PDA

View Full Version : Outings risk assessments - clarification from Ofsted

sarah707
29-10-2009, 07:01 PM
I was approached by a childminder recently who was challenged during her inspection to produce risk assessments for all her outings, including outings in the rain!

There was also the situation where the Eyfs says one thing and the Inspector's Handbook says another. :rolleyes:

I was slightly confused so, as ever, I thought it best to approach Ofsted direct for a reply.

Well, here's what they say on the subject :D

In your query below, you ask for clarification on risk assessment for outings.

We do not insist on a separate risk assessment for each outing but for each type of outing, as set out in the Statutory Framework page 24.

This does not mean that a provider has to carry out a full risk assessment before every outing providing there is one in place for that type of outing. For example, a regular outing to the local park would need a full risk assessment before the first time it occurred, but after that time the provider need only consider the risks for the outing and take appropriate measures to counteract them. However a one-off outing, for example, to the beach for the day would need a separate full risk assessment.

Although the need to carry out a full risk assessment for each type of outing is a specific legal requirement, it is not a specific legal requirement for the record of risk assessment to include outings though it is good practice for all providers to do so as it keeps the risks associated with outings at the forefront of what providers do.

Yours Sincerely

Michael West
Early Years & Childcare
Frameworks Policy & Guidance

Trouble
29-10-2009, 07:05 PM
nice one sarah:clapping: :clapping:

i feel you should work there :D

Playmate
29-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Thank you Sarah :clapping: :clapping:

christine e
29-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks Sarah

Cx

ORKSIE
29-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Thankyou x

jumpinjen
29-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Outings in the rain?

I have a general one for school runs, parks (we go to lots of different ones so it covers all of them), soft play (we go to two different ones occasionally) national trust properties (we go to several regularly) using the car, stay and play at the children's centre, playgroup...... what else should i have do you think?

Thanks again Sarah, oh champion of all causes - are you on first name terms with the query team at Ofsted now?! ;)

jenni

breezy
29-10-2009, 09:06 PM
thanks again Sarah x

kirka
30-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks for that Sara

cherry
30-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Thank you Sarah :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
30-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I have sent this to my childminding group and DO

Thank you

teacake2
30-10-2009, 03:09 PM
I have recently changed from looking after a 4yr old physically and mentally disabled child to 2 little ones aged 13 and 14 months, because of this I have changed my risk assessments quite a lot to take this into consideration, it is amazing how much they have had to change, sometimes it can get forgotten than the RA's may need adjusting for different age groups, especiall by me.:blush: :blush: :blush:
Teacake2

fucshia
14-11-2009, 02:15 PM
I occaisionally meet friends with their children for lunch at a local cafe and the Harvester on one occaision. I got told by the Ofsted inspector that I must have a risk assessment for doing this. I hadn't thought of that one.

David Sheppard
14-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks for getting clarification of the Ofsted Policy Sarah. :thumbsup:

The other issue here though is the continuing evidence of inconsistency in Ofsted inspectors and inspections. If they are not following their own policies and guidelines or are misinterpreting the current regulations, is it any wonder there are so many posts on this forum about the inspection process.

Knowing the regulations yourself, and then standing up to an inspector if they quote erroneous interpretations, are two very different issues. Hopefully, many more childminders will draw comfort and confidence from clarifications such as this. And, then will be prepared to challenge an inspector if she/he does not follow their own policies.

The issue of inconsistency at Ofsed inspections was raised at the NCMA National Conference. Let's hope that even more pressure is brought to bear to ensure the inspectors are all equally well informed and consistent in the future.

Regards

David

ORKSIE
14-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I was inspected last October, I was one of the first in my area to be inspected under the EYFS standards.

I did not have a Risk assessment in place for outings at the time(I do now) I got an Action on my Report, which I thought was rather harsh. Another CM a couple of roads away from me (Not Nanny McF) got a reccomendation for the same thing, I was a bit miffed to say the least.