PDA

View Full Version : Using camera phones

Straws
06-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi all,

My friend had her Do visit last week, and was told we can no longer use mobile phones to take pictures of children in our care, has anybody else heard this.

Straws xx

ruby
06-11-2009, 02:14 PM
no we use ours all the time

if this is true i wonder why we are not allowed

cathy

Twinkles
06-11-2009, 02:15 PM
I have heard that some childrens centres are banning them.

It makes me glad my camera is a huge one that can't be hidden or used discreetly.

Twinkles
06-11-2009, 02:16 PM
no we use ours all the time

if this is true i wonder why we are not allowed

cathy

It's because of that nursery worker who abused the children and then sent pics via her mobile.

FussyElmo
06-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Yes we were told this on our safeguarding children course that you should not use a mobile phone to take photos of the children. I have asked my do for clarification on this as we were also told not to get our photos processed at places like asda etc. We should only print them out at home.

Straws
06-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Why cant we have them printed at asda???? printing from home is much more expensive

FussyElmo
06-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Why cant we have them printed at asda???? printing from home is much more expensive

Because once you put your sd card in their machine the image stays there and any unscupluous person/worker can take the image of the machine. I said that the pictures were of them doing an activity etc so couldnt see the issue.

Nat78
06-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Personally I ask permission on consent forms to use phone camera, but only if my normal camera is not available for those unexpected moments. So far no concerns been rasied.

carebear25
06-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I've been gettin mine done at boots as you can set it 2 print 4 pictures on 1 8x4 which is ideal for my books. Should I not be doin this then x

Amaranth
06-11-2009, 02:30 PM
I use my mobile phone camera all the time because it is better than my normal camera. I had not heard of this though but I suppose thinking about it, it makes sense. :)

Just a thought that came to me............. I know not many people have them any more but what about the old style 'film' cameras? If we are not allowed to get them developed how are we going to get our pictures from them?

Straws
06-11-2009, 02:35 PM
I dont use a mobile phone anyway to take pics, but I do have photo's from my sd card developed at my local tescos and will continue to do so, not everyone has a printer. and how else are we to show evidence:mad:

Straws xx

madasahatter
06-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Good grief, the world has gone mad (madder):rolleyes: . Most of us use common sense when it comes to taking photos and having them developed and we certainly wouldn't be taking photos that could be construed as paedophilic.
Surely what ever reasons are given for the inappropriateness of using high street developers etc these same reasons also apply to parents getting their own photos developed.
I have permission to take photos of my mindees. Parents are happy for these photos (and film clips) to be taken using my mobile, camera and camcorder. I do not store photos etc on the devices for more than a few days so if I lost my mobile for example there would be at most only a few pictures. Parents often like to receive picture texts.
I will continue to take photographs by whatever means I choose as long as I have parental permission to do so.

Tired
06-11-2009, 02:39 PM
what a lot of nonsense this is.

If someone is evil enough to abuse children, I'm sure they will find a way around not being allowed to take camera phones into the children's center. (They could put it in their pocked for heavens sake!)

Its just the honest majority of us that suffer, as we stick to these rules so can't document the children's learning properly.

Alibali
06-11-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm sure we'll not be allowed to even look at the children soon!

Daftbat
06-11-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm sure we'll not be allowed to even look at the children soon!

What???? You mean you look at them now!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :laughing:

aly
06-11-2009, 04:44 PM
I use my mobile as my camera gave up the ghost and I am waiting to replace it....I use it for when mindees are doing stuff...onviuosly!

TheBTeam
06-11-2009, 05:00 PM
I do not understand what the issue is of a child playing or doing a craft activity, surely no one can find anything (not even a paedophile)in that! If you have paddling pool pictures or skimpyish dressing up costumes maybe, but a child fully dressed holding a paintbrush, whatever next!!:eek:

haribo
06-11-2009, 05:19 PM
the thing is its only the faces used to superimpose on obscene images a paedophile might have so it doesnt matter that we only have them doing innocent activities if a paedo gets hold of them .. so maybe its to protect us in case the faces are ever seen by the vice police and identified.. dont know why we cant use mobiles though its not going to protect anyone is it :panic:

Blaze
06-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Well I have it in P&P's that I use my camera & camera phone to take pics of the LO's (& it's part of my policy for settling in parents :D ) that I send them photos of their LO so they can relax IYSWIM - if you trust me to care for your LO - then you should trust me to take pics - regardless of on phone or camera phone. IMHO:)

Hebs
06-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Well I have it in P&P's that I use my camera & camera phone to take pics of the LO's (& it's part of my policy for settling in parents :D ) that I send them photos of their LO so they can relax IYSWIM - if you trust me to care for your LO - then you should trust me to take pics - regardless of on phone or camera phone. IMHO:)

:clapping: well said

AliceK
07-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Well apart from the fact that I don't own any other camera other than the one on my mobile phone, my phone is ALWAYS on me in one of those pockets that go on your belt so where ever we are or whatever we're doing I can quickly whip it out to take a quick pic if mindee is doing something for obs, parents etc. IF I had to use another camera I could not ensure that it would always be available for those suprise moments. The world has gone mad :eek: :eek:

Xxxxx

sophiestars
07-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Don't know where your DO has got that info from. I was at a training session a couple of weeks ago and my network coordinator was saying how good it was that we can use our mobiles for taking pics, and even recording sound to help with observations etc.

Banning the use of mobiles for picture taking is pointless without banning mobiles completely and they can't do that because we need them when we are out and about.

TheBTeam
07-11-2009, 10:01 PM
the thing is its only the faces used to superimpose on obscene images a paedophile might have so it doesnt matter that we only have them doing innocent activities if a paedo gets hold of them .. so maybe its to protect us in case the faces are ever seen by the vice police and identified.. dont know why we cant use mobiles though its not going to protect anyone is it :panic:

OOOH, I am so naive, i had no idea that this is what they do, not sure what the answer is in that case!

haribo
08-11-2009, 09:20 AM
im no expert , just i heard this is sometimes the case :( however i only have a mobile phone camera and its what i use for all my pics , wouldnt fancy having to take a digital camera out and about as well :panic:

Pipsqueak
10-11-2009, 09:43 PM
We got a letter given to us from our CC (when we attended drop in this morning) saying that the use of phone cameras whilst not prohibited at this moment in time - they would prefer for them not to be used within the center and it would be considered 'best practice' not to use them.

Madminder
10-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Well apart from the fact that I don't own any other camera other than the one on my mobile phone, my phone is ALWAYS on me in one of those pockets that go on your belt so where ever we are or whatever we're doing I can quickly whip it out to take a quick pic if mindee is doing something for obs, parents etc. IF I had to use another camera I could not ensure that it would always be available for those suprise moments. The world has gone mad :eek: :eek:

Xxxxx

Well said, I chose my mobile phone specifically because it had the best camera and I wanted to be able to have a camera with me at all times for evidence recording purposes when EYFS came in!

janminder
11-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Same here use my mobile quite a lot as its always with me..

babs
11-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Because once you put your sd card in their machine the image stays there and any unscupluous person/worker can take the image of the machine. I said that the pictures were of them doing an activity etc so couldnt see the issue.

when i did my safeguarding course we were also told not to use theses machines as images stay on there. when someone asked what the problem was as it was only children doin activitys he explained that people could take ur picture and edit it ie. puttin the face of your child on another body so would be safe not to use them... there are some very sick people out there so we all need to take precautions to protect ourselfs and the children we care for..

mabel
11-11-2009, 04:31 PM
we are not allowed to take mobile phones on our school site at all,
my friend is a teaching asst and the head took her mobile phone off her
(it was in her handbag) it was so old it had not even got a camara on it !

Mollymop
11-11-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm ok then as I hate using my mobile camera as it fills up memeory really quickly! I can only have about 20 pics on it at a time.:(

seems silly though, I understand the reason behind this issue, but if we are trusted to care for the children then surely we can use a camera phone. What is the difference between using a phone camera and a digi one? My digi one is no bigger than my mobile phone and anyone can send images through email to someone else, so I don't understand the difference really x

Merry-Minder
11-11-2009, 04:39 PM

I agree too - if I am meant to document my mindees development then I am going to have to use either camera or phone.

As someone else said 'if someone really wanted to they would sneak a phone in anyway' - its not like they have a consience (sp) !!!!

Also these kind of pictures can be spread just as fast via an uploaded photo from camera to internet!

Louise_Oaktree
11-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Surely then using a mobile phone camera and printing at home (love my polaroid pogo printer!) is less risky than using a digital camera and taking them to jessops etc? World has seriously gone mad :panic: .

David Sheppard
11-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Yet another case of the very,very, very small minority of sick-ohs spoiling it for the vast majority of us all. :angry: :angry: :angry: