PDA

View Full Version : OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE I'VE BEEN SO STUPID

ajs
03-03-2008, 11:14 AM
oh i am so cross with myself
one of my families pays me with vouchers,
i do 29 hours a week @£3.75 an hour which is £108.75 a week

as the money gets transferred into my bank each month i don't even concentrate on how much goes in, but the other day it occured to me that some months have 5 weeks in and i don't think they change the amount to take that into consideration.
and i haven't done them monthly invoices as i am too stupid to think that the months change

they paid cash until october 2007 so we're not talking about years but since november they have paid me £217.50 too little

right what do i do
it is my stupid fault not theirs
i have written them a statement with copies of the invoices to date
on the statement i have itemised their payments and what it should have been
but do you think i have any right to ask for the money,

obviously things will change and on wed i will give them an invoice for march which although they have already paid will be a little more than they have paid

fionamal
03-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Youve worked the hours so I would give them the statement and a copy of the invoices relating to it and just take it from there.

They surely know as well that they are due you more money.

sandy
03-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Oh my, what an awkward situation. No easy answer I'm sure.

You have done the work so are due the money - perhaps they could catch up in instalments, say £50 a month for 4 months .

I've done a similar thing in the past. I charged one parent for 8hr days when child was with me for 9hrs, 3 days a week. Did that for months before realising.
I just kept quiet, purely out of embaressment, and charged right fees from then on.

Hope you're braver than me and get the money you're due

Best of luck

Sandy x

Banana
03-03-2008, 11:34 AM
You should just say that it hadnt even occured to you but this is whats happened. They would know how much they were due to pay and have probably been thinking 'oh we're doing alright here, she hasnt noticed'.

It is a bit unfortunate that you didnt notice sooner but now that you have I think you need to definitly say something and apologise etc etc,, but you are still owed that money

xxx

Blaze
03-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Do what you are planning on doing...you are entittled to the money as you've worked it (& I'm pretty sure they would have realized they are under paying you)...you just may have to accept installments rather then a lump sum though!
At least you realized now rather than months down the line!!!
Tasha:)

emler
03-03-2008, 11:41 AM
I agree with everyone - you are still entitled to that money. I know it will be a bit tricky having to mention it to the parents but I'd be a bit surprised if they hadn't noticed before now!
Good luck, let us know how it goes

Emler x

angeldelight
03-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Sorry Mandy

But I think this is their fault too

Ok you have made a mistake here

But you are not telling me they were not aware of it?

I would write it all down and issue them with the bill for the outstanding amount

I would not make it out to be your fault just say "its an over sight on both our parts because you obviously did not notice either "

Good luck

Angel xx

ajs
03-03-2008, 11:48 AM
i know you're right i just have to take a deep breath and go for it

aaaarrrrgggghhhhh i hate money situations probably why it happened in the first place

i am going to give them three months invoices at a time like i do for my other toddler so this shouldn't happen again

angeldelight
03-03-2008, 11:51 AM
I hate money situations too Mandy I think we all do

But its got to be done

Just start the conversation off with something like ....... I think we both have forgot there are 5 weeks in some mths of the year
Then go on to say some mths you have only paid 4 weeks and there have been 5

If you handle it ok with out blaming them I am sure they will be ok about it

xxxx

wendywu
03-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Dont worry i am sure that you are not the first person to have done this. We have such a lot to think about. I think Angel has a good idea and say we BOTH seem to have forgotten about the 5 week months. Perhaps they can just add £50.00 a month to the bill to pay the money owed.:)

sarah707
03-03-2008, 11:57 AM
I hate money as well! Oh Mandy I do feel for you... xx

ajs
03-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Dear
Please find enclosed copies of all invoices to date and an up to date statement of payments.

I realised on Saturday that although you have paid me monthly by voucher that the system does not allow for the differing weeks in a calendar month and this has left a shortfall of £217.50 paid to me.

I have charged you full for Christmas week as there had been some changes to the care of ... in December, but having lost the hard drive of my computer, I do not have a record of them.

I am really sorry that this has happened and it will be avoided in the future by me giving you 3 months of invoices at a time so allowing you plenty of time to adjust the payments accordingly.

Obviously please feel free to discuss this with me.

what do you think
i am sitting here shaking and i am not even seeing them until wednesday

sarah707
03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Sounds fine to me - not sure what the Christmas week reference means.... :D

Hopscotch
03-03-2008, 12:18 PM
you poor thing i don't envy you
Hugs :littleangel:
Bev X

ajs
03-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Sounds fine to me - not sure what the Christmas week reference means.... :D

oh i'd said i'd deduct it as i didn't work xmas week but i did 2 extra days one week in dec but can't find the dates so i've left that charge in in place of the extra days charge if you know whay i meant

oh i'll take it out it's confusing me too if they say anything then i'll just remind them i worked extra days which they seem to have got for free

Monkey1
03-03-2008, 12:20 PM
That letter sounds great Mandy! Don't feel bad!

berkschick
03-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Good luck Mandy, I hope that you get it sorted.

G pays by voucher and I have just given Mum the invoice for March.

Mum said the vouchers dont cover it all so she will pop a cheque in G bag for the differance.

I have learnt from the M situation that I need to give each parent an invoice regardless of how they want to pay me!

ajs
03-03-2008, 12:25 PM
yes all others get invoices 3 months in advance don't know why this one didn't though, they will now

berkschick
03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Yes, I invoice everyone apart from M parents as they pay weekly by standing order but this means there is no oppertunity for me to add late collection fees on..........there is now :D

charleyfarley
03-03-2008, 12:49 PM
I hope you get this sorted, the letter looks fine to me

I hate talking money too

Carol xx

jaz
03-03-2008, 12:52 PM
hi didnt want to read and run, hope it all gets sorted out ok.

J
x

angeldelight
03-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Your letter sounds great Mandy and you are not pushing the blame onto them or blaming yourself - well done

Good luck let us know how it goes

Angel xx

miffy
03-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm sure you'll get this sorted mandy

Just wanted to wish you luck

Miffy xx

yummymummy
03-03-2008, 02:35 PM
New mindees will be paying me monthly when thay start at end of the month. Up until now I have always been paid weekly, which I prefer as not so easy to make mistakes. After reading what happened
I will be careful about 5 week months. Yikes, as if childminding isn't hard enough!:eek:
ps Don't let the money issue drop if parents have made a genuine mistake like you then they will be horrified. If they argue then I think that they were aware all along and were pulling a fast one!

LittleMissSparkles
03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
mandy I am sure they have noticed and just thought they had got one over you.....

Letter is great and yes I think you should be paid to after all you have worked for it xxx

deeb66
03-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Only just catching up with this Mandy and everyone has given loads of good advice.

Your letter is good.....I hope all goes well on Wednesday!

Karen88
03-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi all
I am new to this forum, came in to get some advice.
As we are coming up to the new financial year and looking at my accounts books and fee payments, i noticed also i have only been paid for 4 weeks on a five week month. i am due to be paid today and only be getting four week payment and this is another 5 week month.
Have to talk to parents this evening and i am not looking forward to it.
i have had their children since september 07 and this is our 3rd 5 week month. oops!
Any advice
Karen

miss muffit
08-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi The letter looks fine to me as well...good luck let us know how things go on wednesday? :)

Rubybubbles
08-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Oh Mandy, I did this in February missed a whole week of money of Jan, mum was very good and hadn't realised and paid the outstanding straight away, I too was a bag of nerves asking but it was all great!

TBH if she had pulled face I was prepared to let her go as I don;t need to work with people like that, hope it works out for you hun;)