PDA

View Full Version : Chicken pox

Lincsminder
02-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Dd was a little off colour friday morning but insisted on going to pre school and even had a friend back to play for the afternoon and I interviewed a new family. I helped her get changed in to some play clothes after lunch and she said she was feeling fine but at 2.30pm we were just getting ready for the school run and she needed changing again and I noticed her chest and back were covered in spots. So within two hours she had gone from no spots to about 50 and by the end of the night she had over 200. ( yes we did sit counting them but it was at her request)

I have phoned all the parents and they still want me to have their children next week, I was dreading phoning the new one that is starting on Tuesday because I had just told her I never have had an unplanned day off and here I am cancelling her childs first day. I needn't have worried as she pointed out her son was with my dd friday afternoon so its a bit late now. So I have agreed with the parents that if their child gets chicken pox I will still have them unless they are really ill and want their mum.

Rubybubbles
02-03-2008, 08:01 PM
oh no! how is she with them poor little mite! How old is she?

My 2 still haven't caught it even when def been in contact with people right on 'catching time'. I have no idea what to do when they do, I really don't like the idea of them being poorly and looking after the lo too! And I def no way would want to look after lo if they came out in it:o

Funny as tonight I am trying to sort out my illness policy! And chicken pox says recommended period to be keep away is 5 days from on set of rash on my info from the health protection agency

Lincsminder
02-03-2008, 08:13 PM
She has ust turned 4 and is fine with it, a bit itchy or tickly as she says but we have been giving her oat baths which seems to be doing the trick.

On the topic of oat baths does any one know if you can use the oats for more than one bath? I put 3 hand fulls in to the end of a pair of tights and put it under the running tap then let her rub it over her body, it went all gooey and made her skin lovely and soft, she had two baths with this today and now I have thrown it out and washed out the stocking. So will start with a fresh lot tommorow or should I change it at every bath.

sarah707
02-03-2008, 08:15 PM
At least she's getting it over with nice and early - I had it in my teens and it wasn't very nice!

Be aware that children with eczema can get a nasty infection and it can take a while to clear.

I hope you don't end up with lots of spotty children in a few weeks! :D

Annie_T
02-03-2008, 09:33 PM
oh dear.. you cant help it tho.. everything appears or happens when you dont wan them too, and least all parents were understanding etc.

it horrible watching kids with them esepcially if they get lots - 200 is defo that id say bless cotton socks.

hope gets beta soona dn week goes well hun

fionamal
02-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Last Easter one of my mindees got it on the Friday. Came to me in the morning and was a bit off colour and went home at lunchtime. Mum phoned my at 4pm to say he was covered. Next day my daughter was covered so agreed with the mum just to bring her son on the monday as daughter had them and son would no doubt get it as well. By then end of the Easter hols all 6 kids and my own 2 had had them.

Docs say that they are infectious the 10 days before the spots appear. So how do you know they are infectious:rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
02-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Hope you daughter feels better soon. Poor bairn.

My friends little one is really bad with CP at the moment, he has got them under his eyelids, in his mouth, ears everywhere bless him.
My eldest has eczema and when he had chicken pox it drove him ballastic.

People still do as old and chuck all the kids together just to get the infection out the way with don't they.

miffy
02-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Hope your little one feels better soon

Good news that the parents still want you to have the children next week

Miffy xx

Trouble
02-03-2008, 10:06 PM
hope she feels better, its going round up her too!!!!:panic:

childminder54
07-03-2008, 11:56 PM
funny one of my mindees mon said she was picking child up at 11 to take to doctors as she thought her eczma was under her armpit. when her dad came to pay me he said it was ether chicken pox or hand foot and mouth so which one is it. a couple of years ago one child had hand foot and mouth and it was passed onto all the children i mineded and a couple of the parents had it. i told the dad to let me know what was happening nexty week.but after thinking about it i donot think i should have her because of me and the other childredn catching it no one will pay me if i get shingles or hand foot and mouth had shingles befor and was quite bad...

veronicaxx

Twinkles
08-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Hope you daughter feels better soon. Poor bairn.

My friends little one is really bad with CP at the moment, he has got them under his eyelids, in his mouth, ears everywhere bless him.
My eldest has eczema and when he had chicken pox it drove him ballastic.

People still do as old and chuck all the kids together just to get the infection out the way with don't they.

They do, but i wish they wouldn't I know that mostly it can't be helped but I would never knowingly expose anyone to chicken pox. My eldest son spent nearly a week in hospital when he had an allergic reaction to it.

tulip0803
08-03-2008, 12:31 AM
My friend's mindee erupted in spots while he was with her, she told mum that it looked like chicken pox. Mum took to doctors who confirmed it. Friend said she could not have him until spots had dried and Mum went APE :eek: apparantly it's my friend's fault because if she had not told Mum he had chicken pox she "would never have known" and she would not have had to take time off work :rolleyes: . Surely the fact he was covered in spots would give it away?

LO is gorgeous Mum is a nightmare, friend is giving notice as it is not the 1st time Mum has started SHOUTING about various things and she does not want the stress. Said Mum might ring me :eek: . Love the child do not want the mother:p Answer is NO

lisat
08-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Hope your little makes a speedy recovery.

my son had them last october and he was quite ill with them, but when my daughter had then she wasn't off colour at all. she passed them on to my husband who was in bed for 2 weeks though, so better to have them when you're young!

Splish Splosh
08-03-2008, 07:59 AM
hope she gets well soon all the best.x

LittleMissSparkles
08-03-2008, 08:52 AM
someone said there was alot of chicken pox going round at the moment near me, i hope she feels better soon xxx

deeb66
08-03-2008, 03:08 PM
I hope she feels better soon.

We always seem to have chicken pox doing the rounds in my area.

I have never had chicken pox....hope I don't catch them at my age :panic:

miss muffit
08-03-2008, 03:13 PM
My mindee had spots that we thought were chicken pox.. but it turned out to be a virus or so we think...in other words we will never know...they looked like chicken pox to me :) :)

jo hawkins
08-03-2008, 04:25 PM
hope it doesnt mean my mindies are going to get them since your dd was at my house. lol

Lincsminder
16-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Well dd got over the chicken pox just fine,then two weeks to the day that dd got them we found ds1 had got spots and lots of them we counted about 600 and he has been poorly all weekend. Two of the mindies have them and this morning ds2 was also covered, so it looks like we well and truly passed it around. Good job dh is off work Mon and Tue he can stay with all the spotty ones whilst I do the, m,uch quieter, school run.

Blaze
16-03-2008, 09:20 PM
DD gave DS chicken pox when he was a baby..prompty passed on to me (never been so ill in my life)! It's going round DD school again at the moment...one of mindee's mum's said she's gonna do her best for mindee to catch it as she wants it out the way & as mine have all had mindee can still come...I told her in no uncertain terms NO:angry: Apart from the fact another mindee hasn't had it..i don't want shingles! she wasn't happy...but tough!
Tasha:)

miffy
16-03-2008, 09:37 PM
One of my mindees has cancelled next week - he has chicken pox!

Think it's doing the rounds again here

miffy xx