PDA

View Full Version : University Project

Philioto
06-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Hello everybody,

I am a Product Design student at Bournemouth University, and my current project is to design a pushchair which assists in the travelling up hills.

I thought it would be a good for me to ask childminders for their opinions as i know you often have more than one child to look after, and usually of different ages, so it is highly likely you have been in a situation of having to use a pushchair, at the same time as chaperoning a child of walking age.

I would greatly appreciate any views/thoughts you have on the subject, and would love to use all your knowledge in creating a useful design.

Thankyou for your time,

Phil

suzyblue
06-11-2009, 03:42 PM
I was just thinking yesterday why cant you get a motorised double buggy!!!
Im guessing because its not legal on the pavement? thinking about safety though you could hold something on the handle that makes it go and if you stop holding it the pushchair would stop and the brake would come on. BRILLIANT EH!!!! You can get motorised bicycles so why not pushchairs????? Some of us childminders are not as young as we used to be!! If you come up with something let me know!!!

madasahatter
06-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Kindertime wants a motor on her double pushchair......
Can I have power-steering too? :laughing:

Seriously single pushchairs are usually fine on hills, even with a heavy/large preschooler, but double pushchairs are a different kettle of fish especially if you've 2 large children in them. It's not only going uphill, most do not have brakes (except to keep them stationary) which means going downhill can literally be a bit of a drag.

So.....small lightweight motor that can boost your pushing power on uphills (it can't be heavy as it would affect your pushing power on the flats too), easy steering and a braking system (maybe like a bike) for the inevitable downhills

Philioto
08-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Thankyou for your responses, very helpful, i will include them in my work straight away!
I will let you know how things progress, hopefully i will end up with some specific questions you can get your teeth into!
Please feel free to post any other comments people have, anything and everything at this stage is very useful.
Thanks.