PDA

View Full Version : messy fingers!!

charliegee
02-11-2009, 01:16 AM
hello all - hope you've all had a good weekend (I'm up at silly oclock again!!!)

just wondering....I've got some little toddler mindees and I really want to do some craft activities with them - we do gloop / messy play but want to do some handprints with them - like firework pictures!

trouble is...every paint I have says not suitable for under 3's.....so what can I use?!

any ideas? - I was thinking food colouring but my other half thinks this will stain something rotten (thinking of parents reaction to blue coloured fingers!!!)

what do you all do?

xxx

David Sheppard
02-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Hi,

On my plastic bottles the 'Not suitable for under 36 months' warning is referring to the small part choke hazard of the bottle top rather than the paint contained inside. As long as the paint is non-toxic it will be safe for everyone. Just keep the bottle well out of reach of the under 3's.

Have fun,

David

miffy
02-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Early Learning centre sell easy painters - like felt tip pens but paint with a sponge ball roller at the top - not too messy and they make lovely splatter marks if the children just dab them on the paper.

Miffy xx

Princess Sara
02-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Early Learning centre sell easy painters - like felt tip pens but paint with a sponge ball roller at the top - not too messy and they make lovely splatter marks if the children just dab them on the paper.

Miffy xx

I got these at the weekend, they're fab! DS2(16mo) loved them.

youarewhatyoueat
02-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Did some today, I always just use the paint in squeezy bottles its non toxic. I used A3 sheets of black paper and plastic plates filled with orange,red, purple and white and just let them squelch the paint all over the paper they look fab. Got them hanging in the hallway.

guest3
02-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Can I just ask what age children you're talking about please? I only have one mindee and she's only 10 months old!

Thanks, Wendy x

charliegee
02-11-2009, 11:04 PM
gosh they look fab!!! (ELC paints!!) -perfect!

Sorry to be being a total jobsworth but I'm just struggling on the whole age aspect - as had another check on my paints - (asda ones mostly) and they all say unsuitable for under 3's

so is this with reference to just the small parts then (like lids on tops?)

sorry I can't believe I'm asking such a funny question!!:blush: :laughing:

xxxx

Pipsqueak
02-11-2009, 11:11 PM
I have used paints with all sorts of age groups including teeny tinies and I think the age warning is just to cover the manufacturers tbh. As long as you supervise and use non-toxic paints I don't see a problem!

charliegee
02-11-2009, 11:15 PM
I have used paints with all sorts of age groups including teeny tinies and I think the age warning is just to cover the manufacturers tbh. As long as you supervise and use non-toxic paints I don't see a problem!

Oh I totally agree...I've used my paints on my own little one - is brilliant seeing their little faces and getting all curious and excited!

....just thinking incase a child had a freak unexpected allergic reaction to the paint (as in non toxic normal paint that we all use / is available everywhere) wanting to cover myself...

gosh...do you all have permission for paints or is that me being a bit OTT thinking about doing one?!

X

The Juggler
03-11-2009, 08:03 AM
....just thinking incase a child had a freak unexpected allergic reaction to the paint (as in non toxic normal paint that we all use / is available everywhere) wanting to cover myself...

gosh...do you all have permission for paints or is that me being a bit OTT thinking about doing one?!

X

:eek: I hope not or we'll have to have a permission form for every glue, paint or messy play stuff that we use!

rachelle
03-11-2009, 09:21 AM
I use asda squeezy ones with all ages too - I do have some finger paints without an age thingy -galt I think - but only by chance!

My 10 month old mindee LOVES finger painting - must get onto some bonfire pictures...