PDA

View Full Version : slow cooker advice

atmkids
01-11-2009, 02:38 PM
I intend making a casserole in the slow cooker tomorrow which I've done loads of times but I've never added potatoes to it. Everyone will be eating at different times so I really need the potatoes cooked as well. Can anyone tell me when to put them in. If you add them straight away do they just turn mulchy and do you need to put in enough liquid to cover the spuds as well and if you do that does it come out too runny? Sorry for all the questions :blush:

Hebs
01-11-2009, 02:53 PM
i put my potatoes in first and leave them in as long as needed and no they dont go mushy :D

mummyroysof3
01-11-2009, 03:02 PM
can i cook chicken strips from frozen in it? im asuming not but just wondered

charlotte x

Hebs
01-11-2009, 03:15 PM
can i cook chicken strips from frozen in it? im asuming not but just wondered

charlotte x

i have, the ones from iceland cook from frozen ones :thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
01-11-2009, 03:19 PM
I chop the potatoes up small, otherwise they will still be hard come dinner time :thumbsup:

singingcactus
01-11-2009, 04:40 PM
All cook books and as far as I know food safety information say do NOT add frozen meat to your slow cooker. It takes too long for the meat to get to a cooking temperature,holding it at a dangerous temperature for way too long.
I don't think I am explaining it very well, and am sure someone else will say better what I am trying to say. But it is along the same lines as cooling your food quickly so it doesn't stay at a lukewarm temp where bacteria can thrive. You need to get the temperature of your cooking meat up quickly too.

edited to add, I always add my potatoes from the start too cos I love them soft and gravy flavoured :)

Hebs
01-11-2009, 04:58 PM
normal frozen chicken i dont, but iceland do cook from frozen chicken think it's been part cooked already or something :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
01-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Thats why mums go to iceland :laughing:

I don't put frozen meats in btw :thumbsup: