PDA

View Full Version : Safeguarding Issues

grindal
02-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I have just collected Ds1 and 2 from playgroup. While I was there I noticed a little girl from playgroup walking out of the car park and onto the road. I assumed her mum was still inside and asked her to wait with me - when her mum did not come out I asked where her mum was. I gathered up her, DS1 and 2 and my mindee and walked back inside playgroup and asked if her mum had come to collect her. As I was doing this her mum appeared - said I cant stop the baby is in the car :panic: and walked away with her daughter. I just stood there feeling a little bit shocked as this little girl could so easily have ended up under a car or in the hands of a dodgy stranger. Anyway. I am now thinking I want to officially bring the incident to the attention of the playgroup as I do not like to think it would be possible for my children or mindees to get out the door before I have arrived. How would I go about this - can I put something in writing - or should I leave it to the little girls mum?

youarewhatyoueat
02-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Why did you not say something straight away, I would ring and speak to the manager and ask for them to review the collection procedures. They should be grateful to you.

grindal
02-11-2009, 02:08 PM
I did say something!! I said that I had found her wandering down the road and did they realise she was outside. As I was in the middle of saying this her mum walked in and whisked her away. To be honest I was a bit shocked by the whole thing. I am wondering what I should do next.

Blackhorse
02-11-2009, 02:19 PM
did maybe mum already pick her up and the girl wandered away from her??
that might explain mum's reaction??

grindal
02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
No Blackhorse her mum was not there. Her daughter managed to walk out of the playgroup with nobody noticing. She was extremely lucky I was there as she was heading right out into the main road when I grabbed her hand.

Blackhorse
02-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I would give them a phone to discuss again and see what they have to say

I would be worried about my own kids too if another one gets out ask them how they can assure you the same wont happen again with any kids including yours...

as for mum..did she realise what had actually happened???
I find this hard to imagine ...even if in a hurry..then I would get the baby out of the car and walk into the nursery and discuss the issue fully...

Chatterbox Childcare
02-11-2009, 02:48 PM
I would make an appointment to speak to the owner of the nursery. If you go back in now someone could cover their tracks and the next time it could be fatal.

Tink
02-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I have just completed a safeguarding course. Due to you not speaking to the manager straight away, I suggest you make an observation of what happened and the reaction you was given by mum. She sounds as if she had only just arrived at the setting.
You need to sign and date your observation and arrange to speak to the manager ASAP.
Hope this helps

mrsgreen
02-11-2009, 06:45 PM
yes i would say something to the paygroup. i am on a playschool committee and feel it is best for everyone to know if there door policy is a bit slack. if you feel they should, insisit they log it down as a incident, so they need to show it to ofsted on there next inspection. i would also mention it to mum, she kinda needs to know. write everything down incase it gets logged as a complaint. good luck.