PDA

View Full Version : having to close my business

lilsteff1986
02-11-2009, 04:23 PM
hey guys!

im having to close down my childminding buisness :( as i have been offered another job working as a nanny (which is better paid and more hours:) ) i really want this job as currently i have been rather ill with numerous kidney problems and other health issues as well as stress which my hair fell out with too, my gp belives that its my job thats making my recovery longer.

the parents i have to discuss this with are not the most understanding of people nor the most nicest when it comes to bad news!

i was thinking of writing a letter to the parents saying that i was stopping childminding . any ideas?

sarah707
02-11-2009, 05:16 PM
I'd tell them and follow it up in writing with a letter stating outstanding fees and their child's last day.

Hope they are ok about it.

Congratulations on the new job! :clapping:

helenlc
02-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Why not do as Sarah suggested - tell them in person and also follow with a written explanation.

Could you suggest any local minders that may be able to take their children on? It might help them find someone else.

At the end of the day, you are self employed and its up to you whether you work or not.

I looked at going back to nannying when I didnt have any mindees. I must say that the thought of just turning up at someones house, looking after the kids, then coming home to a toy free house still appeals!!:D But I couldnt find a job where I could take my own children along and then luckily some mindees came along too.

Best wishes - hope you are back to 100% soon!!!

miffy
02-11-2009, 05:27 PM
I'd tell them and follow it up in writing with a letter stating outstanding fees and their child's last day.

Hope they are ok about it.

Congratulations on the new job! :clapping:

I agree with Sarah.

Well done on getting your new job - hope everything works out for you :)

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Well done on the new job :thumbsup:

I thought about going back to nannying but am too old now to be told what to do :laughing:

I feel my kids need me about more than ever with GCSEs just around the corner:rolleyes:

singingcactus
02-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Well done on new job. Hope it goes well with telling the parents, not that they have any right to be anything but polite about it at the very least!
I really hope you are feeling better soon.

lilsteff1986
17-11-2009, 01:34 PM
HELLO AGAIN WELL ITS CRUNCH TIME :( I TOLD PARENTS 2DAY THAT I WAS HAVING TO CLOSE MY BUSINESS-THEY DIDNT TAKE IT VERY WELL- IN FACT I GOT SHOUTED AT AND MADE TO FEEL GUILTY EVEN THOUGH I OFFERED TO HELP THEM FIND NEW CHILDMINDER, I ENDED UP IN TEARS :panic:

ITS NOW TIME TO PUT IT INTO A LETTER AND THE REMAINING FEES ETC, ANY IDEAS WHERE TO START WITH THE LETTER? I STILL FEEL UPSET ABOUT BEING SHOUTED AT- MY PARTNER KEEPS REASSURING ME BUT I CANT STOP THINKING BAOUT HOW MUCH THEY SHOUTED AT ME- AFTER ALL THE THINGS I HAVE DONE OVER THE LAST 3 YEARS :( I CANT SLEEP ON A NIGHT AND I DREAD THE DOORBELL GOING IN THE MORNING- OBE OF THE MINDEES ASKED THIS MORNING WHY I DIDNT LIKE THEM ANY MORE- OF COURSE I SAID THAT I DID LIKE THEM AND I WAS GETTING A NEW JOB- OBVIOUSLY THE PARENT HAD BEEN SAYING :censored: WHICH DOESNT SUPIRSE ME TO BE HONEST =(

IM STUCK IN A RUT AND NEED HELP :mad:

CherryBlossom
17-11-2009, 09:04 PM
HELLO AGAIN WELL ITS CRUNCH TIME :( I TOLD PARENTS 2DAY THAT I WAS HAVING TO CLOSE MY BUSINESS-THEY DIDNT TAKE IT VERY WELL- IN FACT I GOT SHOUTED AT AND MADE TO FEEL GUILTY EVEN THOUGH I OFFERED TO HELP THEM FIND NEW CHILDMINDER, I ENDED UP IN TEARS :panic:

ITS NOW TIME TO PUT IT INTO A LETTER AND THE REMAINING FEES ETC, ANY IDEAS WHERE TO START WITH THE LETTER? I STILL FEEL UPSET ABOUT BEING SHOUTED AT- MY PARTNER KEEPS REASSURING ME BUT I CANT STOP THINKING BAOUT HOW MUCH THEY SHOUTED AT ME- AFTER ALL THE THINGS I HAVE DONE OVER THE LAST 3 YEARS :( I CANT SLEEP ON A NIGHT AND I DREAD THE DOORBELL GOING IN THE MORNING- OBE OF THE MINDEES ASKED THIS MORNING WHY I DIDNT LIKE THEM ANY MORE- OF COURSE I SAID THAT I DID LIKE THEM AND I WAS GETTING A NEW JOB- OBVIOUSLY THE PARENT HAD BEEN SAYING :censored: WHICH DOESNT SUPIRSE ME TO BE HONEST =(

IM STUCK IN A RUT AND NEED HELP :mad:

Sorry to hear this. How selfish and horrible of them to shout at you!
Try not to let it get to you, soon you won't have to see them anymore.
Sorry don't have any tips for the letter writing as not started myself yet.
Good luck though!
xx

nannymcflea
17-11-2009, 09:12 PM
What a nasty parent,tainting their kids mind like that.:angry:

If you feel threatened,ring NCMA and OFSTED and let them know, then terminate the contract immediately.

sarah707
17-11-2009, 09:19 PM

If you feel threatened,ring NCMA and OFSTED and let them know, then terminate the contract immediately.

I totally agree!

Sending hugs xx

Blackhorse
17-11-2009, 09:21 PM

I would have to agree with this. If they are getting like that I would also inform NCMA and Ofsted...that is not very nice of the parents.
they should not make you feel guilty nor should they tell the children you dont like them...that is outraging!

Try not to worry too much about it though...you wont have to deal with them for much longer...if it gets really bad just tell them you are too ill to work...which I would be if I was afraid of the abuse I might get from the parents...I wouldnt usually suggest to phone up ill but these parents should not treat you like that!

I hope you can get this resolved soon
Good luck in your new job

as for the letter...keep it brief and simple.

Termination of Contract

Dear Parent,
I am herewith informing you that for personal reasons I am closing down my childminding business as of the....date...
As written in the contract your notice period is x weeks.
To comply with this my last working day will be the x.

I am happy to recommend a couple of local childminders to you to help you with the search for a replacement

Kind regards

Something like that...make sure you put a date on the letter so they cannot argue about it later! and keep a copy in your own records.

mama2three
18-11-2009, 02:31 PM
make sure they know how much they owe you and by when too , its a nightmare getting money from parents who have left!