PDA

View Full Version : Suitable drinking cups

mpoppins
29-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Just wondering if anybody can recommend a good drinking cup for the under 5's. A lot of the non drip cups are really hard to drink out of but I need to find a good one because I have tiled and laminate floors. Don't want to have the teat type.

Trouble
29-10-2009, 07:53 PM
there is some that dont tip but i dont know what the name of them are

what about a flask type like they have for school lunch boxes:D

i have nubby ones you buy out of tesco they are like a flask with a straw none spill:clapping: :clapping:

sarah707
29-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I use the ones like drinking bottles - you pop the middle up.

I got the last lot from Tesco in different colours.

The children seem to like them... they have one each.

Until they can sit and drink properly they have the sippy cups, the floor would be too dangerous otherwise :D

tulip0803
29-10-2009, 08:25 PM
I use sports bottles types too.:D

Dragonfly
29-10-2009, 08:37 PM
I teach childen to drink from normal toddler cups without lids but with one or two hands as young as possible.keeping sports bottles etc for when we are out and about.

madasahatter
29-10-2009, 08:43 PM
I use sports style bottles for water which is freely available all day, but we use normal beakers (no lids) at the table with all children who are able to use them (for snacktimes and lunchtime). I start weaning them off the free flow lidded beakers from around 20 to 24 months. As far as lidded beakers are concerned I buy ones from poundland, one for each child that needs one.

Pudding Girl
29-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Sport type bottles (old water etc ones actually) for the on the go drink of water, cups at the table.

Younger babies have tommee tippee sippy cups and I just mop up after them, I think they are the best cups for little ones. a bit of water doesn't hurt my laminate :)

The Juggler
29-10-2009, 09:59 PM
I use sports bottles with water so spillages not really a problem. or sitting at table, use the normal cups/tumblers.

Look in the educational catalogues for the fab beakers with handles that have a sort of cone around them so they don't tip as easily or if you definiately want one with lid for littlies, the tommee tippee ones. they don't have valves they just have a spout with one hole and then the spout folds flat to prevent spillages. they leak a little if left lying but are pretty good.

PixiePetal
29-10-2009, 10:03 PM
I use sports bottles with water so spillages not really a problem. or sitting at table, use the normal cups/tumblers.

Look in the educational catalogues for the fab beakers with handles that have a sort of cone around them so they don't tip as easily or if you definiately want one with lid for littlies, the tommee tippee ones. they don't have valves they just have a spout with one hole and then the spout folds flat to prevent spillages. they leak a little if left lying but are pretty good.

I have a few wide bottom cups - 'steady cups' i think they are called. Quite small so minimum spills if any.

The Juggler
29-10-2009, 10:33 PM
I have a few wide bottom cups - 'steady cups' i think they are called. Quite small so minimum spills if any.

that's the ones, they are great. they have them at our local children's centre.

Heaven Scent
30-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Our childrens Centre are promoting those Doidy cups - I have 3 and think they are rubbish all of my kiddies end up with drinks all down them when they use them.

My playroom floor is carpeted with a wool carpet so I can't keep getting it wet so I have bottles with sports type lids for older kiddies and I'm afraid to admit non spill sippy cups for the younger ones for their water which they have free accesss to all day - trouble is they never access it freely unless I remind them - bottles just end up being kicked around the playroom floor.

At meal times they have water with their meals and are offered milk or diluted pure juice after either in normal sippy cups (not non spill), their bottle, or in a normal cup for older children. At snack they are offered milk or water again in normal sippy cups, or normal cups.

I do like the idea of the steady up cups but as I have so many cups and bottles in my cupboards at the moment I don't have any room for any more - DH goes mad with all the plastic stuff.

mpoppins
30-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks everyone:)
Just don't want children slipping around on spilt water!

Chatterbox Childcare
30-10-2009, 01:46 PM
I teach mine to drink straight from a cup when they come off of the bottle so we do not use cups indoors.

When we go out I take the NIKE drink bottles as they have to suck hard to get the liquid out and then there isn't any spillage and no top to pull up and push down

gemhei
30-10-2009, 06:50 PM
My under 2's use a sports bottle. I got a set of 4 mini ones from the pound shop and they love them! Over 2's are taught to use a beaker, DD been using a beaker since she was 15mths.

singingcactus
30-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Not sure if you meant under 5's or under 2's. My under 2's use a tommee tippee on the go bottle - like a sports bottle but with a softer spout for little teeth, and my over 2's drink from a regular drinking glass tumbler. We keep them all in one place, they go to their drink have what they want then replace them on the tray and go off and play. If I had laminate I would just buy a cheep rag rug for the kids to stand on while they drink, since they don't move around with them then the whole floor wouldn't get wet anyway.