PDA

View Full Version : Conjunctivitis - do you exclude?

Ritaroo
03-11-2009, 05:48 PM
I am looking after one child at the moment who is a 10 month old baby who has a cough/cold and has developed conjunctivtis. Now my two DS both had a cough last week which we may have passed to the baby. They had no temps so I told the mum but didn't say I couldn't mind.

Now I am feeling rather guilty as we may have given the cold to him but I am now worried my 2 will get conjunctivtis from him and be excluded from school and pre school. Would you exclude him? I have looked on NHS direct and it now says children should not be excluded for infectious conjuctivitis.

What would you do?

Curly Quavers
03-11-2009, 05:52 PM
I would exclude but only until parents have started treatment. This is the policy for my dd playgroup so I do the same.

nannymcflea
03-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I would exclude but only until parents have started treatment. This is the policy for my dd playgroup so I do the same.

Yep,exclude until treatment has started. Keep everything near baby washed well,use separate towels,flannels etc and make sure other kids are washing hands frequently.

Blaze
03-11-2009, 06:00 PM
I exclude - my setting - my rules!

miffy
03-11-2009, 06:02 PM
I would exclude too until it was better - doesn't take long once it's being treated - it's so nasty and so easy to pass around.

Miffy xx

balloon
03-11-2009, 08:30 PM
I exclude too.

(I can't afford to get it as I'm allergic to the antibiotics to treat it, last time ended up at eye hospital because of it so will not take unnecessary risks)

mummyroysof3
03-11-2009, 09:26 PM
my daughter has it and our local childrens centre said she couldnt go to stay and play for 3 days after starting treatment

charlotte x

ORKSIE
03-11-2009, 09:34 PM
It is not an exclusion, but I would not allow a child in my setting unless I knew it was being treated, it spreads like "Wild Fire"

tashaleee
03-11-2009, 09:59 PM
I exclude and I have a policy for this. At 10 months there is no possible way to stop cross contamination (only takes a second to touch their face and a toy and the next child touches it and everyone gets it!)

Im also allergic to the antibiotics to treat it - and I wear contacts - the last time I caught it cost me over £400 in consultants fees and 8 months of my life to get back to 'normal'. My parents all know this is my personal 'bug bear' and my policy even states I would end a contract if parents tried to hide it from me. Sorry rant over :blush:

Sarahbelle
04-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I exclude! I had a child with conjunctivitis and the doctor told mum he didn't need to be excluded after he had had treatment for 24 hours. Guess what, I caught conjunctivitis from him, my eye swelled shut and I had to close my business for 3 days because I couldn't see to drive.

Now, regardless of what the doctor says to parents, I exclude until their eyes are clear. My setting, my rules!

Minstrel
04-11-2009, 06:45 PM
I agree!

This is something my own children find very difficult to fight (i guess we all have something!).

When they were 3yrs 2mths and just 7mths they caught conjunctivitis and ended up having it for 4 MONTHS!! No drops touched it (seemed to be immune or something) and i was exhausted with cleaning their eyes and putting drops in. They have had in twice since and still took around two weeks to clear each time.

So theres no way i would put my children through that if i can prevent it.

little chickee
04-11-2009, 08:49 PM
For conjuntivitus i would not exclude - my tip is to bathe eye 3-4 times a day with strong cold tea - works a treat.

Jelly Baby
05-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi one of my mindees has had it for the last 2 days and i have not excluded as she has been on the drops and has seemed fine, plus i only have her. This morning however her mum has been on the phone in hysterics as the LO cannot see..her eyes are all glazed over and she is crying lots saying she can't see..is this normal or not as she is really worried..i have told her not to wait for the doc as they say they will be with her at 12ish but to take her down if she is in distress..just wish i could do something..
Thanks