PDA

View Full Version : sparklers??

mushpea
02-11-2009, 06:35 PM
do any of you let your mindees have sparklers? I have decided this year that i am going to let the have them and so just wonded what rules you have for the children using them.
My partner (hes registered assistant) is going to assist me, there will be one mindee plus my two, mindee is nearly 6 and my two are 9 and 11 so am going to sit them down first and talk to them about saftey, they will wear gloves and stand well away from each other and we will have a bucket of water to put the 'dead' sparklers in.
is there anything i've forgotten or any tips? I did get written permision from the parent today.

~Chelle~
02-11-2009, 06:42 PM
I personally wouldnt let them have sparklers in my care and feel that it is something for the parent to do with their own children.

Whilst I understand that you would be teaching them safety etc, I would not feel comfortable with them having sparklers whilst in my care. It would only take for one of them to turn suddenly and catch someone with the sparkler. Kids do get excited about them and can be easily distracted.

We will be doing lots of activities to do with bonfire night, but sparklers are a no-no for me personally.

singingcactus
02-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't let the kids I care for have them whilst I was actually caring for them. They can get them while they are out with their parents.

youarewhatyoueat
02-11-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm the same, let the parent's do it.

Jemima77
02-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Mine are all too young to risk sparklers, but at 6 I am sure your mindee will be able to manage it himself and enjoy it.
Good Luck x

karenandsmile
02-11-2009, 08:09 PM
i wouldnt go there but if you do you should have a risk assesment and signed permission from the parents that they will allow it and i may even run it by my network officer but unless i had one to one with the kids dont think i would be happy doing it

RainbowMum
02-11-2009, 08:34 PM
They terrify me - wont let my own have them so no wont give them to mindees - just my own preference.

Pipsqueak
02-11-2009, 09:49 PM
I would and have in the past let mindees have them - under strict guidelines and supervision.

I say - enjoy and have fun:thumbsup:

Make sure you have signed/written permission and a risk assessment in place.

PixiePetal
02-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I would and have in the past let mindees have them - under strict guidelines and supervision.

I say - enjoy and have fun:thumbsup:

Make sure you have signed/written permission and a risk assessment in place.

Me too, with permissions and RA - let them have fun, how will they learn if not.

nannymcflea
02-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Just remember how hot they get and can cause serious burns...though probably with you supervising they are less likely to get injured as you would probably be more vigilant than their parents(iyswim).

Pipsqueak
02-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I always make sure children stand far enough apart - I chalk out a square/section for them to stand in and that is 'their' space - while they have a sparkler or there are some on the go they cannot move into someone elses space or move out of theirs if they have one.

I have always kept a spare bucket of water - one for the dead sparklers to go in and one for any burned hands to be plunged into if the need arises.

mushpea
03-11-2009, 07:06 AM
thanks for your replies, i like the idea of having a chalked space, intersting to find out that some of you wouldnt even enterrtain the idea of sparklers. I have choosen to do this on a thursday when i have only one extra mindee as the rest of the week i have up to 7 and theres no way i would do it with that many also as my partner is there to help then I feel safer doing it. there will only be my two and the mindee all who are old enough to understand the dangers and what to do and they will be told if they do not stick to the rules then they will hav their sparkler taken away.
As i picked up from the school yesterday the teacher had 3 children in the playground with sparklers, apprently the whole school had them in small groups so i am sure if they can do it then i can (legally i mean).

Mollymop
03-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Sparklers scare me! I daren't even hold them,..but I am such a scaredy cat.

My kids aren't allowed sparklers, but that's probably cos I wrap them up in cotton wool too much, after all they are 5 and 10:eek:

happytotschildminding
03-11-2009, 08:15 AM
I did sparklers last year (after-schoolers only) - risk assessed, got parents consent and the children signed agreements - they wore gloves, I had a bucket of water at the ready. They enjoyed them, but they actually enjoyed the glowsticks afterwards more - they ran around the garden pretending to be ghosts (with halloween not long out the way) and went on a ghost hunt, watched their reflections in the windows and the glowsticks lasted longer!
Carol

Chatterbox Childcare
03-11-2009, 08:17 AM
No I only do them with my own as I have too many to supervise correctly. They are so hot and could melt the skin off of their hands. I'll leave that to the parents.

Just do a RA before.

polly0
03-11-2009, 01:42 PM
I say go for it!! As long as you have got all your forms signed and followed safety procedures, kids need to be kids and have some fun:laughing:

cherry pink
03-11-2009, 07:42 PM
has anyone checked with their insurance company about using sparklers with mindees??? would it cover us??

miffy
03-11-2009, 09:21 PM
It's not something I've ever done with mindees.

I read somewhere that 3 sparklers give off as much heat as a blow torch, don't fancy the responsibility for that - like Debbie said, I've too many to supervise correctly.

Miffy xx

TheBTeam
03-11-2009, 10:26 PM
I have to say sparklers scare me, my dh will let our two children, but I am on edge the whole time and almost over the top paranoid, i have had a piece stick on a glove and it burnt my hand.

But then I am a scaredy cat when it comes to home fireworks!