PDA

View Full Version : Giant African Land Snails...good pets?

Mouse
01-11-2009, 01:44 PM
After the last of the goldfish died, we have a good sized empty tank. Rather than getting more goldfish, I was thinking of giant african land snails.

Who keeps them? Are they easy to look after?
Do you need any special equipment?

Thank you.

Annie_T
01-11-2009, 08:43 PM
we have 1 .. i wouldnt have more than 1 (as they will produce lots of babies - they are both sexes so this can happen if alone too ...but not common)

they are good but dont do anything, easy to look after, feed, clean etc

compose for the bottom, not dry but not wet (i sprinkle some water on it) then have a lid of water in corner (was a pressed foundation lid) dont want soemthing to deep as can drown
We clean it out once month there abouts - nothing to clean up as such

food - lettuce, toms, cucumber, grapes, apple (last 4 not given reg tho unlike lettuce)

you can polish their shell but bewared if its clear/white its growning a new shell area and this will be soft & if broken can die(tho ours repaired it self & is fine)

they can be held but make sure hands are wet otherwise you burn them
Ours has once tried eating/grinding my sons hand lol (not dangerous tbh just a strange feeling)

when i got ours i googled it and it said about a heat mat etc .. we not bothered with this and its fine... long it not kept in cold it ok .. they can hybinate if to cold or not feed regular

erm pass what else to say lol x