PDA

View Full Version : Books - how many do you have?

FussyElmo
01-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Is it just me but I feel that books are taking over my house. I have a bookcase in the dining room full and have just had to fill a big storage box full of them. There is a bookcase in both of the childrens rooms full. I have a bookcase in the living room for my books. Cook books are in the kitchen windowsill and there is a pile of books on the landing which have been read but have no where to put them. Dont even ask where i put the library books:rolleyes:

Am i excessive - honest opinions please. Do I need to learn to say no when I pass a booksale etc.

sarah707
01-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I have sooo many children's books!

I have a basket of baby books, one for toddlers and a shelf full of books we read together.

I pass adult books on when I've finished with them - I'm in a reading circle with some friends.

Ds has inherited his father's gene though and his room is stuffed full of them! :rolleyes:

:D

Mouse
01-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't think there's such a thing as too many books!

We have hundreds of them! We have 2 big bookcases in the hall, all the bedrooms have full bookcases & the tops of mine and DH's wardrobes are piled high with books. One of the sheds has loads of books stored in it - we've just got nowhere in the house to put them. DH has even started to store books at his mum's!

I did have a big cull a while back & got rid of loads of my books (novels) that I know I won't read again. Now, when I finish a book, I take iy straight to the charity shop (and normally come home with several more!)

christine e
01-11-2009, 11:21 AM
I made a promise to myself early this year not to buy any more books! Did I stick to it NO I DID NOT, I love books! childrens books, novels, cookery books, reference books. BOOKs everywhere, in the house, garage, summer house, bathroom. The only bookds I part with are novels which I put in charity bags when I have read them.

Cx

LOOPYLISA
01-11-2009, 11:41 AM
I love books :clapping:

AnnieM
01-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I had loads and they started to take over my life, :rolleyes: so I had a serious de-clutter, I gave loads of kids books away to a lady who fosters and lots of mine which I have read have been swapped on the read it swap it site, which I think is fantastic. Most of the childrens books I had have never even been looked at, so I had a serious look at the types of books the children liked, got rid of the ones they didn't and have stocked up on the type they do like. All I need now are some children to read them. :p

ajs
01-11-2009, 11:47 AM
we are the same but as there was no where to store them anymore we culled them all and sold loads on amazon marketplace ,

other than some favourite cook books i got rid of loads as if i need a recipe i tend to come online and look for it rather than trawl through loads of books to find it
i sold a cookbook that i had from new on the marketplace for £20 as it was out of print

if you load the isbn in to amazon then say what condiotion it is in it will come up with the most recent price and you just choose the price you want to sell it at very easy and a very good way to make money

helenlc
01-11-2009, 12:35 PM
I have far too many and have to make myself walk past the charity shop without going in and buying some!

I have a box of board books which my under 2s have free access to. Then some story books with paper pages that are up high and we get down to read together.

Then I have extra books everywhere - in the loft, the cupboard under the stairs. I rotate them or bring out ones that are relevent ie Xmas, easter etc.

I love books and my 2 children are the same so they have loads in their room too and wont part with favourite ones either.

haribo
01-11-2009, 01:32 PM
i have too many but cannot get rid of them - i pretend i will move to a big house one day and have a library lol- i love reading and like to encourage the children to read and enjoy books:thumbsup:

Alibali
01-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Hundreds, and I can't stop myself buying more:blush: We LOVE books:D

miffy
01-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Loads and loads and loads!

Keep threatening to go through them all and get rid of some but haven't got round to it yet. Still buying them though :D

Miffy xx

tinynippers
01-11-2009, 06:58 PM
ofsted likes books as well:thumbsup:

ORKSIE
01-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Far too many.....The kids love em, but i do need a clear out:D

madasahatter
01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
loads, 2 bookcases downstairs, 1 bookcase in DS's bedroom and several boxes in the loft and that's only the kids books. There are 2 bookcases full of mine and DH's books.
A storyteller came to visit our preschool a while since and apparently Einstein (I think) was quoted as saying 'if you want your child to succeed then read them stories, if you want them to be a genius read them more stories'.

The Juggler
01-11-2009, 08:43 PM
I have a big 'treasure box' of books for work, ds and dd have a room full each which I pinch sometimes and then ........I go to the library and borrow more each week:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tulip0803
01-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Can never have too many books.

The only room in my house without books is the Utility room:rolleyes: . I have boxes of books and no shelves to put them on.

I get very attached to books and cannot get rid of them if I have enjoyed them so I just get more and more.:blush:

Heaven Scent
01-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Millions, trillions & Zillions - I love books!!!!

Chell
02-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I get very attached to books and cannot get rid of them if I have enjoyed them so I just get more and more.:blush:

Same here, I was trying to do a book cull last week but couldn't bring myself to get rid of many. We were given loads by olders cousins, some have never been looked at so they went to the charity shop.

DS is starting to outgrow a lot of his books but I am keeping them for my childminding.

Pipsqueak
02-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Hundreds of books too at this house! lol

I love books and so do the children.

I have started putting a selection of books in a basket down on the floor for the children to rifle through and I rotate this every week.

buildingblocks
04-11-2009, 02:50 PM
oh good someone like me.

I have a bookcase in my front room full of books all four shelves. I have boxes upstairs of books ready to be made in to story sacks. If I had children they would have bookcases in their bedrooms.

In my opinion you can never have enough books and to instil a love of books into a child is a wonderful thing.

Mind you I was reading Famous five books aged 5 so I could be a little bit biased.

kelzunique
04-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Hmmm i think what we can take from this thread is childminders LUUURVE their books! :laughing:

Im the same! TONNS!! In fact im re-sorting them on the bookshelf now! re-tidying my room after inspection day! :clapping:

LOVE BOOKS!
Love to collect them too - store them alphabetically by author ect, and that before i even start about the kids book. MUST AVOID CHARITY SHOPS!!!:laughing:

roo1965
05-11-2009, 02:38 PM
well we have loads but as my wife all ways says the children can never have enough at any age, if they find a book that they dont like today then they have a chance to find one that they do. so tounge in mouth if you fancy selling any then let me know we are putting in a dedicated reading area and mini library for them will have t take a picture when its done !!!! :idea:
kr roo