PDA

View Full Version : NCMA National Conference - What did you miss?

David Sheppard
09-11-2009, 08:19 AM
First, like other posts here, I would like to say how enjoyable it was meeting and chatting with so many childminders and forum members at the National Conference. I would especially like to say how brilliant the lovely forum ladies from Leeds were - it was so great to meet you.

The conference was set in the beautiful, plush (but let's face it - expensive), 'art deco' Queens Hotel in the heart of Leeds. My wife Ann and I arrived on the Friday evening after flying up from Southampton. It was dark, dank and raining when we emerged from Leeds-Bradford airport to pick up our hire car. Our drive into Leeds had us becoming more and more dumfounded as we couldn’t believe just how many speed cameras were planted on the A65 – they are literally every few hundred yards. After getting a little lost in the evening rush hour traffic, by being stuck in the wrong lane, we did eventually find the hotel!

Susanna Dawson, chair of NCMA, opened the conference and immediately demonstrated her wonderful presence and confidence by bringing the excited, and loud, hundreds to order and welcoming us all. We were then treated to a rousing speech from Dame Gillian Pugh followed by the amazing, inspirational and heart-wrenching, life history of Annabel Karmel - I'm sure there wasn't a dry eye in the room as she described her agony at loosing her first child and how she used this grief as a springboard for improving all children's lives through healthy eating.

After refreshments we broke into our chosen morning workshops. I attended an exceptionally well presented 'Reading for Pleasure' session run by BookStart. The ladies knew just how to engage everyone and had us singing, chanting and interacting in no time at all - we all came out smiling and enthused.

Lunch was a time to grab a bite to eat, network and then get stuck into the Exhibition. There were loads of excellent stalls and tons of information, help and products to view, purchase and subscribe to. You could also buy raffle tickets or enter the Tombola to support NCMA’s ‘The Gail Hall Memorial Fund’.

The afternoon kicked off with the second workshop. I enjoyed the informative session covering the continued success of the Change 4 Life campaign. This very serious attempt to improve the nation’s health through education, encouragement and subtle changes to eating habits and exercise, was well presented.

After another short comfort break, we re-entered the Ballroom to attend the Policy Debate. Susanna again brought us to order and introduced the proposers and seconders for the four proposals put to the membership. Each vote was well debated and every one of the proposals were passed by counting postal and conference ballot papers. We were also introduced to the Joint Chief Executives of NCMA. Together, they described their roles and how they are working hard to improve the lives for all childminders by lobbying all political parties and government bodies.

The raffle and tombola raised more than £1000 – a great achievement.

In the evening we had a fabulous dinner dance. This was an excellent opportunity to get dressed up to the nines, have your picture taken by a professional photographer and produced for you as you waited, then enjoy the good food, great company and the excellent atmosphere of the exquisite ballroom. Afterwards, Susanna greeted everyone by saying she, as chair, had to choose the music for the first dance. She decided to do something different this year and called upon all the men at the dinner (not very many of us I must say) to come up to join her on the dance floor. About a dozen of us did! She then introduced ‘I love to Boogie’ by T-Rex as the first dance that we men had to ‘boogie’ to. I can’t ever remember so many camera flashes being clicked at one time as we all tried to jig in front of the audience of applauding women – scary moment!!!!!

The disco was brilliant and had us all shaking our stuff until about midnight.

After a leisurely breakfast on Sunday morning we departed the hotel at 11am. We then enjoyed the sights and sounds of Leeds until our evening flight back to Southampton arriving home exhausted, enthralled and enthused at 11pm.

So what did you miss if you did not attend? The answer is LOADS. So try to come along next year in BRISTOL.

Polly2
09-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks for that David it sounds like you had a great day :thumbsup: Bristol is a bit nearer for me so maybe I will see you there :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
09-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Sounds like you had fun - see you in Bristol as it is only an hour from me (if that)

jelly15
09-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Bristol will be much easier for me too. Something to look foward to:)

sdean
09-11-2009, 01:26 PM
thank you for that David from all of us northern girls. You forgot to mention what a source of amusement our northern accents were to you!! ha ha

We really enjoyed the conference to and it was lovely to actually chat to you in person - I will send you the photos as soon as I get them x :)

Roseolivia
09-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Sounds like you had a great time. Sadly Bristol is even further away from me.

Playmate
09-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks David for that account, Mick is sitting here trying to write a report for our local mag, so you have just given him some great inspiration :D

It was a fab weekend and we are looking forward to meeting more of you next year!

christine e
09-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks David for that account, Mick is sitting here trying to write a report for our local mag, so you have just given him some great inspiration :D

It was a fab weekend and we are looking forward to meeting more of you next year!

I too have to do a bit of a write up - thanks for the inspiration David. Sorry I didn't get to speak to you but I know who you are and I think you know who I am!

Christine

buildingblocks
09-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Thank you so much for that. I am only an hour away from Leeds and was gutted I couldn't attend due to lack of funds. I am hoping to go next year and you have inspired me to start saving - somehow!!!!

miffy
09-11-2009, 06:04 PM
I almost feel I was there after reading your account David - thanks for that and glad you had a good time!

Miffy xx

David Sheppard
09-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Thank you so much for that. I am only an hour away from Leeds and was gutted I couldn't attend due to lack of funds. I am hoping to go next year and you have inspired me to start saving - somehow!!!!

I know that quite a few of those present, who I spoke to, had received funding to attend. Perhaps that might be available to you next year. Ask your local coordinator if you have one (as I know from other posts on the forum that many don't) or perhaps your nearest group. Maybe some of those that did receive funding, on the forum, would advise.

Anyway, good luck with saving - you certainly would not regret it if this year was anything to go by.

Regards,

David

manjay
09-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Shame we didn't get to speak David although I did hand you the microphone when you posed your question to Annabel Karmel:D Not exactly the right time for a conversation!

David Sheppard
09-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Shame we didn't get to speak David although I did hand you the microphone when you posed your question to Annabel Karmel:D Not exactly the right time for a conversation!

And so elequently handed to me - thank you LOL :laughing:

She was lovely though wasn't she - brought a lump to my throat as she told us that terrible episode in her life. My wife Ann is a huge fan and cooks lots from her books. She was well chuffed to meet her after lunch and get her to sign one of her books on sale.

Maybe next time we'll chat - I love your website by the way - nice photos.

Regards,

David

Playmate
09-11-2009, 06:25 PM

She was lovely though wasn't she - brought a lump to my throat as she told us that terrible episode in her life. My wife Ann is a huge fan and cooks lots from her books. She was well chuffed to meet her after lunch and get her to sign one of her books on sale.

Regards,

David

I missed her book signing I was gutted :crying: I must have been too busy gas bagging!

manjay
09-11-2009, 06:45 PM

Regards,

David

Thank you!

I thought she was lovely too. I did know her story but it still brought a tear to my eye. We had a good chat while she was signing my book and she was very sweet. Not sure I will be able to let the children get their mucky paws on the book though:rolleyes:

buildingblocks
09-11-2009, 06:48 PM
I know that quite a few of those present, who I spoke to, had received funding to attend. Perhaps that might be available to you next year. Ask your local coordinator if you have one (as I know from other posts on the forum that many don't) or perhaps your nearest group. Maybe some of those that did receive funding, on the forum, would advise.

Anyway, good luck with saving - you certainly would not regret it if this year was anything to go by.

Regards,

David

Sadly that won't happen with our local authority

Madminder
10-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Sadly that won't happen with our local authority

Try your next RPF, I know that at least one region is putting the names of all RPF delegates into a hat for a funded place at next years conference, if you attend all three then you go in three times. I am going to suggest that we do this in the South East Region at our next committee meeting later this month and I am sure that other regions may also take this idea on board too so watch this forum for news of that!

christine e
10-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Try your next RPF, I know that at least one region is putting the names of all RPF delegates into a hat for a funded place at next years conference, if you attend all three then you go in three times. I am going to suggest that we do this in the South East Region at our next committee meeting later this month and I am sure that other regions may also take this idea on board too so watch this forum for news of that!

I think funding by regional committees varies region to region but I understand that we are to receive clear guidlines shortly about funding of places. Watch this space!

Cx

buildingblocks
10-11-2009, 02:14 PM

Will try this do you think that being a ROC member may swing it for me - sadly I don't know if they have the funding either but will try it.

Our troublei s that it costs twice as much as hubby comes too lol

Playmate
10-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Will try this do you think that being a ROC member may swing it for me - sadly I don't know if they have the funding either but will try it.

i can relate to that, fortunately for us Mick got funding for the conference, through being a support CM, however it still cost us a fair bit by the time we had paid for 2 nights accommodation and the dinner - but it was worth it :clapping:

Madminder
10-11-2009, 05:23 PM

Same here too. Unfortunately ROC members and officers do not get funding at present, there is only just enough money in the budget to cover the RPFs and committee meeting expenses in my region and I am sure it's the same elsewhere. Maybe NCMA will increase the budget one day to allow us to fund more people though.

Nix
10-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Hi David

I'm so sorry to have missed you...I was there! I saw you having a boogie on the dancefloor:D

What a weekend...:laughing:

David Sheppard
11-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi David

I'm so sorry to have missed you...I was there! I saw you having a boogie on the dancefloor:D

What a weekend...:laughing:

OMG - I can only imagine what it must have looked like LOL.

It was a great weekend though. :clapping:

David Sheppard
11-11-2009, 09:14 AM
The NCMA website has a news page for this event (note the similarity to my post LOL).

There is a link on the page for photos but it doesn't seem to have any in it yet.

http://www.*************//MainWebSite/Newslisting581a1f04.aspx?Map=B1784A3D5483266C1FA20 2FB5D447ECB&NewsItemID=219&NewsGroupID=4

Madminder
12-11-2009, 05:50 AM
Try the following link for the photos:

http://www.evp.amvp.co.uk/users/public/index.php?event_ID=589

David Sheppard
12-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Try the following link for the photos:

http://www.evp.amvp.co.uk/users/public/index.php?event_ID=589

Thanks for this link. :thumbsup:

I still couldn't get to the actual photos though as the left hand column was completely blank. If you have the same problem when you open the web page try going to their home page and selecting NCMA 2009 and all will be revealed. You can then choose the formal and informal pictures.

The photos are fab. OMG they even managed to get some of the men who 'love to boogie' eeek!

Enjoy....

Nix
12-11-2009, 10:44 AM
what a shock...pics of me on the NCMA website some of which I knew nothing about!!:blush:

AND there's some from last year...

Great to see them, brings it all back.:D

manjay
12-11-2009, 10:58 AM
OMG did you notice who is on the main picture here (http://www.*************//MainWebSite/Newslisting581a1f04.aspx?Map=B1784A3D5483266C1FA20 2FB5D447ECB&NewsItemID=219&NewsGroupID=4) :ROFL1:

Madminder
13-11-2009, 01:31 PM
For those still having problems here is the link forthe group shots:

http://www.evp.amvp.co.uk/users/public/index.php?event_ID=590&sub=1

and here is the link for the informal shots:

http://www.evp.amvp.co.uk/users/public/index.php?event_ID=591&sub=1

I see you in that picture Manjay! Sorry not to have met you though, do you know the person on the other side of Annabel? I am sure that I have met her but can't remember her name!

LOL at Nix! I see you are in Surrey so just wondering if I have already met you at any of the SE RPFs? Shame we never got to meet at the weekend.

manjay
13-11-2009, 01:59 PM
I see you in that picture Manjay! Sorry not to have met you though, do you know the person on the other side of Annabel? I am sure that I have met her but can't remember her name!

You probably will have met her as she is Chair of Wales ROC. The other is my network coordinator who decsribes herself as looking like she is sucking a lemon:D

singlewiththree
13-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Are the general pics from the day just going in Who Minds? Wherever I looked the photographer seemed to be there and I really am hoping the pics of us doing the physical development workshop aren't used :blush:

Madminder
14-11-2009, 01:15 AM
You probably will have met her as she is Chair of Wales ROC. The other is my network coordinator who decsribes herself as looking like she is sucking a lemon:D

I knew she looked familiar, yes, I have met her! Thanks.

Are the general pics from the day just going in Who Minds? Wherever I looked the photographer seemed to be there and I really am hoping the pics of us doing the physical development workshop aren't used :blush:

LOL! I was in the workshop next door and it certainly sounded like you were having fun in there! I expect that some of them will be used but obviously not all, they will pick the best ones so you never know, you might have your 15 minutes of fame! Sorry not to get to meet you, maybe next year?