PDA

View Full Version : Is it fair to get children to tidy up?

AliceK
30-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi
I've just been reading the Buskers Guide to Playworking and it seems to say that you shouldn't make children tidy away after themselves :eek: . Now I have always taught my own children DS5 and DD2 to tidy up after themselves or in the case of DD to at least make an effort with helping me do it and I think it's good to get children to understand that they should tidy up and not everything will just get magically tidied up by the fairies and I was planning to implement this practice with any mindees I have who are old enough. What are your thoughts on this? Do your mindees have to help with tidying up or do you think Ofsted will frown on this?

xxxxx

sarah707
30-10-2009, 03:48 PM
We put on some music or sing songs and all tidy up together.

We make it fun, it's part of learning to respect the resources.

It also links to Psr&n - matching toys to different boxes etc :D

AliceK
30-10-2009, 04:06 PM
We put on some music or sing songs and all tidy up together.

We make it fun, it's part of learning to respect the resources.

It also links to Psr&n - matching toys to different boxes etc :D

I love it :laughing: :laughing:

amanda1309
30-10-2009, 04:35 PM
we have tidy up time and the kids seem to enjoy it. lol

Daftbat
30-10-2009, 04:38 PM
How on earth are children supposed to learn about responsibility and taking care of things if you don't get them to help tidy up etc. Has the world REALLY gone this:doh: mad??????

Blaze
30-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Playwork applies to 4-14 year olds & is governed by the playwork principles - being a playworker is different to being a childcarer - you can combine the 2, but there has to be a bit of give & tidying up after yourself is part of the give!

(I am in the process of doing a playwork qualification)!

HTH:)

flora
30-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Mine donn't tidy up all the time, but yes of course it is ok to get them to help :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
30-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Mine help me to tidy away so that we can move on to more activities and they love it. I have pictures on my boxes and they love matching the toys up.

jo f
30-10-2009, 05:49 PM
I think its a very important part of any session, working as a team and encourages children to take care of possesions, like mentioned it can be fun!

patevans
30-10-2009, 05:57 PM
My minded children cant wait to tidy up, they all run when we start to sing the tidy up song :laughing:

Alibali
30-10-2009, 06:04 PM
My youngest mindee, 12 months has started helping to tidy up without being asked because he sees the others do it and loves the praise they all get when a good job is done:thumbsup:

Tatjana
30-10-2009, 06:16 PM
I think it's very fair, it's teaching them life skills:D and Ofsted won't frown on it, at my inspection she enquired if mindee helps and said it was great!

xx

Blackhorse
30-10-2009, 06:47 PM
How on earth are children supposed to learn about responsibility and taking care of things if you don't get them to help tidy up etc. Has the world REALLY gone this:doh: mad??????

exactly what I was thinking...

thanks daftbat!:laughing: :laughing:

helenlc
30-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Mine are encouraged to help up. Especially the 18 month old as she has a tendency to just pull things out and drop them straight on the floor then walk away!:angry: I get her to take some bits back every now and then so she can learn to be responsible for her mess!!! She is getting good at it now!!:D