PDA

View Full Version : Trick or Treat - that's the way to do it...

David Sheppard
31-10-2009, 08:50 PM
I decorated the porch with all the Halloween 'stuff', filled the sweet buckets, lit the tea light inside the pumpkin head in preparation for the Trick or Treaters.

What I wasn't prepared for was two little 'devils!' (about 4 or 5) who rang the bell at 6.30ish. I greeted them, then looked around in panic as they were apparantly alone. On asking them where their parents were whilst letting them choose their treats - the older one answered with a load of sarcasm in his voice...

"Me mum's in the car..."

the other one added, "dan the road!"

Off they ran, and I just burst out laughing.

Trick or Treat - by TAXI :laughing: :laughing:

aly
31-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I decorated the porch with all the Halloween 'stuff', filled the sweet buckets, lit the tea light inside the pumpkin head in preparation for the Trick or Treaters.

What I wasn't prepared for was two little 'devils!' (about 4 or 5) who rang the bell at 6.30ish. I greeted them, then looked around in panic as they were apparantly alone. On asking them where their parents were whilst letting them choose their treats - the older one answered with a load of sarcasm in his voice...

"Me mum's in the car..."

the other one added, "dan the road!"

Off they ran, and I just burst out laughing.

Trick or Treat - by TAXI :laughing: :laughing:

Lol thats so funny :laughing:

Annie_T
31-10-2009, 09:16 PM
oh bles them, I never let my 2 go alone ... even if we drive to a house (normally one with loads deco etc in middle nowhere nearly) i still go up with them

bless them tho sounded so sweet lol - i not had a single trick treater yet .. soemthing to do with my lights are off watching tv and no deco outside lol x

sweets
31-10-2009, 09:16 PM
i had two little ghosts come to my door they were about 4 and 6. mum and dad were stood at the gate, i gave them some sweets and off they went, about 10 secs later door banged again and it was the same 2 boys, they just said thankyou and ran off! mum and dad had made them come back as they hadnt said it the first time. lol

Blackhorse
31-10-2009, 09:17 PM
imagine the area they can cover that way...they probably will end up with a boot full of sweeties to last for a year...LOL

I was just off the phone with my mum in vienna, and she had trick or treaters round for the first time...it is only just really starting off in austria..the whole halloween trick or treat thing.....not as common as here..

but they added a nice twist...
they come armed with slices of lemon...if you dont give them a treat...you need to suck the lemon as punishment...:ROFL1: :ROFL1:

nannymcflea
31-10-2009, 09:33 PM
We ran out of sweets,seems the whole village comes out in force,we usually have loads left,so we stopped answering the door!:laughing:

Tatia
31-10-2009, 09:34 PM
they come armed with slices of lemon...if you dont give them a treat...you need to suck the lemon as punishment...
And so you should!!! :laughing:

I take a bag of sweeties out with me when trick-or-treating with my DD so that I can hand them out to all the little goblins I see. :thumbsup:

Blackhorse
31-10-2009, 09:40 PM
that's a good idea..

we only had 2 lots of children at the door tonight...despite the pumpkin with candle outside the door...
so I am left with lots of candy that we dont eat/like...:(

any ideas of what to do with it??

It is a nightmare...if one year I dont have any...there are hundreds of kids...then the next year I stock up...and none or hardly any show up...must be one of Murphy's law's....:D

Pudding Girl
31-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Do you have a childrens ward near you? Or a refuge or anything like that?

Blackhorse
31-10-2009, 10:17 PM
I dont think I do....need to check that out!

Pauline
31-10-2009, 10:25 PM
We had a load of lollipops but only 3 children turned up.

I asked where they were from, just in case they were neighbours kids I didn't recognise in their outfits, "from xxxx" (about 8miles away!!) was the reply.

"Oh" I said, "are you visiting someone on the street then?" I asked "mmmmmmm" came the disinterested reply as they eyed the lollipops

I still don't know if they were just travelling an 8 mile radius looking for potential treats or if they were in the area anyway. :laughing:

Anyone want a lollipop? :D

Mollymop
31-10-2009, 10:34 PM
haha!! Funny!

Guess what?:blush: :blush: Darren took us by car to each street.... me and my kids trick or treated and Darren sat in the car at the end of each road and watch Wolverine on DVD in the car waiting for us to finsih that road to go to the next one!! Bad Dad and lazy me...

But the kids managed to Tesco bag half way EACH!
:clapping:

THe trick or treaters I had this year ... most of them need to learn some manners!!!!!!!!!!

LOOPYLISA
31-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Me and hubs went out and dd was at a halloween party :thumbsup:

Thats how i like it :D

David Sheppard
31-10-2009, 11:12 PM
haha!! Funny!

Guess what?:blush: :blush: Darren took us by car to each street.... me and my kids trick or treated and Darren sat in the car at the end of each road and watch Wolverine on DVD in the car waiting for us to finsih that road to go to the next one!! Bad Dad and lazy me...

But the kids managed to Tesco bag half way EACH!
:clapping:

THe trick or treaters I had this year ... most of them need to learn some manners!!!!!!!!!!

You didn't drive all the way to my house did you!!!! LOL :p

jelly15
01-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Most of my neighbours have gone to a party at the other end of the village, as has mt DH (well it is his niece's 18th). I have had to stay home and answer the door to all the trick or treaters because my DS1 aged 17 has a very high fever and even at his age I am not going to leave him home alone when he is ill.

I heard a loud wailing outside the door so I opened it and there was the tiniest ghost I had ever seen, crying, he had dropped all his loot into a puddle on my driveway (his big brother was watching from the road, he wasn't alone). I gave him half of my stash and I had to hope I didn't get too many more.

peanuts
01-11-2009, 08:00 AM
i had one wee boy aged 5 going around on his own. i asked who it was as he had a mask on before allowing him into my hallway. said his mum said it was ok, wait till i see her on the way to school on monday, wee one got sent away after his joke with a safety warning as he was knocking on every door. I couldnt believe how irrisponsible the parents were to let a 5 year old out on his own in the dark knowing on every door, he doesnt even stay in our street.

neighbours kids went out wiht a crownd of 8, when they came to my door they were politely told not everyone opens their doors to big crowds and they would be easier splitting up into smaller groups, they did that and then 2 of them came back later to my door, when i said that they had already been given something all they said was it was worth another try.

i took my dd(8) and her friend round about 5.30 as i had a night out, we only go to a few doors in the street now as no-one opens the doors as we get lots of people round, we go to the back doors of certain houses as they dont open the front doors on the 31st.
I made up 30 bags last year and then had to find more stuff,taking my youngest dd out no-one answered the doors so this year i only got fin sie sweets .

miss mopple
01-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Im clearly the meanest childminder in town as I put a note out telling them not to knock :laughing:

My DD1 thinks Im a real witch for not letting her go trick or treating but I hate it with a passion so dont care :p She'll get over it :)

Tatia
01-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Out of curiousity (and not to start any arguements or anything:) ), if you don't like Halloween or trick-or-treating, can you explain why? I find it very interesting because I love Halloween and always have. It's my favourite night of the year, even more than Xmas. :clapping: I don't think it's just because I'm American as there are plenty of people in The States who don't open their doors and there are plenty of people over here who decorate and seem to really enjoy it. I just like to understand other people. :)

miss mopple
01-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Personally I just dont get it to be honest. I dont approve of trick or treating at all and neither does DH.

I remember one halloween when DD1 was about 2 and trick or treaters knocked on the door and I opened it. It scared the living daylights out of her to see them all dressed up. I refuse to open the door to them now as DD2 is only 3 and it would have the same effect and also because I simply dont agree with knocking on doors asking for sweets. Its just not right IMO.

I know alot of people love it, but I just dont get the appeal, grumpy old woman that I am :laughing:

David Sheppard
01-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Im clearly the meanest childminder in town as I put a note out telling them not to knock :laughing:

My DD1 thinks Im a real witch for not letting her go trick or treating but I hate it with a passion so dont care :p She'll get over it :)

Good on you for sticking to your principles. There are very many people who find the whole 'Halloween, All Hallows Eve' or 'Trick or Treat' offensive for all manner of reasons. I've just opened a new thread in Minding Chat covering just this question. Why not pop over there and add your thoughts?

Regards,

David

mandy moo
01-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Personally I just dont get it to be honest. I dont approve of trick or treating at all and neither does DH.

I remember one halloween when DD1 was about 2 and trick or treaters knocked on the door and I opened it. It scared the living daylights out of her to see them all dressed up. I refuse to open the door to them now as DD2 is only 3 and it would have the same effect and also because I simply dont agree with knocking on doors asking for sweets. Its just not right IMO.

I know alot of people love it, but I just dont get the appeal, grumpy old woman that I am :laughing:

Notquite the same but
I had a belated Birthday/Halloweenparty for DS2, we had 8 kids here, all dressed up and face painted, when my 26 mth old mindee turned up,
I had decorated the walls in the living room and dining room with large room decorating posters, with ghost and stuff on them, the curtains were shut and only had one lamp on, so I guess it didnt look like Mandys house IYSWIM to him.
He really wasnt sure, judging by the expression on his face, about any of it.
Bless:)

Hebs
01-11-2009, 10:19 AM
i hate trick or treaters too :panic:

Alibali
01-11-2009, 05:23 PM
that's a good idea..

we only had 2 lots of children at the door tonight...despite the pumpkin with candle outside the door...
so I am left with lots of candy that we dont eat/like...:(

any ideas of what to do with it??

It is a nightmare...if one year I dont have any...there are hundreds of kids...then the next year I stock up...and none or hardly any show up...must be one of Murphy's law's....:D

Glasgow city mission would love it! It's a christian charity for the homeless. Do you still go to Little Creations? If so the church sends food parcels to them weekly so you could take it along there:D