PDA

View Full Version : No call, no show

Tatjana
06-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Mindee due at 12.30pm, late almost everyday so didn't think anything of it until 1.30pm, it's now gone 2pm and have had no call or anything.

Have decided not to text them as when I have done in the past they don't even reply:rolleyes:

I just hope she's ok.

I could have planned something with my son this afternoon if they'd bothered to tell me.

xx

Alibali
06-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Makes you cross doesn't it. Don't you have to try to contact them as part of your child protection procedure?

mushpea
06-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Thats terrible and a waste of an afternoon for you.

i used to have somone who was always late, wasnt really a problem term time but a pain in the hols as i was often going out for the day, in the end i would tell them what time we were leaving and where we were going and said that if they werent here by the time we left they would have to meet me where ever we were going, it happend a couple of times then they got the hint. maybe you could try somthing like that then they might at least be on time.

Tatjana
06-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I don't have anything about calling them if they don't turn up in my safeguarding policy...not sure how it would relate to me if they don't turn up, the child isn't in my care?

I think the lack of courtesy is down to a cultural thing.

xx

Alibali
06-11-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't have anything about calling them if they don't turn up in my safeguarding policy...not sure how it would relate to me if they don't turn up, the child isn't in my care?

I think the lack of courtesy is down to a cultural thing.

xx

We have to add it to our policy up here in Scotland. They introduced it a few years ago after the death of a child, the child had been dead for a while and no-one had followed it up even though he hadn't turned up at nursery when expected.

Tatjana
06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I've not heard of that...hope i've not missed something important?!

xx

Alibali
06-11-2009, 02:54 PM
I've not heard of that...hope i've not missed something important?!

xx

It's probably a Care Commission thing.

LittleAcorns
06-11-2009, 02:55 PM
We have to add it to our policy up here in Scotland. They introduced it a few years ago after the death of a child, the child had been dead for a while and no-one had followed it up even though he hadn't turned up at nursery when expected.

Thats very sad, what had happened to the poor child?

Daftbat
06-11-2009, 03:54 PM
I can't imagine that it can be a binding thing to have to contact people if they don't show up. What would happen at nurseries? They would be on the phone left right and centre!

Its surely not upto us to chase up parents who can't be bothered to communicate with us - we do enough chasing of money etc already:panic:

aly
06-11-2009, 04:04 PM
surely it would only concern you if the child was late/ non collected? thats when you need to ring people etc? not if they dont turn up before you have them?

sunnysmile
06-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Schools and Nurseries in Scotland also have to call for an explanation if there has been no call from parent and child is absent.

aly
06-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Schools and Nurseries in Scotland also have to call for an explanation if there has been no call from parent and child is absent.

Think it's tha same for everyone with schools as they do have to have an explanation...but we are childminders .... maybe it is the CC.

Ripeberry
06-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Our pre-school always rang up and our primary schools have made all parents sign and aggrement to ring the school by 9.30am on the first day of sickness or the school will ring up.

Alibali
06-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Thats very sad, what had happened to the poor child?

it's another one of those social work cases where there was a history of abuse, can't remember exactly but I think there was drug misuse with the parents.

There was also the case of the boy who had been dropped off at school gates and never made it to school. It was the end of the day before they noticed he was missing and he had been murdered.

I think even if it's not a requirement it would be good practice to check a child was OK if they didn't turn up when expected, I bet Ofsted would like it too!

I also have a nephew who was adopted at the age of 4 by my brother, his Mum was diabetic and collapsed. The child was alone with his dead mum for 4 days before anyone found him, the poor wee soul was trying to feed her cheese slices to bring her around:( :(

I think you should all add it to your policies just in case. At the most you'd only be making a few phone calls.

My policy is phone parents twice, if no answer try emergency contacts, if still no answer after 24 hours try their home and then if no answer contact police or social services.

TheBTeam
06-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I can definitely see why and i do check with parents if they are around 30 minutes late in arriving, however i have one family who regularly do not turn up and regularly do not let me know, it is like banging my head against a brick wall, i have done the go out and you catch me up if you can, i have done the go out and they cant then get to me bit, on more than one occasion i would have been calling social services or the police if i followed what i think is reasonable!!:eek:

I am gradually winning the war of you need to let me know etc, but they do it because sometimes they run late and have found me out as i have said i can not wait in for ages just in case!, but it has taken some time.

Pudding Girl
06-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Yep we have to have it written into our Child Protection (mine is the same as Alibali's) and quite rightly too I feel, so many children slip through the net because no-one is "keeping tabs". (alibali, that's very sad :( )

This is the girl that it was started from: Danielle Reid (http://news.scotsman.com/daniellereidmurder/Mother-dumps-murdered-girls-body.2437669.jp)
she is local
:(

Am quite shocked that it's not a legal requirement in England too actually.

aly
06-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Am quite shocked that it's not a legal requirement in England too actually.

Not in Wales either

Curly Quavers
06-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I think this must only be a recommendation in Scotland though.

I registered in June and had no mention of this in any of my induction training and the CC did not pick up on it when checking my policies.

This is the first I have heard of it.

Never mind Tatjana at least you get paid (look on the bright side) :D

Pudding Girl
06-11-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm certain it was in the guidance book the CC give you when filling out your forms to reg, sure it was in there in the required policies/procedures that you have to assemble and send off with your application form.

Tatjana
06-11-2009, 09:02 PM
At least i've not missed anything with regard to safeguarding.

Thanks everyone.

xx