PDA

View Full Version : Care plan/plan of action

gemhei
02-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Today i had a new mindee come for his first visit. He was a very friendly little boy who i think will settle in nicely. Mum told me all about him then casualy said 'oh and watch out for his fits', i thought she ment as in temper tantrums, i replied 'oh we are used to it here, these lot are same when they cannot get their own way' she laughed it off and carried on talking about his routine.

At the end of his visit she was walking out of the living room and she said 'oh dont let me forget to give you my other mobile number, i dont want you to be at hospital and not be able to get hold of me' I looked puzzled and asked why i would be at hospital, she went on to explain that the little boy didnt just have temper tantrums he had actual fits :rolleyes: . She explained he holds his breath when hes cross and goes blue, he passes out and sometimes if he doesnt clam down hell have a fit. She explained what to do with him to calm him down and how to act if he doesnt. Im just so glad it got brought up again.

Ive never really handled anything like this since i worked in nursery and i wondered if i should put some kind of care plan into writting and get mum to sign it to cover me? How would you go about it? Would you do a list like a plan of action or write writing like a policy or proceedure?

Sorry so long, thanks for any help :D

Pipsqueak
02-11-2009, 04:08 PM
oh thats really naughty of the parent to not be fully honest with you straight off.:(

I think I would want something in writing about the causes/triggers of these 'fits', what actually happens and what they actually mean by 'fits' - is it similar to a siezure etc, how the parents deal with it and then draw up a plan of action together etc etc.

Sounds like full on breath holding temper tantrums - very scary for all involved but I hope that they have not made a rod for themselves or anyone elses back by 'giving in' to the child etc.

sarah707
02-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Yes I would want a full care plan in place including what might happen to bring the fit on, at what point you need to call emergency services etc.

Hth :D

youarewhatyoueat
02-11-2009, 05:22 PM
If they are breath holding temper tantrums why are they going to hospital? I would want to know a bit more, she is calling them fits but does she mean a seizure. Does she take the child to hospital and what do the doctors say.
I wouldn't take the child without some sort of instructions in writing and an action plan as to what you are expected to do if it happens. If youre minding other children it might not be easy to just go to hospital you may have to agree that she meets the ambulance there or something.
Can't believe she just dropped this on you as she was walking out the door!!!

Goatgirl
02-11-2009, 05:33 PM
hi gemhei :) ,
I agree: you need to ask lots of questions to get a clear plan of care sorted out in relation to these 'fits'. I'd ask the parent to provide a doctor's letter too, to explain the condition, what precautions/treatment are currently needed etc, as the mention of hospital does make it sound like seizures.

I'd feel very nervous without this as the parent doesn't seem very skilled at communicating: You need to know exactly what the problem is before you can deal with it effectively...

Hope it goes well:)

bws, Wendy

tashaleee
02-11-2009, 08:00 PM
If I were in your position I would want to have a long and lengthy chat and get a lot more information about this.

I used to look after a child who would hold their breath and 'could' pass out - but this is totally different imho to a child who would have a fit. If they have a fit then it involves more of what happens, watching if they fall, that they could land on another child (eg baby). Also if she is thinking that you will be ending up in hospital how often would this be, how would your other parents feel about their child going to the hospital, how would the 'fits' affect the other children in your care, etc

You would then need a definite care plan in place once you know what you are dealing with... hope you manage to get it all sorted :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
02-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Yes I would want a full care plan in place including what might happen to bring the fit on, at what point you need to call emergency services etc.Hth :D

everyone makes really relevant points about the 'trip to hospital' - like you Sarah I would be calling the emergency services (if needed) and I do make it clear to parents I may not be able to accompany their child to hospital - especially if I have other children in my care. So gemhei you need to make careful consideration about this point too

jumpinjen
02-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi,

i just sat and wrote one for one of my mindees with sections for parents to fill in and sign, as they informed today at drop off that she had an allergic reaction to peanut butter at the weekend, quite severely and is waiting for further tests to determine her allergies. I make the food that she eats and wanted in writing that they are happy for that to continue and exactly what foods i should be omitting at the moment and that they will update me as they get more information, and I've warned them that if it becomes severe i will not be able to cook her food anymore.

jenni:)

charliegee
02-11-2009, 11:02 PM
oooh I think that is not good on the part of the mother to talk about it by causually dropping it in......she should have been straight from the outset:eek:

I can't give much help on this as not very experienced myself but just to say sounds v good advise given

hope all gets sorted for you

x