PDA

View Full Version : the impact of a screamer

Polly2
05-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I am amazed at how much of an effect a screaming child has on the other children. I shouldn't be really but there you go!

She came this morning and has screamed for an hour and a half. She has just fallen asleep phewwwww!

During the morning the other 2 mindees have argued over everything, cryed whinged at me not been happy to play or eat or do anything. They have all been asking for their mum and competing for my attentions.

Now she is sleeping they are playing nicely and I can have a cuppa and breathe :rolleyes:

Flippin eck our job is hard at times :panic:

suzyblue
05-11-2009, 10:51 AM
It makes a bad atmosphere and effects everyone (probably your neighbour too!)

grindal
05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Is the screamer new to you? My first mindee was a bit of a screamer until she settled. It was horrible and really affected my DS1 who walked off in the middle of the high street while I was dealing with her because he could not deal with her. Hope she settles soon.

Helen79
05-11-2009, 12:30 PM
I've had the baby screaming all morning. Poor ds has been tugging at my jeans all morning trying to get a cuddle. He eventually fell asleep on the sofa by himself, I felt awful that I couldn't give him a cuddle when he really needed it, he'd walked the mile home this morning, he's only 20months & was so tired bless him.

Polly2
05-11-2009, 12:34 PM
She has been with me for a month now. She is doing one day a week til Jan then up to 2 days as mum is going back to work.

I am so fed up with it today - I wish we had started 2 days - I always think they settle better with 2 sessions a week.

Mum says she won't go to anyone so I know its not just me and mum is lovely and wants me to try and push through this stage. Which I will - but her cry is juat sooooo piercing it goes through me!

:(

Polly2
05-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Oh Gosh Helen I know how you feel - its bad isn't it. Hope mindee settles for you soon xxx

miss mopple
05-11-2009, 12:52 PM
One of mine screamed solidly from 7.30am til 6pm for 3-4 months and it was so hard on everybody :(

BUT

things improved eventually and now on the whole he's a happy chappy and all the kids love him :clapping:

So hang in there if you can as there is light at the end of the tunnel (and its not a train :laughing: )

Polly2
05-11-2009, 02:12 PM
One of mine screamed solidly from 7.30am til 6pm for 3-4 months and it was so hard on everybody :(

BUT

things improved eventually and now on the whole he's a happy chappy and all the kids love him :clapping:

So hang in there if you can as there is light at the end of the tunnel (and its not a train :laughing: )

She has just gone an I feel like I have been run over by one (a train that is!) :laughing:

Its nice to know we are not alone :thumbsup:

mumx3
05-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Know it well! Poor you. I have just swapped one screamer for another it seems.

I had a baby here for 2 months before dad got made redundant and she was always on the edge of tears unless she was eating or sleeping. SHe left last week and this week I have a newbie who is settling in who is permenantly crying or on the edge of crying.

My 17 month old DS acts up when the mindee is crying. He is trying to get his attention too. My DS has also worked out how to "start off" the newbie. He does this shrill squeak like a high note in an opera, and then looks at newbie mindee who immediately starts crying. The squeak is totally controlled and on purpose. I just hope newbie mindee stops reacting and then my 17 month old will hopefully stop doing it. I tell him no sternly but it makes no difference at this age.

Your not alone! Good luck and keep going.

AnnieM
05-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Can't really comment as I have never had a screamer, but you have my sympathy, just wanted to ask about the dog in your avatar, is it a cocker?

sarah707
05-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I nearly lost 2 older mindees because they were moaning so much at home about a screamer...

Luckily he stopped! :D

Minstrel
05-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I have a screamer at the weekends (10 hr days) and a few nights ago my ds1 (age 5) wrote me a little note which i wasnt aloud to read until he'd gone to bed.

It said ' To Mummy, I love you but why does J have to come to our house?'

I've since given notice! I hadnt realised what an impact it had made on him and his note brought it home like a tornado.

charliegee
05-11-2009, 09:05 PM
I have a screamer at the weekends (10 hr days) and a few nights ago my ds1 (age 5) wrote me a little note which i wasnt aloud to read until he'd gone to bed.

I've since given notice! I hadnt realised what an impact it had made on him and his note brought it home like a tornado.

aww bless!!! sending you a big hug! x

Polly2
06-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Can't really comment as I have never had a screamer, but you have my sympathy, just wanted to ask about the dog in your avatar, is it a cocker?

Yes she is mine. She is a blue roan cocker spaniel and is loopy :D She stinks at the moment as she jumped in the canal last night!

Polly2
06-11-2009, 03:43 PM

Ahhh poor thing xxx thats what I mean - the lo I care for was sooooo clingy today even though the screamer doesn't come on fridays she was still affected today. I do hope baby settles soon :o

Maguiresmonkeys
06-11-2009, 09:58 PM
I have a screamer :( Its such hard work, X has been here for two months now- 1 and a half days each week.I just keep thinking 'X will settle next week' and keeping fingers crossed. my dd always craves attention and is clingy when mindee is here and I always feel so guilty that im not giving her the time she needs too. It makes me feel like such a failure :(

Polly2
07-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Oh no you are not a failure - please don't think that...its just hard isn't it. Don't forget we are all here to support each other :)