think further outside what WE perceive ICT
http://foundation.e2bn.org/

of the top of my head:
metal detectors
voice recorders
beebots
story phones

its anything programmable, twiddley buttons and switches

miffy
09-11-2009, 02:48 PM
There might be some ideas here for you

http://www.tts-group.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?cid=7

Miffy xx

Buzz Lightyear
09-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Funnily enough Pip, just found this site and am currently scanning through it. What a fab website it is for ideas, getting loads now from here. Genius...!

Buzz Lightyear
09-11-2009, 02:49 PM
There might be some ideas here for you

http://www.tts-group.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?cid=7

Miffy xx

Another gem, thanks Miffy! x

AnnieM
09-11-2009, 02:50 PM
How about a computer specifically for the children to use and lots of educational sftware. You could also go for the beebots, they come under ict.

OrlandoBelle
09-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Do they need proof that you're spending the grant money on these items? Do they ask for receipts? Or do they send you the actual products you ask for? I wish we had something like this in my area!

Could you not buy a second laptop just for mindees to use? Or buy all the ICT stuff you already have then sell it and buy other things you need for mindees with the money! Or is that a bit naughty?? Lol

Buzz Lightyear
09-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Not quite sure Aimee. I'm certain there will be something to make sure you spend the money on ICT items. I've got some ideas in mind thanks to the website suggestions posted by Miffy and Pip, just need some jargon as to how it'll improve my setting and also what areas the items come under. Talk about trying to put people off. I have a feeling others will take one look at the exhaustive work they need to do to get it and then not bother at all. Lets hope so, might mean more pennies for me to spend! :clapping:

Pipsqueak
09-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Try not to think of it initially how it will improve the Setting - think of how it will benefit the children (a LOT of of KUW, PSRN) and you could break it down further to individual children and needs. From there you take out the individual statements and generalise it.

This equipment will benefit further children in the future

Use words like:
enhance
benefit
individual needs
group needs
interactive / interaction
advancing
enlighten

etc

GOOD LUCK

ooh another thought - on the EYFS disc I am sure there are links and research about ICT

ajs
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Not quite sure Aimee. I'm certain there will be something to make sure you spend the money on ICT items. I've got some ideas in mind thanks to the website suggestions posted by Miffy and Pip, just need some jargon as to how it'll improve my setting and also what areas the items come under. Talk about trying to put people off. I have a feeling others will take one look at the exhaustive work they need to do to get it and then not bother at all. Lets hope so, might mean more pennies for me to spend! :clapping:

link it all to the 6 areas of l and d as in ict as a whole not the individaul items necessarily

they like that sort of thing

youarewhatyoueat
09-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I would get a couple of small laptops with childsize mouses you can get the ladybird ones. I would also get a normal digital camera for the older children with their own digital frame.

Buzz Lightyear
09-11-2009, 06:40 PM
link it all to the 6 areas of l and d as in ict as a whole not the individaul items necessarily

Okie dokie, thanks. Am just working on my spreadsheet now.

Tam's Tribe
09-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi

I too got the letter and I am going to put down:

Laptop for children (currently the older kids use mine)
Printer (mine is one its way out)
Digital Camera (the kids one like you)
Touch Screen Monitor
Kids Coloured USB Keyboard

Fingers crossed we can get it . . . just a warning, I have heard that it can take ages and ages (and I am talking months and months) to hear if your items have been approved, let alone to actually receive it.

Good Luck!

Lovies
Tam

Buzz Lightyear
09-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Oh my gosh, in the end, my handwritten list had 13 items on it but on my actual audit, I've put 10 on! Do you think that's too much??

The document I have typed is now a total of 7 pages long but that's because I've listed the areas of L&D and then broken them down into their individual aspects for each item I have listed.

Eeeek.... well at least they can't say I've not put a lot of work into it but I think it's safe to stop at that.

Thanks for all the help everyone! Lets see what happens next :thumbsup:

Tam's Tribe
09-11-2009, 08:22 PM
WOW, you have typed up 7 pages of justification . . . have I misread it, thought at this stage we just need to complete the form and send back.

HELP!!!

Tam's Tribe
09-11-2009, 09:10 PM
I am requesting 5 items *fingers crossed*

Buzz Lightyear
09-11-2009, 10:14 PM
The 7 pages only comes about as I have listed which L&D aspects the items I am requesting cover. As Miffy said, rather that just stating ICT, I have shown which items cover which areas of L&D and their aspects.

nokidshere
10-11-2009, 10:51 AM
The items you get will belong to the council paying for them - not to you. You will have to provide some evidence that you have bought the items you say you are buying.

As far as I am aware the first stage is simply filling in the forms. You don't need so much justification surely?

Buzz Lightyear
10-11-2009, 10:51 AM
As far as I am aware the first stage is simply filling in the forms. You don't need so much justification surely?

Well it asks for it so we have to give it.