PDA

View Full Version : Planning for under 3's

Tink
08-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I've just had a 2 year old girl start, she likes the doll and pram, peppa pig, play kitchen/shop, bricks etc.

I just don't know what to plan for her, when i ask mum what they have done when she's not with me she says we just play!!!

I feel She is too young for planning topics so what should I do?

babs
08-11-2009, 05:44 PM
i did leaf pictures with my 2 yr and 12 month old mindees stickin on dried leaves then lamianted for placemats , 2 yr old loves to paint too althou ive learnt to only put a small amount of paint out as she dont stop till its all gone :laughing: :laughing:... made a firework for bonfire nite and have planned to do some tissue pictures with them like snowman, ill cut tissue into square they can screw it up stick it on.... i dont plan days as such just go with the flow and depends on how they are feelin too...

miss mopple
08-11-2009, 05:54 PM
At that age I would just plan things I know she will like through continuous provision. Watch how she plays, what she likes and extend from there- so you could bath dollies, put peppa figures in sand tray etc to broaden her experiences through playing with favourite toys.

Lainey Lou
08-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi there, I know what you mean, I look after a 2 year old mindee and also have my own who is the same age and sometimes I find planned topics go right over their heads so I just go with the flow at the moment.

The things I have done with them in the past that have gone down well are: *playing with cooked spaghetti with pans and wooden spoons etc,
*washing up bowl with abit of soapy water plastic cups/saucers and a small cloth to wash up (does get abit wet but a plastic shower curtain is ideal to protect the floor),
*as babs said painting is another good one but goes everywhere (I tend to just strip them off to their vests with an apron and have a bowl of soapy water on hand to wash them down!),
* making small 'cakes' with play dough and then putting them in the play kitchen oven,
* sticking all sorts of bits and bobs (wool, pasta, tissue paper) onto sticky backed plastic (then you don't have to bother with glue!),
* also singing nursery rhymes/songs with musical instruments - they always get the box out with the instruments in every day!

I dont tend to do planned topics with them though, although my mindee loves watching fish so I took them to an aquarium which they loved and then did a few fish activities at home which just went right over their heads and they weren't interested! I just go with the flow, hope these ideas are of some help! :) xx

jumpinjen
08-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Hi,

if she is new, would be good to sit and play, and see what things she engages and plays with for a week or so... as you get the feel of what she is interested in, then build on them by expanding the interest, perhaps a visit to see real pigs if she loves peppa pig, a trip to the local shop with her own bag and a list you have written together, she can hand over the money and take the receipt, then walk home, You could cook together with the ingredients. 2 yr olds LOVE to cook, stirring the mixture or making little pizzas on muffins etc. that extends her interest in shopping and cooking. You could try building with other things like larger cardboard boxes from food, then knock them down, or try modelling clay/playdough. If she is unsure of new experiences like playdough, try them again a few days later... she will enjoy it after a while most likely!!

Good luck!

jenni:)

Tink
08-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks everyone, you have given me some great ideas. Sometimes you feel like theres nothing to do, but you guys always have great ideas. I'll try some of them tomorrow and get back to you, thanks again xxx

ss1983
11-01-2010, 09:59 AM
hi i have 1 year old and im doing a topic on senses has anyone got any ideas that willlink to the eyfs. he loves messy play but if i get something out for him to play with he just crawls away and plays with something else he enjoys being out at differnt toddler groups

Leelee
18-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Dont know if this is a good idea but I went on the implementing EYFS course not long ago and they helped me with planing cus I found it confusing! They told me to break it down, so on 1 sheet I have a box for each child and I put in what they've CHOSE to play with that week, so in your lo's case, peppa pig, pretend/role play and construction. Then in a box next to this I had my What to plan, so for you I probably would have put....stories with piggies in, 3 little pigs, which could lead to a story sack or puppet show. Then you could introduce the house building from the story and make houses out of different materials, so like the "bricks" then sand, lollypopsticks etc! Hope this makes sense!!! It really helped me plan the next activity. It was also good when you spot something ALL the children like, so if the children ALL played with the bricks, you could possibly do BRICK PRINTING with paint, etc! Once you have this ONE sheet (should be done weekly) you can get obs from it, individual planning, and what things you need to introduce to your continuous provision. Help this helps, Ive gone on a bit, lol