PDA

View Full Version : do you charge for

daniellecherubs
09-11-2009, 11:15 AM
if you as a childminder take time off do you charge for your time off, ie perhaps half of normal fees, would like to know your views please..

Hebs
09-11-2009, 11:17 AM
i take 4 weeks full pay paid holidays, no fee if im off sick :thumbsup:

Minstrel
09-11-2009, 11:18 AM
No i dont charge anything. I cant really justify what i would be charging for personally.

Merry-Minder
09-11-2009, 11:20 AM
I take 3 weeks full paid holiday, the only time I dont charge is when myself or my own children are ill. x

littlepixies
09-11-2009, 11:21 AM
i charge 1/2 normal fee if i book off as holiday. i dont charge if i am ill and unable to care for mindie.

Parents again also pay 1/2 fee for their booked holiday and full fee if they dont send child or collect early as its contracted hours and not my fault they have not used the hours.

at the end of the day no matter if your in full time work, part time work or self employed... everyone is entitled to 4-6 weeks holiday. Its down to you what you feel is fair on your self and family as well as the financial side for your mindies.
I do my best to have holiday around parents that way its easier for them. But at the end of the day.. they all get paid holiday so why shouldnt we??

LisaMcNally09
09-11-2009, 11:29 AM
i charge 1/2 normal fee if i book off as holiday. i dont charge if i am ill and unable to care for mindie.

Parents again also pay 1/2 fee for their booked holiday and full fee if they dont send child or collect early as its contracted hours and not my fault they have not used the hours.

at the end of the day no matter if your in full time work, part time work or self employed... everyone is entitled to 4-6 weeks holiday. Its down to you what you feel is fair on your self and family as well as the financial side for your mindies.
I do my best to have holiday around parents that way its easier for them. But at the end of the day.. they all get paid holiday so why shouldnt we??

same here:D

little chickee
09-11-2009, 11:35 AM
If i am not availiable to work for any reason i do not charge.

Tink
09-11-2009, 11:35 AM
If i'm off there is no charge for the child, I personally don't think it's right to charge if you cannot provide the service, but maybe thats just me:)

sweets
09-11-2009, 11:45 AM
i charge full fee for their hols, none for mine except christmas and easter when i get one week off paid (2 weeks a year)

Nat78
09-11-2009, 11:46 AM
I charge half fee for maximum of four week when I have my hols. No fee if I cannot provide care due to illness of myself or my children. Full fees if mindee has hols, is sick or has days off with parents/family. I know some that don't charge fees for their hols but build it into weekly minding rate charging a little bit more so over the year accumulate holiday pay that way.

Chatterbox Childcare
09-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Full fees from parents if they do not attend through sickness or holiday

2 weeks paid holiday per year for me

nil payment if I am sick or my children are sick and I am not open

merry
09-11-2009, 12:57 PM
For my holidays, illness, days off I don't charge. Not all parents can take time off when I do or have friends or relatives to step in, they may need to use another childminder/school club etc and have to pay them, and not all parents get paid for their time off either, 2 of mine don't. I do charge full fees for their holidays etc.

:)

miffy
09-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Full fees from parents if they do not attend through sickness or holiday

2 weeks paid holiday per year for me

nil payment if I am sick or my children are sick and I am not open

Same here! :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Chimps Childminding
09-11-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't charge anything if i am off! Like someone else said some people have to find alternative child care so could have to pay twice if i charge when not available. I charge full for child/parent sick and half for their holidays up to 4 weeks - any over that are charged at full!

singingcactus
09-11-2009, 05:36 PM
I don't charge if I take time off. I am not available and so there is no service to charge for.

Pudding Girl
09-11-2009, 06:29 PM
if you as a childminder take time off do you charge for your time off, ie perhaps half of normal fees, would like to know your views please..

No fees for my sickness, holidays or odd days off. I am not available so don't charge.

Full fees for the parent/child's sickness, holidays, odd days off.

Straws
09-11-2009, 07:41 PM
I dont charge if I have time off for sickness or holidays, full fee for their holidays sickness, Parents prefer it this way, as I think if a childminder was paid for sickness they would always be wondering if we pulled a fast one.

Straws xx

janminder
10-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Just 2 weeks paid holiday at normal rate. No fee for days off or sickness.

Madminder
10-11-2009, 10:46 AM
When I first started I didn't charge for my own holidays and only charged half-fee for parents hols but when I did my DCP and got talking to other minders I discovered that I was in the minority! At my next pay review I sent all my parents a letter telling them my new rates and also stating that I would now be taking two weeks paid holiday a year. I offered them the choice of paying me in full for two weeks or paying me half-pay for four weeks and they all chose the latter which is much better for me too, and none of them complained at all.
I always took my holiday in term time as I have no children so didn't see why I should pay premium rates for my holidays! Also, I used to earn a lot of extra money in the school holidays from the over 5s so seemed silly to be off then. Now though, I only work for two families so I can end up with only 2 weeks on full pay out of the 6 weeks, plus my own two weeks on half pay in June so I now try to get my families to take the same two weeks and I have those as well. This means I am on full pay for all but 4 weeks a year rather than what could be 12! Hope that makes sense?!

I don't charge if I am sick but do if they are.

Curly Quavers
10-11-2009, 04:10 PM
I take 6 weeks at half price per year -

2 Christmas
1 - Easter
2 - Summer
1 - October

Any other time I take I do not charge for. My holidays are important to me and my own family and I don't see why I shouldn't get holiday pay just because I am self employed. I give parents my dates at the beginning of every year so they should be able to get the same holidays off. I feel I give them plenty warning.

Everybody is different though :D

ChocolateChip
10-11-2009, 05:53 PM
If i am not availiable to work for any reason i do not charge.

Same here!
Having been a working parent on the other side of the coin I just feel it's something I personally wouldn't be comfortable with..... but fair play to those of you that get it :D

CherryBlossom
11-11-2009, 11:33 AM
When I start..

I was thinking of doing this-

Myself: Up to 2 weeks holiday Half fees - 2 weeks+ No fees
Parents: Up to 2 weeks holidays Half fees - 2 weeks+ Full fees

Then, I thought I could also offer an alternative option-

Myself- No pay at all
Parents- Full fees for anytime off

Not sure what works out best..probably about the same but can imagine some parents not being comfortable with paying me for holiday! But can also imagine parents who take long holidays not being happy to pay full fee's whilst away!

I think its quite difficult to decide!

x

cal
12-11-2009, 09:47 AM
If i am not available to work for any reason, i do not charge.

Mollymop
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't charge for my holidays or sickness or bank hols:)

ChocolateChip
12-11-2009, 01:42 PM
As already mentioned I don't charge for my time off and tend to take 2 weeks in summer and 2 over Christmas.
For the parents I basically have 2 systems, the term time only ones don't get any holiday allowance, as they already take all the school hols- I don't charge a retainer and choose to fill the spaces if I want to.
For 'all year' families, they get 2 weeks hols free, up to 2 weeks at half fee and anything over that is full fee.
That works out that with my hols and theirs they get the equivalent of up to 7 weeks free, if they choose to take it, but also I am not missing out on too much income.