PDA

View Full Version : Filling spaces

Bananabrain
03-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Hi ,I know a couple of you guys have mentioned on here about filling spaces through social services.
Could anyone tell me how this works and who I would have to speak to?
Also, whether or not it has impacted on your existing mindees?{please don't take that the wrong way,but I have had a child who had been in care before I had her and all the other children breathed a sigh of relief when she left}
Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

TheBTeam
03-11-2009, 01:32 PM
In our area not all of the social services cases come for children in care, i looked after one little boy who needed care because his mum had to have a spinal operation and she was not able to care for him fully, so they paid for me to look after him.

The Juggler
03-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Our dept is called daycare services (it's an arm between ss and early years and extended services).

They offer sponsored daycare. Parents and children come with such a wide variety of reasons for which they need sponsored daycare. You can tell them if there are any circumstances you wouldn't accept.

I have had 5 children over 5 years (3 long-term (over a year)) and the parents and children have been a delight. Mostly unemployed and struggling a bit with parenting due to mum/parents not able to cope with social situations with other children and so children get to meet with other little ones and have some stimulation. Or, parents with more severe mental health problems where children are in care of other relatives and daycare is needed.

Obviously this ranges to cover for parents on rehab courses/anger management and I think personally I would pass on these due to impact on the other children as it is usually the parents who collect. I might consider if they were some way down the line with treatment and were doing well.