PDA

View Full Version : not doing school run

moogster1a
05-11-2009, 12:52 PM
On another thread someone mentioned that she no longer does school or nursery runs. I was just wondering how this works in practise . Surely the parent doesn't leave work to pick the child up from school and take him to cm's? Just wondering 'cos I know for my parents I'd be useless to them if I didn't do the school run

Minstrel
05-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I guess they just dont take on children who require to be taken to nursery/school- Just sticking to the under 5's

katickles
05-11-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't do school runs.

I have just commented on the other thread about it too.

For myself my reasons we're due to the fact I had just had my 2nd child. I felt it was impractical to get my 2 children - newborn & 2yr old, my mindee who was 1 & not walking - to & from school to pick up the 1 child I collected.

Yes I have the double buggy so the 2 smaller children would be warm & dry - but for myself & my 2yr old & the after schooler - we'd be getting constantly drenched. We could have gone in the car but again, it usually took longer!

I choose not to do a before school - as again with my own 2 children & mindee, I felt my children suffered just so I could offer this service.

So basically for me - it just doesn't work. I feel by not doing them I can spend more quality time with the children.

Not that other minders don't BTW - its just what works better for me:blush:

little chickee
05-11-2009, 01:58 PM
i don't take on school age kids - i just stick to under 5's.

allinatiz
05-11-2009, 02:36 PM
I currently do a nursery and school run. I'm thinking about stopping the school run, which takes 30 minutes there and back on a good day ;) , when my current mindees leave, which could actually take years tbh lol! I hate it in this weather, not for myself but for the little ones who are walking and get drenched.

FussyElmo
05-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Have no choice about the school run - dont think my own children would be too impressed if I left them there hpwever tempting that might be :laughing:

ChocolateChip
05-11-2009, 02:54 PM
I currently have 5 schoolies, who come on various mornings and afternoons so between them I always have at least 2 per session, as I take my own anyway and I am lucky to have one of my under 5 spaces filled by someone who comes in between the school day this works very well at the moment.
BUT.... I would love to be in a position in a couple of years time (when my youngest is full time at school) to just have 3 lo's full time and not have to do the schoolies. Don't get me wrong, the kids are lovely, I am just finding it all a bit hectic at the minute and I can see why some don't do it!

Chatterbox Childcare
05-11-2009, 05:45 PM
I do a morning and afternoon school run and I make more doing these than working during the day so I couldn't not do it.

For those who are struggling maybe look at an assistant as it does pay, especially if you do a session rate rather than an hour rate for these times

Dragonfly
05-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Ive never thought of not doing them! just got on with it.

Chimps Childminding
05-11-2009, 07:22 PM
I currently do a nursery run (morning drop off and lunch time collection, but it is on my quietest day). But don't do school runs. Having said that there is a bus stop literally at the bottom of my garden and the bus goes straight to school (1 1/2 miles away) and at night the teachers put the children on the bus at the school gate and I collect from the bus stop. If June and I only have a few children between us one of us will collect from the bus stop and the other will stay with the lo's (obviously only if we are still within numbers :thumbsup: ) So far all parents seem happy with that!

Pudding Girl
05-11-2009, 07:36 PM
i don't take on school age kids - i just stick to under 5's.

Me too - although I do have a school aged one in p1 atm, but she is dropped to me by taxi as school is other side of town.
In Scotland we are so limited in spaces, we can't have as many over 8s as we like for instance, I am registered for 4 and 4 only, the maximum I've known up here is 6 - and that is in total, upto the age of 12 (or 16 depending when you got regged as it changed!) I can't afford to have an under 5s space taken by a school aged child as I only have 3 spaces for that.

Plus I don't wish to be out several times a day collecting and dropping off! I don't mind running up to the playschool/nursery but that's all.