PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something here

Pipsqueak
30-10-2009, 03:22 PM
My friend (and my son's c/m) has had her 'variation' come through finally but she had to talk it through with an inspector on the phone as well.

Now this inspector has advised her that:

variations are not so you can increase or go over your numbers under any circumstances - so if your certificate says 5 children then you CANNOT go over this for any reason whatsoever - not even for continuity of care or siblings.
The only way she can increase/go over her numbers is by having an assistant for those hours - so my friend asked about her husband and was told that yes he could and the inspector then put down her husband as her assistant - over the phone.

Now I am really confused:

a) I think the inspector is talking twaddle - unless the rules have changed recently
b) thought you had to do the EY2 form for an assistant.

I have told my friend to record the conversation and to get written clarification of this from Ofsted.

Or, as I say - am I missing something here?

nikim
30-10-2009, 03:33 PM
is that because her husband would of already filled out an ey2 form when she started minding ?, ive just had to do one for my son as hes just turned 16, aswell as a crb and you fill in exactly the same bits as you do for an assistant apart from the section where it asks why you are filling in the form :rolleyes:

Daftbat
30-10-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't think that what the inspector has said is correct - what would be the point of a variation atherwise. If you can't go over your numbers you don't need one, and if you are working with an assistant you won't need one as it will already say what the numbers are on your dox.

Pipsqueak
30-10-2009, 03:46 PM
no her husband wasn't her assistant in the first place and perhaps I didn't mean the EY2 form - I meant which ever one it is for assistants.

Daftbat - I did think it was wrong what the inspector has said

TheBTeam
30-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I was told that with the variation you can not go over the overall under 8's that you are registered for, but what they can do with a variation is say raise the number in the under 5 age group, but this would effectively reduce the number of under 8's to make the overall total not increase, iyswim.

LittleStar's
30-10-2009, 03:56 PM
I have just filled an EY2 form in for my husband to become my assistant even though he filled the same one in a couple of months ago when I registered. I then had to fill a variation form in to change my numbers , I have not had a response yet as only just sent but was told when I rang that they would not allow me more than 6 children but will give me more EYFS spaces. Not sure how long it takes though!!!

Goatgirl
30-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Hi,
I think the EY2 form is used for both over 16 people who live in the house and for assistants ; its basically to put their details through a crb check....

And as i understand it, you can't go over your numbers with a variation, just increase the number within an age range IYSWIM ; so... on my registration I can have 3 under 5 but only 6 under 8 in total, so if I had 5 places filled but was asked to have another under 5 when I already have 3 under 5's, I could only do that with a variation. But if all my under 8 places were filled, I'd not be able to take the child on unless I had an assistant...
I Think ....

bws,
Wendy :)

sarah707
30-10-2009, 04:00 PM
I had to complete a CRB and EY2 for my 16 year old and she can't be my assistant until she's 17!

I think the inspector was wrong as well Pips :rolleyes:

nikim
30-10-2009, 04:08 PM
sorry what i meant was the ey2 form is filled in by everyone in the houshold over 16 when you first register and is exactly the same one you would be sent if you were asking for an assistant , on mine it asked the reason for the application the options were to register as a childminder, to register as an assistant and because the applicant is over 16 and lives on the premises where chilminding takes place , hth :) , she can of course only increase her numbers when she receives a certificate stating that , it will say something along the lines of " can increase the number of children to x when working with an assistant " i think it will also have the name of the assistant on it too, also is she sure she spoke to an inspector and not one of their call centre staff who no absoluley nothing about minding :rolleyes:

Mouse
30-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi,

And as i understand it, you can't go over your numbers with a variation, just increase the number within an age range IYSWIM ; so... on my registration I can have 3 under 5 but only 6 under 8 in total, so if I had 5 places filled but was asked to have another under 5 when I already have 3 under 5's, I could only do that with a variation. But if all my under 8 places were filled, I'd not be able to take the child on unless I had an assistant...
I Think ....

bws,
Wendy :)

That's what I thought. You could have a variation to have, say, 4 in the EY range, but still can't go over your total number (ie. 6 under 8s). If you had 4 in EYFS you could only have a maximum of 2 in the older range.
Unless you have an assistant, you will not be allowed to go above the maximum number you are registered for (ie. as a sole cm, you would never be granted a variation allowing you to have 7 under 8s. The most they will ever let you have is 6).

...or so I thought :rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
30-10-2009, 04:52 PM
sorry I haven't explained very well - the variation is for under 5's (obviously daytimes) for 1.5hrs on one day a week - a cross over between one child coming and one leaving as one parent increased her hours.

julie w
30-10-2009, 05:44 PM
My daughter was allowed to be my assistant as soon as she turned 16 (after filling out the forms) and I was allowed to increase my numbers from 6 to 9 under 8's during the summer holidays when she helped me. I have just had a variation to have 2 under ones.

Mouse
30-10-2009, 05:50 PM
sorry I haven't explained very well - the variation is for under 5's (obviously daytimes) for 1.5hrs on one day a week - a cross over between one child coming and one leaving as one parent increased her hours.

If she's still within her overall total number, I can't see what the problem is then? Another example of speaking to someone at Ofsted who doesn't know what they're talking about? :rolleyes:

nannymcflea
30-10-2009, 06:08 PM
I was told that with the variation you can not go over the overall under 8's that you are registered for, but what they can do with a variation is say raise the number in the under 5 age group, but this would effectively reduce the number of under 8's to make the overall total not increase, iyswim.

Yep, if you are registered for 5 then then you can only have 5, a variation takes into account ages not numbers.(this is what i was told)

Don't know about the hubby bit.