PDA

View Full Version : Just hadf a call :(

Daddy Day Care
05-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Had a call 30 minutes ago from a childminder friend, saying she was just about to pass my number on to someone who was looking for a childminder who could do the school my daughter goes to.

She said that the lady was gonig to phone me in a few minutes, I was so excited I was almost jumping up and down lol.

Soon got delfated, tho, and the more the conversation went on the more delfated I got.

First of all, she wnate dot know if I had NVQ level 3 which I dont,

Then she wanted to know if I had any other childcare qulaifactions I dont

Then she asked what experience I had looking after other peoples children I dont

The she said she didnt actually know if her son was going my daughters school yet, hes down for three and shes look at finding a childminder form each of the schools.

The she said she wont find out till april but she will be in contact then

Oh and I didnt answer i dont to her of course I told her about my own children, the gorups i go and experiences with other children and course id been on and plan on going, think I went on a bit much actually

so now im in need of hugs, from excitment to bitter dissapointment in seconds. :( :( :(

Gareth
xx

Polly2
05-11-2009, 12:42 PM
oh :group hug: :group hug: thats disapointing Gareth :(

At least people are passing your number round though thats encouraging.

Don't be too sad xxxx

little miss chatterbox
05-11-2009, 12:44 PM
awwwwww poor you sending lots and lots and lots of virtua hugs.

What a horrible phone call to have.

I'm sure if she meets you she will love you. Chin up and I hope you get lots of positive calls soon

Blackhorse
05-11-2009, 12:44 PM
sending a big hug!!

I know how you feel..it is soo hard at the start and it took me months to get my first mindee.
each call you get your hops up...then they get shattered to the grounds again...and that over and over until finally all works out ....

I had people come for visits as well..they said they would call me back and I never heard anything more off them....and you sit on needles for ages and your heart jumps every time the phone goes!!

So I know how you feel Gareth, but hang in there !!

IT WILL GET BETTER!!!!

:group hug: :group hug: :group hug:

FussyElmo
05-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Ok Gareth sending big hugs.

If someone asks you about the nvq again say that as soon as you are minding you will be starting it as you cant do with some children in your setting and you cant use your own.

As for experience you are a dad of 3 what more do you need.

Its a hard time for a lot of us at the moment the phone isn't ringing. Write down a list of positives and keep it by the phone why they should choose you. You offer a home from setting. Go for the male influence it is a good selling point.

Dont get too disheartened:group hug:

angeldelight
05-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Gareth welcome to the world of childminding

The ups and downs - the joys and tears it happens to us all at some point

I know what you mean about being excited and then your hopes dashed its soooooo annoying and you do feel deflated

Its great though that you have been mentioned to someone and its no reflection on you at all - she is obviously just looking around at the moment

Next time tell them to come and meet you so you can answer all their questions in person

April is a long time to hand on for someone anyway

Sending lots and lots of good luck vibes

Angel xxx

Twinkles
05-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Aw hun :(

http://i.mynicespace.com/40/4033.gif (http://www.mynicespace.com/hugs-4033.html)

Sorry to be a bit 'Pollyanna' about it but at least you have other minders passing on your details. It's so hard to get started.

RedDragon
05-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Gareth, have sent you an email.

The Juggler
05-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Oh, Gareth, that's awful. She didn't sound like someone you'd want anyhow. Plus, you wouldn't want to keep a place open until April, when someone might call you tomorrow to start straight away (and it sounds like she's not going to pick a childminder until she finds out about the school).

It's great that other CM's are passing on your number. Did you wife do antenatal groups this time. If she did and is keeping in touch, make sure you get involved, you never know they might be after a childminder if they are going back to work in the near future!?

ps what did you have, what is he/she called, how big, how is it going? I know you've probably pm'd your close forum friends but I want details too:crying:

katickles
05-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Keep your chin up - a much better suited family will call soon :D

Daftbat
05-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi Gareth,

I find it strange that a parent would ask if a childminder has an NVQ3!!!! I have never been asked - the other question is far more sensible about looking after other peoples children but don't forget your skills as a parent yourself if someone asks. When i started minding i openly told customers that although i had only just started minding i had been a parent for 6 years and was pretty experienced!

Parents are pretty feeble at times when they ask about minding - i was really pleased yesterday that a lady who came to see me actually READ my oftsed report, AND my CRB, AND my first aid certificate AND had read my policies in full overnight and come back to me today asking to start work. This is the first time it has happened in 10 years! So for someone to ask about NVQ3 is wierd:eek: (in my opinion).

Keep your chin up - i think that once you have one child signed up you will find it gets much easier as you are able to show people what you can do - good luck and :group hug:

haribo
05-11-2009, 01:53 PM
aw gareth (((((hug)))) i agree with juggler she doesnt sound like a parent you would want . ive had picky ones before and at the interview stage thought god you fussy thing, and it doesnt get better , theres always something they find to pick at and it gets you down . one day you will just gel with someone and be just what they want :thumbsup: xx

Daddy Day Care
05-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Thank you ladies for your messages and hugs,

Juggler - nooo i didnt just pm my "close friends" in fact didnt pm anyone unless they pm'ed me, it was announced on here by a couple of members who saw what i had put on facebook from my phone at the hospital. Bobby Chester Law was born 19/10/09 weighing 9lb 14 1/2oz, hes doing fantastic, really good at night. Angel posted some pics for me here

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=44200

The childminder who paassed my details on has an NVQ level 3, I dont know if that was mentioned in there conversation, that could be why she brought it up, it was the first thing she asked lol.

Trying to keep my chin up, hard at the moment due to lack of money and christmas comming up, but we'll get there :) daughters 5th birthday 13 dec, luckily weve just finsihed buying her pressies and theyve just been wrapped up so thats out the way.

Dragon thanks for the e-mail, cnat remmy what account I used to sign up here with so may take me a few mins to find it lol

Angel - ups and downs????? only experienced downs so far (twinks get that violin out for me)

gotta cut this short, boby doesnt understnad im busy on here and he wants feeding :panic: lol

thanks asgain ladies, dunno what id do without yas

gareth
xx

ORKSIE
05-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Gareth just wanna send you a Mahoosive Hug.

Wish I could pass on numbers to you, but I live nowhere near you (Thank God for that I hear you cry)
:group hug:

The Juggler
05-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Thank you ladies for your messages and hugs,

Juggler - nooo i didnt just pm my "close friends" in fact didnt pm anyone unless they pm'ed me, it was announced on here by a couple of members who saw what i had put on facebook from my phone at the hospital. Bobby Chester Law was born 19/10/09 weighing 9lb 14 1/2oz, hes doing fantastic, really good at night. Angel posted some pics for me here

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=44200

xx

aaagh, can't believe I missed these - i kept checking to see if anything in green members or in photos but I am clearly not a very good detective! Then I missed the photos because I didn't know his name - god how do I get through the day - duh! he' s gorgeous and big boy too.

Enjoy your little bundle for now and work will come soon. everything crossed for you.

x

Cazz
05-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit down again Gareth.

I have to agree she sounded like someone who would probably give you lots of trouble anyway. At least the other childminders are passing your details on - I've had a couple of calls this way.

Sending you big ((((hugs)))) and don't be down for too long - I like your sense of humour!!

miffy
05-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Don't be too disappointed Gareth, I don't think you've missed anything - I'm sure she won't get 3 childminders to hold spaces for her whilst she decides which school her ds is going to :rolleyes:

Treat yourself to a twirl on Twinks sexy thread - she won't mind :D

Miffy xx

pinklady
05-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Don't feel down over one phone call, she shouldn't judge you without meeting you and it takes more than qualifications to make a good childminder. I've had some enquiries that have come round and for some reason we haven't 'clicked' or they're asking for schools pick ups and days that you can't do, sometimes it's just not meant to be.

Just put it down to experience and I'm sure you'll have mindees really soon :thumbsup:

Twinkles
05-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Treat yourself to a twirl on Twinks sexy thread - she won't mind :D

Miffy xx

:eek: :eek: She will ya know :p

Oh ! go on then just five minutes mind don't want you wearing yourself out.

TheBTeam
05-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Sending you big hugs.

helenlc
06-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Sending big hugs.

I know it doesnt help but we have all had these calls.

I would suggest as others have about keeping a "script" as it were next to the phone. Have prompts on there to the most common questions ie your experience, your intention to do the NVQ once you have children in your setting as you cannot do it without etc.

Have you helped out before at your childrens school/pre-school? Even if you have only done a couple of days/trips, these parents wont know this!! Tell them that you are a regular helper at your child's school/pre-school. How you regularly attend toddler groups - and assist there as needed.

Take it as a positive that your number was passed on and that someone DID call!! It sounds like she was rather vague with her plans in regards to knowing what school and whether she would end up at your daughters school anyway.

:group hug: