PDA

View Full Version : Anyone decided not to register as a food business?

louised
03-11-2009, 11:34 AM
In our area we've just been informed that we must register, I knew it was coming but thought I'd wait until it was compulsary until I registered, however I've been thinking of not bothering and asking parents to supply food. I just can't be bothered with more inspections and paperwork no matter how small. Does anyone else feel this way

Minstrel
03-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I dont think its an option i'm afraid.

Its in the EYFS that we must register and not up to your LA although they may decide that they will not be inspecting you.

The registration is not just for the people providing meals anyone who is serving, storing or handling any food at all, so packed lunches would still require regging.

tinynippers
03-11-2009, 11:39 AM
you know what, they'll be inspecting us soon before were even allowed our own children the world is getting mad....

Pipsqueak
03-11-2009, 11:48 AM
The registration is not just for the people providing meals anyone who is serving, storing or handling any food at all, so packed lunches would still require regging.

absolutely Minstrel - even if you are serving a glass of water the conditions of registration apply

Some LA's choose to enforce this registration more rigorsly than others. My 'inspection' was absolutely fine - no bother - actually I was quite miffed that she did't want to see in my fridge or oven which I had scrubbed clean to sparkling!!!lol

amanda1309
03-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I've just registered with them.

The lady i spoke to said our LA is not inspecting CMs. Thats not to say they won't be doing us in the future.

HTH

nell57
03-11-2009, 12:21 PM

Its in the EYFS that we must register and not up to your LA although they may decide that they will not be inspecting you.

I agree.

I had register for food business for nearly 2 years ago and they came out to inspect Jan 09.

I know a few minders in this area who put down on the reg form that children bring packed lunched, even though I new for a fact they provided cooked food, thinking they wouldn't get inspected. But they were the same as everyone else.

The lady who came to inspect me was really nice and took a quick look in the fridge, making sure that everything was stored correctly. Asked a few questions, such as how do you know if a sausage is cooked or not. Then just offered advice, which most is common sense anyway, so it was not as bad a most people feared

youarewhatyoueat
03-11-2009, 12:30 PM
After reading this I'm ok as I only serve tap water and packed lunches and I don't cut it up. http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb/sfbbchildminders/
I shall probably register anyway now but it does seem to be ott when the fsa aren't really interested.

Lol, just rang up and great I now get an inspection within 28 days with no notice!!! best go and scrub the kitchen.

The Juggler
03-11-2009, 01:22 PM
We registered under a blanket cover of our LA. If it comes to inspections or more paperwork, I will not be providing any more prepared food. I am drowning in paperwork and I will be telling the parents exactly why I am changing the provision.

louised
03-11-2009, 01:35 PM

The info I have been sent from the Food Standards Agency states,

'If you provide no more than the following levels of food service as part of your normal business, you should not be required to register as a food business operator,

a. provision of mains drinking water

b. provision of crockery and cutlery for use by children to eat their own packed lunches

c. provision of chilled storage for packed lunches that belong to the children

d.occasional assistance to children with cutting up their own food in response to individual need rather than an established service

e.occasional provision of food that is not part of the normal service (e.g a cake to celebrate a childs birthday or where a parent/guardian has been delayed)

doesn't that mean I don't need to register if I ask parents to provide packed lunches?

Polly2
03-11-2009, 01:40 PM
The info I have been sent from the Food Standards Agency states,

'If you provide no more than the following levels of food service as part of your normal business, you should not be required to register as a food business operator,

a. provision of mains drinking water

b. provision of crockery and cutlery for use by children to eat their own packed lunches

c. provision of chilled storage for packed lunches that belong to the children

d.occasional assistance to children with cutting up their own food in response to individual need rather than an established service
e.occasional provosion of food that is not part of the normal service (e.g a cake to celebrate a childs birthday or where a parent/guardian has been delayed)

doesn't that mean I don't need to register if I ask parents to provide packed lunches?

I had this sent through yesterday and I filled in form 1 - just to confirm that the above is all I do and that I don't want to register as a food business.

All my parents prefer to send in their own food anyway.

Mrs.L.C
03-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Hmm this has interested me - I guess we should register then even if we only provide a snack at tea time like a sandwich?

Parents provide packed lunch for lunch time

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
03-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Hi
I didnt realise until last week that we had to register, so i phoned them up. The man i spoke to said he would have to put me on hold to read through the guideline as he didnt know if childminders had to be reigistered with them! :panic:

He then cam back to me and said he thought i had to fill in the forms but he still wasnt sure so if i filled them out and then they would decide if i needed to register or not. :panic:

I put on the forms that i only provided sandwiches, youghats and fruit and that i have a level 2 award in food saftey in catering.

I got an email yesterday saying that my name had been added to some list! and that was all i needed to do.

tinynippers
03-11-2009, 03:48 PM
does this cost at all? if so aprox how much?

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
03-11-2009, 03:56 PM
does this cost at all? if so aprox how much?

nope it was free, although i was given 7 different numbers and spoke to about 10 people before i got to speak to the right people!!

babs
03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
i just rang up they said we should reg within one month, sent me some forms askin what kind of food i supply and if i prepare any (which i do.) what temp food sud be reheated too if u reheat. what temp my fridge / freezer run at . what i clean my kitchen sides with etc... wasnt that hard really .

Louise_Oaktree
03-11-2009, 04:55 PM
WHO are we supposed to register with? Our Local Authority?

Kelly
03-11-2009, 05:02 PM
You have to register in our area, but we've been told you will only be inspected if you provide meals.

Pipsqueak
03-11-2009, 07:48 PM
WHO are we supposed to register with? Our Local Authority?

you register with your LA - environmental health NOT the food standards agency

you can get the pack Safer Food Better Business for childminders (make sure you ask for the full title) from the Food Standards Agency.
0845 606 0667
food.gov.uk

The EYFS states:
providers should be aware of their responsibilities under food hygiene legislation including with the relevant LA Environmental Health Department
This is two tier statement - you have to abide by food hygiene legislation and Local Authority.

It goes onto state:
if parents provide packed lunches - providers should inform them about what can be stored safely and about appropriate food content
so best practice guidelines - you should be showing (your Ofsted proof) about how you inform parents of what you can store safely and healthy choices.

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hygleginfo/foodhygknow/

Do I need to register my business?Most food businesses will need to register all of their premises with their local authority. This is now required under EU regulations, replacing previous national registration requirements

sophiestars
03-11-2009, 09:39 PM
How about cooking activities, though? Even if the children bring their own packed lunches, I would imagine you do some sort of cooking activities with them from time to time which would mean you would have to register i think?

Chatterbox Childcare
03-11-2009, 11:16 PM
There isn't any paperwork for you to complete apart from the registration form.

Even if parents provide food you need to register and you store it and reheat it and supply it to the children

louised
04-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Even if parents provide food you need to register and you store it and reheat it and supply it to the children

How can this be true when the food standards agency state that I do not need to register if I store packed lunches in my fridge?

Minstrel
04-11-2009, 02:30 PM
How can this be true when the food standards agency state that I do not need to register if I store packed lunches in my fridge?

As above - its in the EYFS that you MUST register with Enviromental Health- not the FSA's decision.

Pipsqueak
04-11-2009, 02:41 PM

if you read one of my previous posts on here you will see what it states in EYFS about complying with Legislation (EU) and Local Authority

Polly2
04-11-2009, 02:58 PM
So thats why it is different in Wales then :thumbsup: no eyfs

Pipsqueak
04-11-2009, 04:00 PM
So thats why it is different in Wales then :thumbsup: no eyfs

yes but do you come under the EU as well? There is EU legislation that you must be aware of/adhere too