PDA

View Full Version : over 8's- playing outside?

ChocolateChip
03-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi, bit of a controversial one I fear!

Does anyone have a policy/ consent form that allows older children to play outside.
The reason I ask is that I live virtually next door to a play park and field and my own children aged 7and 5 are allowed to play there with their friends. I can see and hear most of what goes on, who they are with etc. and wonder if anyone in the same situation would let an 8 yr old mindee out, with parental permission, etc.
My own garden is ok for toddlers, but far too small for the older ones to let off steam and with (hopefully) the better weather coming am wondering what to do- any thoughts?

Nikki :huh:

angeldelight
03-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Sorry I cant help

I do not allow it

If parents expect me to mind their child and keep them safe I cannot do it if they are out playing with friends - even if it is outside my house

If I have babies and toddlers I feel that if older children are elsewhere with out 100% supervision from me then Im not doing my job correctly

Say if one of them ran off - say if one of them went missing - say if one of them got hurt ? Say if some older children came along and started to bully them ?

I know its good for kids to get out with their friends - but I dont need that in my time

I dont want the extra work to be honest

So it is simple I just say NO

I would allow for the children to go to the park but I would take the younger ones so I could supervise all the children together

Those are my views and we are all different though so some of the others may be able to help you with this

miffy
03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Sorry I'm with Angel on this one

Where would your responsibility begin and end???

Even with parental permission it would be a no no for me

Miffy xx

Blaze
03-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Personally I'm with Angel on this...however i do know of minders in similar situations to you who allow minded children to play in the fields behind their houses with parental permission.
I just couldn't do it myself.
Tasha:)

berkschick
03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Im sorry but I too agree with Angel!

We have a large green out the front of my house and my older children (13, 10 and 6) are all allowed to play out there but I do not let the minded children.

I know it is harsh but I would never forgive myself if anything happened to a minded child out there.

Obviously I realise something could happen to my own kids there too but that is my choice to make and I am only answerable to myself about my children.

Twinkles
03-03-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't think I would be able to relax iyswim if I did that even when we go to adventure playgrounds I'm always bobbing up and down for a glimpse of mine.
The standards say they have to be within sight or sound of you at all times don't they?
I can see your point though I'd probably let my own do it ( not mindees ).

deeb66
03-03-2008, 05:09 PM
I am sorry Nikki but I also agree with everyone else.

There is no way I would allow anyone of my mindee's to go out when they are supposed to be in my care.

wendywu
03-03-2008, 05:16 PM
It is not worth all the trouble that you would get into if there was an accident or even worse a missing child. You know from this site how some parents can be and Ofsted are worse. I would not allow it, it is not worth the stress.:panic:

katickles
03-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Yeah i'm with all the others to. You probably wouldn't be able to relax & wouldn't end up doing it anyway. :)

Spangles
03-03-2008, 05:21 PM
I've gone with the same opinion as everyone else and I know that this has lost me after school care contracts on two occasions but I think they're right.

sandy
03-03-2008, 05:47 PM
I agree with everyone else.

It just wouldn't be worth the hassle at best, or guilt and grief at worst if something should happen.

we've got enough to think about already

Sandy x

charleyfarley
03-03-2008, 05:48 PM
When I first started mindeing I actually went along with parents who wanted this. Never again!

Where we lived it was very quiet so the over eights were allowed to play outside my house and only there.

The amount of times I popped my head out the door to check and the two lads weren't there.

We had woods by us and they would somehow end up in there even though they weren't allowed.

I stopped it in the end. It was hard for the children as they were used to the freedom as they lived in the same street as me.

The thing is no matter how much I told them not to go off they soon did when their friends turned up.

I've never done it since and would definately not reccommend it no matter what the parent says.

Sorry if it's not the response you were hoping for

Carol xx

crazybones
04-03-2008, 07:08 AM
I have this problem too. My 2 eldest mindees of 10 are in the same year as my son and they have all been friends since nursery. My son is allowed to play out of an evening after homework with another friend who lives in our street but I dont allow these 2 to go with him. I do feel a bit mean but better that than explain to a parent that something happend out of my sight.

Annie x

LittleMissSparkles
04-03-2008, 09:58 AM
I totally agree with everyone alhough one parent gave me written permission for her 10 years old to play outside in the park at the bottom of our close ( literally minute away and can see from my house ) but I always say oooh its too cold or say wouldnt you like to help us do such and such or make one of these with us so far she has always stayed and joined in with us as I really dont like the idea of her been out my sight xxx

patconn2
04-03-2008, 11:16 AM
hi

I live in a village, in a cul-de-sac with a park at the end. All my neighbours know eachother and that I child mind. My older mindees are allowed along the street and at the park. There are no busy roads to cross. One of them lives on the same street anyway.
Parents have signed forms to acknowledge that i have limited liability while there children are out playing. My care commission officer is fine with this because of my situation, but has told me that if we lived anywhere busier or in town, then she couldn't allow it.

Think it depends on your environment really.

Donna
xxx

LittleMissSparkles
04-03-2008, 11:38 AM
hi

I live in a village, in a cul-de-sac with a park at the end. All my neighbours know eachother and that I child mind. My older mindees are allowed along the street and at the park. There are no busy roads to cross. One of them lives on the same street anyway.
Parents have signed forms to acknowledge that i have limited liability while there children are out playing. My care commission officer is fine with this because of my situation, but has told me that if we lived anywhere busier or in town, then she couldn't allow it.

Think it depends on your environment really.

Donna
xxx

sound just like my close Donna x

Heaven Scent
04-03-2008, 12:23 PM
When I was minding in the past I lived in a tiny close off another close my close had only 4 houses in it and I minded older children from 2 of the houses and ther was a park right opposite my house and the kitchen window was facing it and in those days social services were very happy for the children to play there infact they thought it was great and so safe it was surrounded by bushes and farm land. The children were in my sight at all times that is until the parents decided to interfere and give keys to their 7&9 year olds so they could get back into their houses to collect bikes skateboards etc etc It was a total nightmare so thats when I started writing up policies of my own stating how I wanted to run things. The other thing that started happening was they kept asking if they could go to play with friends from the main part of the close - it was small and everyone knew everyone else I stopped that and said they could come to mine but I made sure I wasn't responsible for the other kids and so long as I was within my numbers I was ok I also rang my insurers for guidance not much help there, the more help they give you and the more you put in your policey they more likely it is that they have to pay out on a claim they can't refuse on claims of neglect. Insurers always love to keep the insured in the dark for that reason.

There were two registered childminders in the close one who had babies and me who had the older ones. My children were babies and the others children were 8ish. Then there was the neighbour from hell who knew everyones business and was a huge gossip. She was paid by some people in the clsose to mind other peoples children for less than us registered minders (which was £2.00 & £1.50 pH at the time). Someone reported her and she denied being paid but she came banging and shouting at our two houses accusing us. We all have a feeling we know who it was they reported everyone for everything. An older retired couple with no kids living in a development designed for young families - always shouting at the kids and everything.

Anyway I wouldn't do it now. not even if I still lived there. I can't do it here as I live on a main road on route to M6 'I suppose I could always let them out to play dodge the traffic - what do you think ofsted would make of that in my policies.

Celine

ChocolateChip
10-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Sorry, haven't had a chance to get on here for a few days to say thanks for all your replies.
Knew it was a tricky one, it helps to hear other peoples views,
Cheers, Nikki.

angeldelight
10-03-2008, 10:08 PM
What did you decide to do Nikki?

Angel xx

ChocolateChip
15-03-2008, 09:28 PM
I am going to ask mum in for a feedback session as we have passed the trial period and I will go through all the risks, limitations, etc and see if she still wants him to play outside.
I will give it a go but make it very clear that if the slightest problem occurs then I will call a halt to it.

miffy
15-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Good luck with that

Miffy xx

angeldelight
15-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Good luck from me also

Angel xx

casey's mum
16-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Soz but I too agree with Angel on this!

Angela xx

Chimps Childminding
16-03-2008, 06:47 PM
I agree with everyone else!! had similar problem with 9 year old I look after she lives on the same estate and is allowed out to play when at home with her parents, she doesn't like it very much that I don't allow her to do the same when she is with me (especially when her friends come to call for her!) but i can't keep an eye on her and the little ones, especially if she wanders off or goes into someones house to play - so unfortunately she has to play in the garden with the little ones or do some craft activity in the house! luckily she is only here a day or so each week in the hols and half an hour after school so it isn't too bad!

Rubybubbles
16-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Last summer I looked after an 10 and 12 yr old!

NO I'm been payed to look after them is the only way I look at it! But they now don't come an dI see them out and about ove rthe half terms ect and their parents at work:(

I do let my ds out to play, but he is mine, I would have to deal with it, but I'm on pins for him, I would be worst for someone elses child IYSWIM

disney
19-03-2008, 10:17 AM
no i would not let any children i care for go any were without me , even if they are other 8 . i know they do go park ect when they are at home but with me my rules are different . dont see how i could be doing my job , if they are not safe i would just be so worried :panic: i couldnt even think about it sorry :eek:

snowqueen
19-03-2008, 11:21 AM
I must say i am looking after 2 boys, they like to play out after school, where i live is no main roads. They play in the park with there friends and then they come in at 4:00 pm now its lighter and then they have tea. Then they can do what ever they choose to play or read, or listen to music til they go home.

devoncm
26-03-2008, 05:19 PM
I dont even let my own 8 yr old out to play and were in a close so i wouldnt let minded ones out either.even though im on a close it still only takes one car to drive too fast or some wierdo to walk up the road.

deeb66
26-03-2008, 05:22 PM
I dont even let my own 8 yr old out to play and were in a close so i wouldnt let minded ones out either.even though im on a close it still only takes one car to drive too fast or some wierdo to walk up the road.

That is my kind of thought too!

You wouldn't want it to happen to any child but imagine what it would be like if a minded child went missing!