PDA

View Full Version : sorry lots of questions today !1

estrelas
08-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I have never agreed with TV's in childrens bedrooms, just a personal thing.

But My daughter is asking for one now, so she has her own space when I'm working,
Whats everyones views on TV's in kids rooms?

sweets
08-11-2009, 12:43 PM
i don't agree with it really till they are teenage. i know a 2 year old that has to have a dvd on everynight to go to sleep:eek: whats wrong with a few stories i don't know!

i had one as a teenager and it was great as me and my parents obviously had different tastes in evening tv and i could go to my room with friends and watch it.

one child i know who is 8 has one in his room but it hasnt got an arial in it, it is just for ps2. which i think is a good compromise as its not hogging the lounge tv.

LOOPYLISA
08-11-2009, 12:43 PM
My dd didnt have one that early on,

Shes now nearly 12 and is getting a bigger flat screen in there from santa this yr :thumbsup:

My friends dd fall asleep with her's on which i think is wrong :panic: , just my pesonal opinion .

Tink
08-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I personally think TV should be for family time, My little girl is only 16 months old, but i'd want her to play instead of watching Tv i suppose it's ok for a short while, but I wouldn't let my daughter have one when she's older. but maybe thats just me:)

Blackhorse
08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
I wouldnt want to have a TV in dd's room until she is older....
I had one from about 12ish I think.
It is nice though to be able to go and watch something in your own room ...especially if nobody else wants to see it...
and I used it to play my Sega on it...

I think the child needs to be mature enough to have it in the room and still follow rules about it. and if that doesnt work I would take the TV back out of the room

dont agree to have it as a bedtime aid or anything like that though!

estrelas
08-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys Thats my feelings too

I love our bed time stories and i suppose a tv would create arguements as there is no way i'd let her watch tv at bed time!!

I just need to think of another way to make her bedroom more appealing when the mindees are here, when shes tired.
I don't use our tv when i'm working, in fact we rarely turn it on. just x factor on a saturday :blush: :laughing:

mushpea
08-11-2009, 01:04 PM
My 2 use the spare room as a tv/chill out room, obvously they have their own rooms too to play in where they keep their own toys which they arent willing to share,(upstairs is of limits to mindees) but at the moment they just watch it toghether, i suppose the time will come when they want one in their rooms so they can watch their own stuff.

Twinkles
08-11-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm the biggest meanie ever and mine aren't allowed their own tv 'till they're 15.

Having said that we've always been lucky enough to have a playroom ( having given up our dining room ) so there has always been a room for them to watch tv in relative peace while mindees rampage !

sarah707
08-11-2009, 01:13 PM
My 2 had their own tvs at age 10.

It was not my choice - their dad bought them.

Having said that ... they are useful things to be able to take away for messy rooms / bad behaviour :laughing:

The Juggler
08-11-2009, 01:23 PM
mine are not until they are much older (14/15) but we have a portable dvd and now they are older on a weekend they still go up at 8pm so we can have our grown up time but are allowed to watch a dvd for a little while longer. It's not a permanent fixture in their room and they never turn it on without asking if it's been left in there.

PixiePetal
08-11-2009, 01:48 PM
My kids are 13 and 15 - they don't have a TV in their rooms. With laptops they can watch DVDs and we have a TV in the playroom for them to watch or play on the Wii on evenings and weekends - only since moving to new house.

Got the laptops in the last year, before that they could go to my room and watch TV if I was working - I love a TV in the bedroom :)

manjay
08-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Ok I will hold my hands up and admit my 3 1/2 year old has a tv in his room. Does that make me a bad Mummy? Not in my eyes. He wakes up early on a Sunday morning and that is when he gets to watch it. We have strict ruleas about when it goes on and off and I don't see it as a major problem. My older 2 also have them but as we do not have the luxury of a seperate room the only way that they can escape the madness that is my house is by going to their room. Just my opinion of course:rolleyes:

PixiePetal
08-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Ok I will hold my hands up and admit my 3 1/2 year old has a tv in his room. Does that make me a bad Mummy? Not in my eyes. He wakes up early on a Sunday morning and that is when he gets to watch it. We have strict ruleas about when it goes on and off and I don't see it as a major problem. My older 2 also have them but as we do not have the luxury of a seperate room the only way that they can escape the madness that is my house is by going to their room. Just my opinion of course:rolleyes:

By 3 1/2 DD was going downstairs and putting a video on by herself at the weekends :rolleyes: She was a bit of a TV addict, hence keeping it out of her room. Rules had to be laid out and 7am was considered early enough :)

manjay
08-11-2009, 02:04 PM
By 3 1/2 DD was going downstairs and putting a video on by herself at the weekends :rolleyes: She was a bit of a TV addict, hence keeping it out of her room. Rules had to be laid out and 7am was considered early enough :)

Mine would be in way too much mischief if he could get downstairs;) At least this way I can hear what he is doing:D

PixiePetal
08-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Mine would be in way too much mischief if he could get downstairs;) At least this way I can hear what he is doing:D

:laughing: she was really good actually, but before 7am on a weekend was still night time for me :) She started coming in to us at 7 and asking to go downstairs. Never touched anything or got up to mischief :thumbsup:

manjay
08-11-2009, 02:12 PM
:laughing: she was really good actually, but before 7am on a weekend was still night time for me :) She started coming in to us at 7 and asking to go downstairs. Never touched anything or got up to mischief :thumbsup:

I don't remember my girls being the same but I caught him the other day with 3 chairs piled on top of each other so he could reach the magnet to open the goody cupboard:rolleyes:

margimum
08-11-2009, 02:50 PM
My own children had tv's in their rooms from about 10, but never used them as they always wanted to be downstairs with us!
I think your daughter sounds sensible and has a good argument if you don't have a separate room downstairs, away from mindees.
You could get her to agree to time limits, and it could be a great bargaining tool for you!:)

youarewhatyoueat
08-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Mine have had tv's and dvd players since they were about 6/7 and to be honest its never been a problem, we have 4 children now in 2 bedrooms so they need somewhere to go and have a chill out and have friends round. The girls who are both teenage watch it quite a bit but the boys age 4 and 7 never use it. They(the teenage girls that is) use their laptops more, believe me tv is far less a problem than facebook and msn.

babs
08-11-2009, 05:30 PM
my son ad tv in his room when he was 5 it was xmas present was 6 in the feb but only used it on saturday and sunday mornings once he'd had breakfast use to go off once we got up.. theses days he loses it more than watches it...:laughing: :laughing: it was a stereo i had problem with his dad got him one when he was 2 i thought he was to young but really enjoyed his music and now hes 17 and a dj with his own moblie disco so guess it helped him in long run :D ..... ( his dads a dj too so he was brought up with music rather than tv )

Bananabrain
08-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Son aged 11 hasn't got one and isn't going to have one either!
I've got one in my room tho':laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Reckon too much tv turns your brain into vegetable soup!

fionamal
08-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Both of my kids aged 6 and 5 have them in their room but thats their haven where they go to watch their tv afterschool when ive still got kids here and also they get to watch it on the weekend mornings so we can get a longer lie (well until 8am)

LittleMissSparkles
08-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Well Im not going to be popular when I say that my dd has a tv and dvd player in her room and has done since she was about 3 due to the fact that up till putting it in her room and allowing her it on to fall asleep too I had not had a full nights sleep from her being born, the only way to get her to bed was to allow her the tv on for 10 mins usually she was asleep within less than that. Does that make me a bad mum ???? to be honest I didnt really care what people thought then as I was sooo desperate for sleep I'd have done anything sorry, she still has it on now after a bedtime story for 10 mins to get her to sleep

polly0
08-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Same here, my son is 12 and he is'nt allowed one, but he has'nt asked for a long time. But have just been discussing with hubby about a chill out room for him to go to when mindees are here.:laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
08-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I know where she is coming from and I relented as my one is often either off, ps2 games or children's programmes.

What about giving her a compromise and having freeview and a dvd player with a curfew in the evenings?

Lou
08-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Well Im not going to be popular when I say that my dd has a tv and dvd player in her room and has done since she was about 3 due to the fact that up till putting it in her room and allowing her it on to fall asleep too I had not had a full nights sleep from her being born, the only way to get her to bed was to allow her the tv on for 10 mins usually she was asleep within less than that. Does that make me a bad mum ???? to be honest I didnt really care what people thought then as I was sooo desperate for sleep I'd have done anything sorry, she still has it on now after a bedtime story for 10 mins to get her to sleep

same here S, but different reasons. My DD has had a tv in her room since she was 3, mainly due to the fact that her brother had one and she needed space from mindees. I am no longer minding and i dont regret the decision to let her have one. We have no ariel on our house as its a new house and i didnt want to splash out on one, we have sky plus in lounge and multiroom upstairs.To make evryones lives easier, DS has a link to multiroom and DD has a link to main sky plus. It gives them space and lets them have a treat if they deserve one.

They dont fall asleep to tv but yes they have one, and i am not sorry at all about that, my dd has not been at all bothered about ers as it has not been seen as a massive deal.

I see the fact i cant get DS off MSN and facebook a much bigger problem!!!!

tulip0803
08-11-2009, 10:50 PM
None of mine have a tv in their bedrooms - oldest is 17 and he hasn't asked for one since he was little:thumbsup: - the girls ask occasionally but half heartedly.

We only have one tv in the house that gets programmes now beacuse we switched to digital here in Sept and everywhere is sold out of freeview boxes. We have one with DS PS3 attached in the attic but it does not get tv programmes. There are soooooo many arguments about the tv and the children all hide the remote now in the hopes that no-one turns the tv over so I am on the verge of banning it completely:rolleyes:

suzyblue
09-11-2009, 07:55 AM
When my 3 older kids were teenagers they all had tvs because I would have done anything to get them away from me!!!!!
My youngest, 13 has a tv but no aerial so she can play games and watch dvds. She very rarely does though as she prefers to chuck me out of the front room and use the bigger screen for her nintendo wii.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
09-11-2009, 08:04 AM
My dd1 who is 10 has a tv in her room and I hate to say she has sky as well but it is a god send as when I have the mindees she can go up to her room and chill out. I don't have a problem with it at all what ever works for you.

Susan I would have done the same as you and if it works what does it matter what anyone else says.

DD1 is ill with swine flu and I am just so glad she has a tv in her room otherwise she would be driving me mad.

little chickee
09-11-2009, 11:33 AM
My 3 boys(12, 10 & 6) have tv's in their room and have done since about age 5. They are used for watching dvds and playstation and my eldest has a freeview box (Dave is his favorite station!).

They can watch a dvd before bed but once it is bedtime the tv goes off - they have never gone to sleep with the tv on.

With 5 people in the house (plus 4 mindees) we all want to do different things at different times so we actually have 5 tv's!! They are not all on at the same time honest!

I only think tv's in bedrooms are a problem if kids are watching them at times when they should be sleeping - if you have strictly adhered to rules then its not a problem.

Hebs
09-11-2009, 11:37 AM
my kids had tv's in their rooms from around 3 yr old too,

tbh they don't watch that much tv, i think it all comes down to wanting what they can't have, once they have one the novelty wears off :laughing:

LittleMissSparkles
09-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Susan I would have done the same as you and if it works what does it matter what anyone else says.

thanks Lorraine xxx

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
09-11-2009, 04:42 PM
my children are 2 and 3 and ive had this agument with my husband, ive said their not to have a tv intheir rooms until there atleast 8/9, where as he would let them have them now.

The main reason for this is he works 80hr weeks and when he does get a weekend off he wants a lie in so his thinking is if they had a telly they could watch it rather then waking him up at 6.30am!

But because im a meany and feel very strongly about this then they wont be getting them for a few years yet!:)

Merry-Minder
09-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I bought one for my son last christmas when he was 6 - I see nothing wrong with it as long as he dosent spend too long watching it, which is my job to make sure of that.