PDA

View Full Version : Watching each others mindees at nursery?

Alibali
03-11-2009, 09:08 PM
What do you think of this?

2 childminders collect from a nursery, the nursery is awkward to get in to, it's off a main road, upstairs and you are not allowed to take prams in.

Anyway they had an arrangement, agreed with parents that they would watch each others mindees in their cars while the other collected from nursery.

A local private nursery had seen this happen and reported them.

Complaint was upheld, morale of the story? Walls have eyes and ears, people are watching us at all times and only too happy to cause trouble.

venus89
03-11-2009, 09:10 PM
But it does go against the rules, doesn't it? Otherwise we could - with permission - dump the kids on other childminders whenever we felt like it.

miffy
03-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Oh great! There are some mindless petty people out there!

Was it another nursery that reported them or the one that they were collecting from?

Miffy xx

Alibali
03-11-2009, 09:14 PM
But it does go against the rules, doesn't it? Otherwise we could - with permission - dump the kids on other childminders whenever we felt like it.

Oh absolutely, I'm not condoning it, I'm just pointing out that we are on show everywhere, so must be seen to be working professionally at all times.

Alibali
03-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Oh great! There are some mindless petty people out there!

Was it another nursery that reported them or the one that they were collecting from?

Miffy xx

Another nursery! A private one, the one they collect from is a school nursery.

Daftbat
03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I think this is awful. if the nursery had a legitimate concern they should have spoken to the minders involved first rather than make a complaint straight off. In so many circumstances a bit of communication would go a long way in making life better for people.

I used to collect from a nursery which had a really narrow doorway and i couldn't get the double buggy through the doors. I couldn't carry two small children and collect a third - impossible so i would ask either another childminder who was there most days, or a good friend whose son attended the nursery to watch the children for me whilst i went in to collect. I also did the same in return for other mums and the other childminder.

I see no issue if the parents are happy and aware of what is happening. Sometimes we have to operate in the real world rather than this ideal world which some people think we live in.

Twinkles
03-11-2009, 09:35 PM
I see no issue if the parents are happy and aware of what is happening. Sometimes we have to operate in the real world rather than this ideal world which some people think we live in.

I agree , as long as the children were being safely looked after by crb checked people what is the problem ?

The Juggler
03-11-2009, 09:39 PM

I agree if the parents are happy with this arrangement for a few minutes each day as long as permission is agreed. Otherwise, CM's may be in the position of not taking on children they can't take to nurseries with doorways that don't easily fit buggies through or where you're not allowed to take buggies in.

I agree we shouldn't dump kids for convenience sake i.e. leaving playgroups to fetch children from nursery and popping back or getting someone else to collect in the rain but just for this!:eek: and it is scary who is watching all the time. In fact, though if you're going by the book shouldn't matter who is watching. These two did go by the book didn't they so why was complaint upheld???:panic:

venus89
03-11-2009, 09:45 PM
But isn't it good that people are watching what we do? You hear awful stories about what some childminders do sometimes. The more people watching us and seeing that what we do is good, the better. And yes, the nursery should of course have talked to the parents first and/or the childminders concerned but I'd rather people did watch and did care - then children in poor quality care are more likely to be noticed.

Pudding Girl
03-11-2009, 09:52 PM
CC been out and upheld complaint, morale of the story? Walls have eyes and ears, people are watching us at all times and only too happy to cause trouble.

Only too true :angry:

solly
03-11-2009, 10:08 PM
After what I have been through with Ofsted complaint I now am very aware of people watching me probably to much now.
I spoke to Ofsted about helping each other out whilst taking/picking up from nursery & playschool and mrs Ofsted said there was not a problem as long as it is with another minder and the parent was aware as they fully understand the difficulty in getting into these places with 3 under 5.

I do this daily at school with another minder when we do the school run as i usually have 2 or 3 littleones and so does my friend and it makes life so much easier when you have only got a small cloakroom and have got to get older children into school.

I wish sometimes people would keep their nose out or speak to whoever concerned before making complaints

TheBTeam
03-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I know of minders who regularly watch children in cars/playgrounds while their minder goes in a collects children for both of them, the parents know about this and I do not believe it to be a problem.

Curly Quavers
03-11-2009, 10:12 PM
I wish sometimes people would keep their nose out or speak to whoever concerned before making complaints

I agree 100%

youarewhatyoueat
03-11-2009, 10:20 PM
But what happened if one of the minders children wasn't at nursery because they were poorly how did they manage then, what if one of the minders was off work themselves. If they couldn't manage the pick up they shouldn't have taken the children on.
If the nursery didn't allow buggies into the building then they should bring the children to the minders/parents. What about mums with double buggies etc.
I agree that on face value leaving the children in each others care is ok but you should be able to cope if you are alone or have to pick up early and not rely on another minder to help. But if another minder happens to be there and the parents agree then Thats fine.

youarewhatyoueat
03-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I know of minders who regularly watch children in cars/playgrounds while their minder goes in a collects children for both of them, the parents know about this and I do not believe it to be a problem.

I think this is fine, but you should still be able to do the pick up alone if the other minder happens to be ill.

TheBTeam
03-11-2009, 10:22 PM
But what happened if one of the minders children wasn't at nursery because they were poorly how did they manage then, what if one of the minders was off work themselves. If they couldn't manage the pick up they shouldn't have taken the children on.
If the nursery didn't allow buggies into the building then they should bring the children to the minders/parents. What about mums with double buggies etc.
I agree that on face value leaving the children in each others care is ok but you should be able to cope if you are alone or have to pick up early and not rely on another minder to help. But if another minder happens to be there and the parents agree then Thats fine.

Yes in the case i mentioned all minders involved are quite happy to do their own bit on their own, it is simply a useful tool if they are there together and especially as most of the mornings we are together and so the plan is well set out and a regular thing.

wendywu
04-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Its a really petty minded world we live in now.:panic:

Minders have been helping each other out for years. My parents love the fact that i have such a strong support group of other minders who they and the children know really well. :)

PixiePetal
04-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Its a really petty minded world we live in now.:panic:

Minders have been helping each other out for years. My parents love the fact that i have such a strong support group of other minders who they and the children know really well. :)

Same with my families, my CM friends and I take each others children on in the case of our own odd days off if we have spaces. We all naturally look out for each others children and get to go to the loo alone at toddler groups.

My DS used to go to a playgroup up some steps, I could see the buggy from the top. I used to ring the bell if I was alone and early and the staff would bring him to me. If other minders were there we watched each others children - all ok with parents. Mind you this was 10 years ago and people are much quicker to jump to conclusions these days and report before asking.

The Juggler
04-11-2009, 01:42 PM

I totally agree that you should be able to cope alone too, but sometimes the time of taking other lo's out of the buggy and loading them back in versus popping in quicky if you have a responsible CM you know there is much easier. I would not do it with a CM I did not trust.

terrydoo73
05-11-2009, 12:07 PM
This is a problem I faced - I have 3 children under 5 on 3 days a week and my 4th mindee was starting to go to nursery. My certificate states that I should not leave my children in the car unattended at any time. My hubby is my assistant and he is actually not insured on his own with the children - he is covered when he is with me and the children.

I took the decision to tell parents that I would not be doing nursery or school runs. My reasons were the stress involved with getting children into and out of the car each time I did a run, the nursery did not allow other mindees to come into the nursery with me and it was 6 miles away - taking a full 3/4 hour of my day with journeying back and forth. I don't know about you all but I find if I have young children they nod off in the car very easily on a long run so I thought this is not a good system as you could never get them into a routine. Lastly it means I cannot actually go to any toddler group as the nursery finishes at 11.15 am so whether I collected them or waited for them to come home to me meant that it was not worth my while to take the rest of the mindees to a group.

I did do a nursery run when I started childminding - more fool me - some days I went and the parent forgot to tell me the child was not coming to me that day!

I know it sounds cruel not doing nursery and school runs but personally I find it means I can get a good routine in the house and children do enjoy their nap times etc. I would love parents to tell me before they apply for nursery settings where and when they will be going so that I can explain my position - this particular parent felt I was being very awkward but when I put it all down on paper she started to understand why I stated this. The only problem I now am facing is come next September the child who is at nursery now will be going to school with a 2.00 pm finish, the second child will be going to nursery (8.45 to 11.15 am) - I am definately sticking to my guns of not doing any runs as it will mean I never actually get to be in my own house for a long period of time in the day.

katickles
05-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I took the decision to tell parents that I would not be doing nursery or school runs.

I also no longer do any school runs.

I was doing so before I had my 2nd child - but thought that having a newborn, a 1yr old & a 2yr old to get to & from school to pick up 1 child was just not worth it. Especially this time of year - the 2 smaller ones would be fair enough, very nice dry & warm, but myself, my 2yr old & mindee would be drenched :(