PDA

View Full Version : Do you get gifts from parents/Mindees?

Bazza
08-11-2009, 10:24 AM
In the festive season, people are doing some odd searches online, this made me wonder if it is common practice for you to get gifts from mindees?

What sort of gifts do mindees buy you and what is the best/worst thing you have ever received? Do you buy gifts in return?

patevans
08-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I buy all of the children Christmas and Birthday gifts, last year I got 2 Christmas gifts out of 5 families and not even a card from the rest :(

I dont give to recieve but just think I box of choccies cost 2-3 pounds and I dont even get that!

nell57
08-11-2009, 10:41 AM
I always buy the mindees a gift for birthdays and Christmas. Last Christmas all the families sent gifts. Some families give me birthday presents, but that only the ones who know when it is, (dont advertise it now a days;) )

The Juggler
08-11-2009, 10:44 AM
I get from some and not from others. Some I don't even get a card from. Don't even get a thank you from some parents for the mindee present:(

cuffleygirl
08-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Some parents not others - what always amuses me is that I have one particular full timer who's mum always sends in lots of presents for his teachers but doesn't ever buy for me! I'm the one who helps him into school with flowers and chocs for teachers and teaching assistants I always think she enjoys the showmanship and that's the spirit of things so I am happy not to receive!

I don't give to receive, however, I have had this mindee for 7 years and have always bought him birthday and xmas presents. I am never ever made to feel appreciated in anyway and always get the feeling she begrudges paying me so its not even that.

Nat78
08-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I must be lucky. Both myself and my children recieve gifts from all my mindees, and my partner off one family. I also buy my mindees presents for christmas and birthdays.

ajs
08-11-2009, 11:42 AM
yes from this current lot i get lovely presents birthday and christmas

for my birthday i got a costa coffee gift card with £20 on it from 1 and a beautiful necklace and wind chime from another,
my oldest mindees mum used to buy me spa days at centre parks and massages but i think the recession has hit now as although they are still fab presents the cost has gone down a bit

Pudding Girl
08-11-2009, 11:57 AM
I buy for all the children and help them to make gifts for their parents. I only got a present once for Xmas from a family (it was lovely though, a watch and bracelet set I was a bit :blush: tbh it was a bit much) and a birthday gift once from a different family (£10 New Look giftcard).

I don't want presents really, I get shy lol but I do wish I would get cards as they cost what a penny or 2 from a box set really, and I like cards :)

madasahatter
08-11-2009, 02:45 PM
All my families usually buy me something (lovely peeps that they are), usually wine, chocs or one of those xmas bulb/flower baskets. Wine is my fav though;)

The Juggler
08-11-2009, 03:55 PM
l've had the most gorgeous jewellry from one mum and lovely vouchers. Last year I even got £40 from one mum to go and spoil myself. some of mine also buy for my children which I would never expect.

I have to say I would never expect it, but when you don't even get a card from parents, I just think that's rude:mad: after all we buy presents for their children, I have even bought for siblings I don't look after if I know them well. However, am stopping that now after lack of thank yous last year.

To be honest most of my parents are really lovely and money is tight (I know that with 11 mindees to buy for plus 5 of them with birthdays over Christmas) so I would never expect anything, its the thought and wishes that count. I'd be happy with just a merry christmas and thanks for the present little x got.

TheBTeam
08-11-2009, 04:48 PM
For the past two years one family has given us £50 in a card as a family, which is think is lovely as their weekly bill is only £32!!

Bananabrain
08-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Got a lovely voucher last year,which was a real shock and much appreciated.
Over the last two years, I have always got gifts,cards and even made home-made birthday cakes for mindees.
It does make me a bit sad that alot of the time I don't even get acknowledged.
I certainly don't give to receive either but I have to say that when I first started minding it shocked me how rude people are and how they don't teach their children to write thankyou notes etc.
Hubby says that when I stop expecting everyone to have the same standards as me, I will enjoy the job more!!!

Mouse
08-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't get anything for my birthday as I don't tell them when it is, but I always get christmas presents. I even still get a presents form an ex-mindees. I also get presents from their holidays.

I buy for the children's birthdays & for christmas, but not from holidays as I don't buy for anyone from holiday (not even family).

I have had some lovely, really thoughtful presents over the years. I don't drink alcohol though, so DH is always happy if I get any as a present as he gets to drink it!

chels55
08-11-2009, 06:12 PM
I recieved lots of prezzies last christmas. But i too didn't even have a card from one.
I also got told off by two mums who saw my birthday cards on the mantelpiece because i didn't mention my birthday was coming up, next day i had big bunch of flowers and perfume:blush:
I only buy selection boxes for Christmas cannot afford more but i always buy for birthdays as these a spread throughout the year