PDA

View Full Version : Liability Insurance before having children on books?

OrlandoBelle
02-11-2009, 07:35 PM
My friend has just attended an ICP course and 2 of the women running the session has told them that they MUST have liability insurance in place when their certificate is issued, even if they are not actually minding.

Has anyone else heard this, and does anyone know the reasons behind it?

sarah707
02-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Sorry I have no idea why you would need to be insured before you are actually working.

I think your friend needs to contact Ofsted for clarification -

enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk / 08456 404040

Perhaps she can let us know the reply she gets..? :D

tinynippers
02-11-2009, 07:39 PM
someone else might know better but i myself have never heard of it. as when i rang NCMA you only need it for when your first mindee starts as if you ring ncma the night before (before 5pm) you will be covered for the next day you just have to tell parents your certificate is on its way if they ask.

hope this helps a little xxx

TheBTeam
02-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Same story here, no cover needed until your first mindee starts, is the way I have believed it to be, and want we did when my dh first got a mindee in his name, (you will need it to do settling in visits with no parent present).

OrlandoBelle
02-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Thats what I thought. It was the same when I started. I will pass your messages on. Thanks girls! xxx

The Juggler
03-11-2009, 01:17 PM
I agree with sarah. liability insurance is to cover accidents for which you are liable whilst children are in your care. So, it doesn't make any sense. I think the briefing session speaker was wrong. Doesn't surprise me, I know people who've been told strange stuff by our DO at the briefings and I have challenged her and she denied it was said:mad:

Daddy Day Care
03-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Ive been registered sicne june and I have no Insurance yet and certainly dont plan on getting it untill I have any Mindees.

I would have wasted almost half year of insurance already

Gareth
xx

tulip0803
04-11-2009, 08:10 PM
In Wales you have to have your PL insurance certificate before CSSIW will issue your registration. :rolleyes:

brightstar
04-11-2009, 09:43 PM
I had it too, and wasted 7 months of it. Good job it was free for the first year!

cherishcare
29-05-2010, 11:11 PM
In Wales you have to have your PL insurance certificate before CSSIW will issue your registration. :rolleyes:

This is also what I've been told. I think though you can apply for the insurance but delay the actual start date. I read that somewhere but I forgot where sorry.