PDA

View Full Version : house rules?

Hebs
03-11-2009, 03:09 PM
last thursday i sat my big mindees down at the table to make a list of house rules,

they did a fantastic job but alot of them start with NO

NO bad language
NO fighting
NO name calling

etc

i am very proud of the job they did but if Ofsted were to visit for some reason would they frown at it cos some of its negative?? or would they see that the kids have done it themselves AS A TEAM and be OK with it??

is it ok to have it up?

parents think it's great :clapping: :D

Bushpig
03-11-2009, 03:30 PM
I see what you mean and think it's great as they've written it as a team, but am aware what Offie might think too :rolleyes:

Why not reword it a little so there is a more positive slant to the poster?

Talk nicely to one another
Treat eachother with respect..

Hebs
03-11-2009, 03:37 PM
I see what you mean and think it's great as they've written it as a team, but am aware what Offie might think too :rolleyes:

Why not reword it a little so there is a more positive slant to the poster?

Talk nicely to one another
Treat eachother with respect..

its already up on my door and i dont want to say to them, you have to change it cos xxx

cos they have made a POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION and for me to turn round and say do it again might make them feel like it wasn't good enough

see what i mean??? :panic:

Bushpig
03-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Yes I do! :thumbsup:

Andrea08
03-11-2009, 04:28 PM
oh i would be proud of them and i realy dont think ofsted will mind that its all NO NO NO..

but if you did want to add to the work why not say "you all did such a good job ive decided it would be good to do 2 more posters,,, one for all the DO's n one for all the Don't's add pictures such as sit nice at the sable and find fictures out of an old catalogue,,

still i think its gr8 the children worked together

Hebs
03-11-2009, 05:08 PM
some of the rules are positive such as...

have fun
take turns
respect each other
remember our manners
be kind
help each other
play nicely

so it's NOT all negitives :thumbsup:

was just worried about the NO ones :laughing:

i am so proud of all of them from the 3 year old to the 12 year old all working together and respecting each others comments :clapping:

got it all on camera too :D as proof that they did it themselves :thumbsup:

mrsgreen
03-11-2009, 05:24 PM
last thursday i sat my big mindees down at the table to make a list of house rules,

they did a fantastic job but alot of them start with NO

NO bad language
NO fighting
NO name calling

etc

i am very proud of the job they did but if Ofsted were to visit for some reason would they frown at it cos some of its negative?? or would they see that the kids have done it themselves AS A TEAM and be OK with it??

is it ok to have it up?

parents think it's great :clapping: :D

when i did my behaviour course they said to speak to children in a positive way, and not to start things with, no, dont, cant etc.
so rather then 'no fighting' try treat each other nicely, or for 'no swearing' say peaak nicely to each other ( or something along them lines).
try to put down what they should be doing rather then what they shouldnt. its hard beacuse alot of us naturally say thing like that, no dont touch that, dont run etc etc.

nannymcflea
03-11-2009, 06:03 PM
OFSTED commented on the rules my kids had done themselves and said what a great idea...there was lots of NO...... in it.

Bananabrain
03-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Mine{written by biggies} all start with 'we'
We are nice to each other
We do not break other peoples models
etc etc
Read somewhere that that is how Ofsted want them because as others have said; they are positives.

miffy
03-11-2009, 06:18 PM
If the children wrote the rules in their own words and they are the ones who are going to keep to those rules then I wouldn't change them.

It's like saying "thanks for the effort but it's not good enough" - not a good lesson for anyone.

Miffy xx

Hebs
03-11-2009, 07:12 PM
when i did my behaviour course they said to speak to children in a positive way, and not to start things with, no, dont, cant etc.
so rather then 'no fighting' try treat each other nicely, or for 'no swearing' say peaak nicely to each other ( or something along them lines).
try to put down what they should be doing rather then what they shouldnt. its hard beacuse alot of us naturally say thing like that, no dont touch that, dont run etc etc.

I repeat, I didn't write them the mindees did!
I am well aware of keeping things positive! But like miffy said telling the kids thanks but its not right could make them feel stupid :-(

TheBTeam
03-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I repeat, I didn't write them the mindees did!
I am well aware of keeping things positive! But like miffy said telling the kids thanks but its not right could make them feel stupid :-(

I think if you can show perhaps by keeping a copy and annotating the back to show how you advised/demonstrated turning the statements into a positive, but the children were certain how they wanted it, then you have done as much as you can, to change it would defeat the object of handing the task to them and demoralise them far more than them working to their own no!

I think sometimes we put too much emphasis on 'turning things into a positive' that kids themselves would benefit from a direct no, and even ask for it!!!!!

Heaven Scent
03-11-2009, 07:28 PM
I agree if the older children wrote them themselves then thats how they want them. Surely now they are older they need to be able to cope with some negatives - life is full of rules and regs that begin with NO and they need to be prepared. Some people need things to be short clear and clean cut - you could spend ages on a big speel going round the houses making things sound positive and then be completely mis-understood by some very confused children and parents!!

I think if you can show perhaps by keeping a copy and annotating the back to show how you advised/demonstrated turning the statements into a positive, but the children were certain how they wanted it, then you have done as much as you can, to change it would defeat the object of handing the task to them and demoralise them far more than them working to their own no!

I think sometimes we put too much emphasis on 'turning things into a positive' that kids themselves would benefit from a direct no, and even ask for it!!!!!

Hebs
03-11-2009, 09:02 PM
i have photos of them all sat at the table making the house rules so i can prove to Ofsted if need be that the children did the rules themselves

nokidshere
04-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Its not a problem in my house!

There is only one rule "I am the boss and everyone does as I say"!!!! :laughing: :laughing:

estrelas
04-11-2009, 08:01 AM
My kids wrote their oen and its put on the wall, When new ones start they sit together and they explain the rules
My ofsted inspector loved it.

FizzysFriends
04-11-2009, 08:05 AM
I would leave it as it is and if ofsted query it you have a full explantion with photo evidence that this is what the children wanted to write. I agree that making them re-do it without the no's would put a negative slant on it for the children.

ORKSIE
04-11-2009, 08:22 AM
My older Mindees made up their own rules. Gave them each a piece of paper and asked them to write house rules they wanted. They put lots of No's too Eg

No running in the house
No arguing

My 3 year old Mindee obviously cant write but he did one too:thumbsup:

I liked the fact they were their own rules:)

ajs
04-11-2009, 09:47 AM
i wouldn't change it

they are the children's rules and it says what they want it to say.

Hebs
04-11-2009, 10:01 AM
thanks, it's staying

:thumbsup:

balloon
04-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Good to hear you're going to keep it! :)

I think it would have been damaging to the relationship you have with the children to change what they worked hard on to suit the faceless ofsted. If ofsted commented I'd tell them the children worked together on it, they have ownership of it and its their rules. That is after all what ofsted demand of us isn't it? ;)

LOOPYLISA
04-11-2009, 12:07 PM

There is only one rule "I am the boss and everyone does as I say"!!!! :laughing: :laughing:

Mine too :D :p

Bananabrain
04-11-2009, 12:57 PM

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Merry-Minder
04-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I think you have made the right choice - You are proudly showing of the childrens hard work. As long as you implemant the rules in a positive way (which im sure you do) then thats fine.

Some of these crazy rules make it so hard for us to be consistant - it drives me mad!!!