PDA

View Full Version : 18 month old twins who bring every toy out

terrydoo73
04-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I have twin boys 3 days a week, they are 18 months old. I have a playroom with the Argos system of cubby holes and boxes in each. All the boxes have laminated pictures on the outside of the boxes to show what is in each. Problem is they have access to about 12 boxes that they can reach easily as well as prams, buggies, block trolley, small kitchen and keyboard. When they come everything and I mean everything comes out - it is like they go to each box and just empty it, maybe look at it or try putting it in their mouth and then move on to the next box. Then when everything is on the floor they start climbing into the cubby holes to get higher boxes or they climb over the sofas and sometimes into the fireplace.

My question is - how do I stop them doing this - it is not that I am a tidy freak but rather I do not see what they are playing with for any real length of time. I want them to enjoy the toys but is it right to still be doing his at their age? I do try and play with them but they just walk away to another room or box.

My hubby says I should just let it be even though the room is a mess and they end up breaking half the toys with walking over them or chucking them about. I usually can only stick it for so long before I run around like something possessed and put it all back in the boxes.

The Juggler
04-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Even with my very young children, if they get out a puzzle and tip it on the floor and walk away I will ask have you finished and then say 'let's tidy it up' and will put it away, encouraging them to help. You're not taking it away but puzzles especially cause tripping/sliding hazards and they can access it again any time.

It's never to young to teach them to care for the environment. If they tip all the puzzles, tell them they can't have the next one until the other is put away because there is no room. Maybe I'm very harsh though:blush:

Chatterbox Childcare
04-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I think you need to stay with them and show them that they have to tidy away before getting more out.

tinynippers
04-11-2009, 01:35 PM
I have twin boys 3 days a week, they are 18 months old. I have a playroom with the Argos system of cubby holes and boxes in each. All the boxes have laminated pictures on the outside of the boxes to show what is in each. Problem is they have access to about 12 boxes that they can reach easily as well as prams, buggies, block trolley, small kitchen and keyboard. When they come everything and I mean everything comes out - it is like they go to each box and just empty it, maybe look at it or try putting it in their mouth and then move on to the next box. Then when everything is on the floor they start climbing into the cubby holes to get higher boxes or they climb over the sofas and sometimes into the fireplace.

My question is - how do I stop them doing this - it is not that I am a tidy freak but rather I do not see what they are playing with for any real length of time. I want them to enjoy the toys but is it right to still be doing his at their age? I do try and play with them but they just walk away to another room or box.

My hubby says I should just let it be even though the room is a mess and they end up breaking half the toys with walking over them or chucking them about. I usually can only stick it for so long before I run around like something possessed and put it all back in the boxes.

my 18 month old is exactly the same. my 3 year old bles her tries showing him you have to put stuff away before getting another out & he just laughs at her.

helenlc
04-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I have an 18 month old mindee who is exactly the same. She will pull something out, look at it and 9 times out of 10 just throw it on the floor. I go over to her and say to her If you have finished with it, put it back. Sometimes I have to hold her by the hand, tell her to pick something up then walk her back to the place where it came from. She does well at tidying the books when I tell her to.

I dont mind them having a few things out if they are playing with them. But when they are just getting things out and discarding them straightaway, then that bugs me. Hence encouraging them to tidy up.

I have the Ikea Tofast system of boxes which they have access to. I was thinking of getting the lids that go with them so they cannot just reach into every box so easily - but my boxes are all spilling over so the lid wouldnt fit anyway!!:laughing:

terrydoo73
04-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Oh I am so relieved that it is not just me that hates this situation - hubby thinks I am being fussy. I guess by them seeing me putting toys away it will teach them but what I really hate is I have a 4 year old mindee who stands and watches me doing this day in and day out and despite asking her to help she turns around and says "but I didn't bring the toys out". I have to keep saying "I didn't bring the toys out but I would like you to be able to find them the next time you want to play with them so if you help me you will see where to get them." Cheeky I know but it reinforces to them that we all have to do our bit so that we can find them again! I will try the tidy up song a bit more too - they all love Barney so might get it downloaded and start using it more!

mama2three
04-11-2009, 04:14 PM
My boxes are in ds3s bedroom and i bring a few down each day , taking into account who ive got etc. ive also got a choice board with pictures they can see and ask for or point to if a bit littler.
I would maybe take a few of the boxes away for a while and gradually re-introduce them. this might also renew the 4year olds interest in them.
My 3 year old mindee used to collect everything and pile it up in the corner , or put it in bags - which drove me mad as no child could play with (eg) the dolls house as all the furniture had been ' collected' .I also spent hours sorting it all back into the right places. Eventually i recognised the schema and provided other ways for her to play which fitted with this and that really helped. maybe the twins would benefit from something they could build and knock down , it might just be the tipping and noise they like!

Blaze
04-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I have a one tub rule - they are all allowed one tub out at a time - if they are finished with the tub they have out they have to put it back before they can get another out. (obviously I help).:)

suzyblue
04-11-2009, 04:30 PM
I had a similar situation with two boys. I got rid of that storage system and had built in storage with doors put on. The toys are a little more controllable and we have time to tidy up before they get more things out. I know the toys need to be accessible but its just not practical sometimes.

Playmate
04-11-2009, 04:38 PM
I have an 18mth and 2 2year olds who all do this, it is normal for that age, but can be frustrating when you have several children all trying to play with different things. We stop about every 30 -40 mins to tidy up and then we start again :clapping: