View Full Version : scary moment this morn!

03-11-2009, 01:07 PM
We had a big storm here this morn, i was sat in the lounge waiting for my mindees when suddenly there was a big flash and bang that came from the kitchen!
i have a flat roof in there and thought because the rain was so heavy that it must have leaked into the lights, they are a strip light with 3 bulbs and 1 had gone. i turned them off thinking it was them and there was a slight burning smell.
went out to toddler group and half expected my house to be on fire when i got back! lol.
just went to heat the babies dinner up and the microwave was dead, its plugged into an extension that runs under the worktop, i followed the lead which was all black and so was the laminate floor and the plug.

could have easily started a fire.:panic:

At least a new microwave will be cheaper than having to get an electrician in to mend the lights and someone in to mend the flatroof!:clapping:

03-11-2009, 01:14 PM
:eek: That could have been a disaster!

03-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Glad things were not as bad as it could have been!:eek:

03-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Oh my Goodness, glad all is ok:thumbsup:

03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Best get the rest of the wiring checked to be on the safe side :eek: Years ago I was driving to my parents and there was a massive thunderstorm overhead when I got out the car, just got up the stairs to their front door and a HUGE bolt of lightning hit the road just outside!
All the electricals in my parents house got fried, the phone, computer, fax machine, microwave....could have been much worse!
Lots of new things though and since then they always use a surge protector on the main ring circuits.